Selling Clothes and opening a shop

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
Hello Everyone, I was here on the site back in 2014. I married my then girlfriend and now she is America here with me. Been married for 3 years now. Thank you all for your help in the past. My question to you guys is her family who has no jobs and want to sell clothes in Dominican Republic. They said they have someone who can they can pay $500 to send a box for them to sell. No clue if this is used clothes from New York or new. I think they should open a shop for salon instead since they know how to do hair. My question is, is it profitable to sell clothes in Santiago from your home and also how much is it to rent a shop?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The person sending the box may be the only one that's making any money.

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
I used to date a woman who worked for a shipping company in Oakland CA, she told me about the amount of used clothes going out by container ship.. I've heard that Haiti is flooded with used clothes as a means of goodwill.. many of which end up in DR for sale ... but I have not confirmed to be true. I have seen large boxes for sale in the fashion district of Los Angeles. basically its a bunch of random stuff from liquidations, store fires, bankruptcies, police raids etc. thrown in a box and sold by weight. no choice on whats in the box.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
When lived on the space coast in Florida, the goodwill shops would be inundated with haitians going through everything an boxing it up for shipment.

RickJames2000

Feb 19, 2014
I am thinking it is not going to make money. I told my wife the $500 will be a loan to her not to her family so I can get my money back. She believes in it. Some of the clothes and shoes have price tags on them which still does not mean it is new. I am trying to figure out the quantity of the items.

I want her family to work and not count on us. My ideas are a salon or an Airbnb type. I think those are more profitable.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Problem is they will sell the clothes for whatever because it was not their money to begin with. Spending it as they make it on whatever. Your $500 will make them $300 and then what? Marry a Dominican girl you marry the whole family. Good luck.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Price tags can be trouble - like 18% duty - Always remove price tags.

I thought in recent past, laws were pasted regarding import of used clothing not for personal use.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I have a relative who sells children's clothes in a small shop here. She travels to us every month to buy discounted clothes at stores like Ross, and I think she's doing OK.

I think you can make money if you find the clothes and sizes you know will sell, at discount stores, and ship them cheap. If you buy a random box, not so much.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Problem is they will sell the clothes for whatever because it was not their money to begin with. Spending it as they make it on whatever. Your $500 will make them $300 and then what?

This is exactly the main problem, IMO. My wife used to have a small business selling clothes from our house years ago, and was very succssful.

The main thing, as far as I've seen, is not necessarily where to source the items for sale (we did many trips to Santiago), as no matter if you sell a ton, if you have no clue how to administrate the business, you will make no money.

jimbobo

Feb 9, 2014
Hahahahaha

Just give her the 500 dollars you will end up much cheaper that way.... you cannot teach a dominicana anything NOTHING

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Drive by any construction site here on a payday and you will have 20 families selling used clothing to the workers. Like anything here if its a good idea everybody will copy it until it dies.
The word and practice of originality does not exist among the Dominicans.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am thinking it is not going to make money. I told my wife the $500 will be a loan to her not to her family so I can get my money back. She believes in it. Some of the clothes and shoes have price tags on them which still does not mean it is new. I am trying to figure out the quantity of the items.

I want her family to work and not count on us. My ideas are a salon or an Airbnb type. I think those are more profitable.

I had to laugh ….I told my wife the 500 is loan to her so I can get my money back …..this is hilarious
my mother told me years ago …...never a lender or a borrower be …….

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Drive by any construction site here on a payday and you will have 20 families selling used clothing to the workers. Like anything here if its a good idea everybody will copy it until it dies.
The word and practice of originality does not exist among the Dominicans.

I take it you have made several investments as such in your home nation or others, in order to be able to compare and contrast with such a broad sweeping statement.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Hello Everyone, I was here on the site back in 2014. I married my then girlfriend and now she is America here with me. Been married for 3 years now. Thank you all for your help in the past. My question to you guys is her family who has no jobs and want to sell clothes in Dominican Republic. They said they have someone who can they can pay $500 to send a box for them to sell. No clue if this is used clothes from New York or new. I think they should open a shop for salon instead since they know how to do hair. My question is, is it profitable to sell clothes in Santiago from your home and also how much is it to rent a shop?

Do not invest ANY money until you get ALL the details. This is not restricted to the RD alone. Clothing that would be profitable to sell out of a storefront location would not be good will/donated/charity/second hand/used items, but rather more fashion trendy items, which change at the blink of an eye. What was popular yesterday is old today.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I know several women here in Jarabacoa that make a weekly trip to Dajabon to buy clothing. They must do ok as they have been doing it for about five years.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Go buy your wife a dress ,new shoes and new hair style at least when it’s over you will get $500 in kisses...loaning her money your joking right because that ain’t going to end well...

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I know several women here in Jarabacoa that make a weekly trip to Dajabon to buy clothing. They must do ok as they have been doing it for about five years.

Are they profiting, or surviving? I assume they sell independently, such as out of the house, patio, door to door, or even la pulga. Maintaining a storefront operation as such would be quite the task with overhead considerations.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Are they profiting, or surviving? I assume they sell independently, such as out of the house, patio, door to door, or even la pulga. Maintaining a storefront operation as such would be quite the task with overhead considerations.

I\ve never asked because it isn't my business. I do know they own their houses. They rent a storefront.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I always assumed sending anything other than used clothing and food is subject to a lot of import tax.