Switching colegio before the school year ends?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yep, we will move again (will ask in another thread more about the new destination :D).

Here is my question:

Say, a family needs to move to another town for work reasons or whatever and the kids have to be taken out of school in one town and inscribed into another school at another place before the school year ends.

I have contradicting information. One says the school / law would not allow that, others argue (and I too) that people move all the time and this can not depend on a school when someone is allowed to move or not.

Anybody?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have always heard the same - that you can only move at the end/beginning of a school year. They all have specific registration days before the beginning of the year. i suggest the best thing to do is ask the principal of the school you are thinking to move to.

Matilda

Feb 7, 2007
I have seen kids being moved in/out throughout the school year both in private and public schools here (Higuey).

In public schools it might be more difficult (hard to find space even in the registration period) but with private colegios you should have no problems. In my daughter's colegio, kids come in and are taken out during the year, have seen it with my own eyes several times. Some may be more permissive than others, some may be restrictive and say no-go, but there is no law that would prohibit it, to my knowledge.

Also, my associate's wife is vice-principal in one of the well known bilingual colegios in Bavaro and they get kids throughout the year as well.