With the Breeze Comes Quinientos Pesos

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
This evening I had to leave the house to pick up my wife coming home from downtown.

As I walked down the driveway to open the driveway gate, I saw a folded $500 peso bill on the ground. I naturally figured I dropped it when I came home about 5 hours earlier and closed the gate. Thinking about it, I could not come up with how i could possibly have dropped it.

So, I searched and played back the security video which showed the folded $500 peso bill in the driveway being blown around in the breeze. (Camera is about 50 feet away) Going backwards and then one frame at a time forward, I saw that it blew in under the driveway gate from outside.

I then switched to another security camera showing the outside of the gate and saw the folded $500 peso bill blow under the driveway gate. Going backwards again and then one frame at a time I saw a neighbor walking pass the gate with his left hand in his pocket and walking with his cane in his right hand. That was about an hour earlier from the time I found the money. As he proceeded walking past the gate, he removed his left hand from his pocket and the folded $500 peso bill could be seen on the security camera falling out of his pocket. (The camera is about 40 feet away)

He lives down the hill from us and they are very poor.
I drove down to his house and asked him if he lost anything earlier.

He hesitated to answer, so I asked again and again.
He finally said one word, Quinientos.

The family was very happy to get the money back. As I left, they were telling their neighbors how my cameras helped them get their Quinientos back. It felt really nice seeing how happy they were.

Good security cameras come in handy for a variety of things, not just recording ladrones!

Don

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
are you sure this is not the money that is sent monthly from god to our gringo bank accounts?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This evening I had to leave the house to pick up my wife coming home from downtown.

As I walked down the driveway to open the driveway gate, I saw a folded $500 peso bill on the ground. I naturally figured I dropped it when I came home about 5 hours earlier and closed the gate. Thinking about it, I could not come up with how i could possibly have dropped it.

So, I searched and played back the security video which showed the folded $500 peso bill in the driveway being blown around in the breeze. (Camera is about 50 feet away) Going backwards and then one frame at a time forward, I saw that it blew in under the driveway gate from outside.

I then switched to another security camera showing the outside of the gate and saw the folded $500 peso bill blow under the driveway gate. Going backwards again and then one frame at a time I saw a neighbor walking pass the gate with his left hand in his pocket and walking with his cane in his right hand. That was about an hour earlier from the time I found the money. As he proceeded walking past the gate, he removed his left hand from his pocket and the folded $500 peso bill could be seen on the security camera falling out of his pocket. (The camera is about 40 feet away)

The family was very happy to get the money back. As I left, they were telling their neighbors how my cameras helped them get their Quinientos back. It felt really nice seeing how happy they were.

Good security cameras come in handy for a variety of things, not just recording ladrones!

Don

hopefully, the force will repay you for this, many times over. these are the acts that put a smile on my heart..

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Cropped video of the errant Quinientos escaping his pocket.

2nu0x6u.jpg

"I'll take Breezes for 500 Alex"

Last edited:

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
It's a great feeling when you lose something and it turns up unexpectedly. I think you have a friend for life :) Thanks for sharing this!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The world needs more people like you. This story put a smile on my face this afternoon.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Doing nice stuff does feel good.

I went to the ATM at the Esso petrol station in Cabarete the other day and noticed that the previous user had left his card in the slot. I withdrew it and noted that the card owner had a Western name from an American bank. I thought I'd try my luck and see if there was a guest by the same name in the Wyndham hotel over the road. Turns out there was and a very happy camper he was too!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I am constantly amazed how people handle money (Not just here)

Hand some folks some bills, and they just shove it in their pocket. Or worse, roll all of their bills into a ball.

I have used a money clip all my life and always have my bills in order of value, face up, etc

My father taught me well....lol

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am constantly amazed how people handle money (Not just here)

Hand some folks some bills, and they just shove it in their pocket. Or worse, roll all of their bills into a ball.

I have used a money clip all my life and always have my bills in order of value, face up, etc

My father taught me well....lol

We both may have a bit of OCD, my wallet is exactly like your clip.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Good deed of the day Don.

Nice gesture.

I try to do a good deed at least once a day.:)

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Don

Doing the right thing. There is still hope in the world. Thankyou.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Don, those new HD cameras you installed work great.......

I've got three camera systems in different places, and the quality of cameras is really something.

I have one set of 5 in my house by a company called WYZE. Each camera is only 20 dollars (Pan/tilt/zoom 40 dollars) that have as good an image as Don's cameras.

They run through my home WIFI and I watch them on my cel phone. Videos are stored on a micro card in the camera.

I've got the same system as Don at work and it's great, but now anybody can have a low cost system in their home that is nearly as good.