Traffic lights in Cabarete

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I wonder if anyone has the ear of Cabarete's mayor to proclaim the absurdity of the traffic lights by the entrance to La Callejon. Huge traffic queues on the Eastbound carriageway because they only stay green long enough for about six or seven vehicles.

I think it was installed to limit the amount of motorcyclists killed at that junction, but motos, along with taxis and guaguas seem to ignore them anyway. Just yesterday, a white Honda Oddessy with a taxi sign on its roof, overtook the entire queue of traffic waiting at the lights and then ran the red light.

The phasing of these lights is completely wrong. I know nothing of town planning or traffic management, but surely it's obvious that these lights are not fit for purpose.

The only time the traffic runs smoothly through Cabarete is when there is a power cut.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
It must be stuck in Ocean Dream/Callejon rush hour mode. Lol

Couldn't agree more though beeza. Ive been tempted myself to run it on occasion.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Too bad so many run lights. It is either irresponsible motos (this is 95%) or taxis, usually in Sonatas, or some ass-hat in a big SUV wearing gold chains who thinks he's the Dominican's next reggaton super star.
Either way you have to be super careful because a light means nothing to many people here.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I think it's slightly safer than it was before the lights, but I always check for the many who think traffic laws don't apply to them.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
Gringos and non-gringos on motos and in cars and trucks run the light there all the time. I think the people living here know to take extra care, but I worry about the seasonal people and tourists renting cars because they will probably not be looking as careful for the people running the red lights and the craziness that goes on at that intersection.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Maybe it's time for AMET to come and do something useful for a change - make an example of a few law breakers.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Where red light running is rampant...

the question always is --

are they running the red.... or jumping the green ???

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Where red light running is rampant...

the question always is --

are they running the red.... or jumping the green ???

They are just driving straight thru it with no true understanding what color it is. This is due to the lack of common sense and an IQ of a goat, and total disregard of others.