Rocky's Aqua End of the Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When you make a deal and try to screw someone like Big Frank it does not end well. Shut down today by Police and everything removed.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm sure they'll be some court battles coming down the road. I certainly wouldn't want to be in the middle of it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This guy screwed Big Frank out of $200,000 US. PERIOD................... Now he is paying..................

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Lots of speculation on what happened today. My take is when Frank didn't get fully paid he placed a lien on Rocky's which was triggered by a rental agreement signed on Tuesday of this week. The deal with Rocky and a guy named Jason was he would rent the restaurant from Rocky and pay rent. Rocky would still own the property; just a normal sub lease.

What we know is Frank admits that today's action was his doing and I can't blame him for trying to get his money. What's sad is the workers at Rocky's are out of a job. They are very nice people who have worked for years at Jose O'Shay and now Rocky's.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Lots of speculation on what happened today. My take is when Frank didn't get fully paid he placed a lien on Rocky's which was triggered by a rental agreement signed on Tuesday of this week. The deal with Rocky and a guy named Jason was he would rent the restaurant from Rocky and pay rent. Rocky would still own the property; just a normal sub lease.

What we know is Frank admits that today's action was his doing and I can't blame him for trying to get his money. What's sad is the workers at Rocky's are out of a job. They are very nice people who have worked for years at Jose O'Shay and now Rocky's.

That is the truly sad part of this. I know many of the employees there and they are truly hardworking and very nice. I wish them the best.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

I would be surprised if the property was sold without a lien on all assets, real or otherwise.

If you don't pay the note, you get foreclosed, which looks like eviction.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This guy screwed Big Frank out of $200,000 US. PERIOD................... Now he is paying..................
I suspect Big Frank still has the assets, so he's not really screwed out of $200,000, unless the real property was not included in the deal.

I sold my restaurant/bar to a doctor in FL who stopped paying within a year. I had to burn through money for lawyers to get a judgement for the balance owed, $125,000. He filed BK and all his asstes were in his expansive home...which is untouchable under FL bankruptcy laws. I suspect its easier and cheaper to go through the same process in the DR.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This bar was/is a landmark in Cabarete, one of the first on the strip from what I recall. Sadly you could see by the lack of customers especially since the new changeover, that a problem was looming. This said, I would guess not many of those bars are making much if anything due to a short tourist season and stiff competition.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
This bar was/is a landmark in Cabarete, one of the first on the strip from what I recall. Sadly you could see by the lack of customers especially since the new changeover, that a problem was looming. This said, I would guess not many of those bars are making much if anything due to a short tourist season and stiff competition.
How did Jose's survive so long?

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016

That certainly is sad news. I feel bad for all involved but especially the hard working employees there. Hopefully it will all get worked out and reopen again. It was a great place

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
How did Jose's survive so long?

Jose O Shay's was losing clients mainly because of high prices compared to other places on the beach. I think Big Frank saw what was coming and did the intelligent thing, getting out before it was too late. The new guy spent a fortune on refurbishing everything, lost some of the old atmosphere, maintained the high prices, and in recent times clients have been few and far between.

The other Frank who worked there, a regular contributor here, will surely find his services in demand elsewhere.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
He had none of that here. He was in Connecticut with very high prices. He tried it here and crapped out.

Most likely bad management and miscalculated projections based upon poor advice.

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
Jose O Shay's was losing clients mainly because of high prices compared to other places on the beach. I think Big Frank saw what was coming and did the intelligent thing, getting out before it was too late. The new guy spent a fortune on refurbishing everything, lost some of the old atmosphere, maintained the high prices, and in recent times clients have been few and far between.

The other Frank who worked there, a regular contributor here, will surely find his services in demand elsewhere.

To be fair, it wasn't just O Shay's that was losing customers. Almost all of Cabarete has experienced a decreasing amount of tourists in the last few years. Big Frank saw the trend and got out when he had the chance.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
To be fair, it wasn't just O Shay's that was losing customers. Almost all of Cabarete has experienced a decreasing amount of tourists in the last few years. Big Frank saw the trend and got out when he had the chance.
North Coast Syndrome?

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Big Frank has one thing that separates him from most other bar/restaurant entrepreneurs which is charisma. People like hanging out with Big Frank, and the personal interest he takes in his business' reflects greatly towards their success. People patronize his establishments because they're Big Franks. Not just at Jose's , but Molly Malones on STT and the Mexican joint he opened upstairs at Molly's. These too were quite successful before they were sold and neither did as well with the new owners as they were doing while Big Frank owned them. I'm not surprised at Rocky's lackluster performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.