Infos on salaries, please !

ironian

May 4, 2002
pages.infinit.net
Hi everybody ! My girlfriend and I are moving to the DR at the end of october. We started looking for infos on everything. DR1 is great ! Great forum, too ! You guys have answered some of our questions. An important one is remaining : luxurious hotels employees salaries.

I found some infos on the site and it says that a hotel employee makes around RD$3,400 a month. That's about US$200 ! It can't be real or am I missing something ?

Please, send me some infos. Either on this forum or by e-mail.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !

Vicky & Ian

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Depends on what you do. If you are hotel professionals and hired for important positions because of your special skills, your salary will be much higher than if you are hired for a job that can be filled by a local. The best salaries are paid those who are professionals assigned to a hotel by the chain that owns or manages it. At the other end are the local hires. If you have training and experience in hotel services, you would do better by making contact with hotels in advance or your move. If they are interested in you, you would be able to negotiate your salary.

But for most hotel employees, salaries seem very low compared to what someone working in a hotel in the US is paid.

If you want to make comparable money, you will need to be very skilled and experienced, and be able to offer something that can't be provided by someone ready, willing and able to do the same job for less.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
I have dominican friends both men and women, that work in the resorts in Punta Cana, in the restaurants, and been told that their "annual salary" per year is between $8,000.00 to $9,000.00 peos/12 months. They usually have to sign a one year contract. Some are working for even less. Does not include the tips they may received from the tourist. Some of the 5 star resorts even pay them less for the same jobs.

The hotel reception/reservation staff are paid a "little" more, as they speak, Spanish, English, French, German, ect.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Gonzaga, how do th0se hotels get away with that? Those figures are waaay below the minimum wages for hotel work. It depends on the size of the hotel, but the lowest minimum wage for a hotel worker would be approx. $2,000 RD / month.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Hi Jane,

This is what I've been told and it's coming from Dominicans! These are not small hotels in Punta Cana. I'll be talking with my friends on the weekend, and I'll certainly discuss the minimun wage of $2,000.00 RD monthly to see why they are not in this range. Unless it applies to foreign workers, I do not know why. Only know what I've been told.

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Could it be possible those employees get an apartment near the hotel, and get to eat almost all the time at the hotel buffets as integral part of their salary? (Just a thought)

Yes it does seem "bizarre", to say the least....

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
Yes, they do get to eat at the hotels, and they don't have to live on the resort to eat there, just work there. The hotels have their own buses that pick up and drop off their staff in Higuey. They have a choice of renting a room in an area for employees only at the resorts, but it's far more expensive that renting in Higuey, and the disadvantage is that you are sharing a room with others.

Diana

Jan 1, 2002
From speaking with some friends who worked in Punta Cana, I believe if you have hotel experience they will eventually pay you $1500- 2000 pesos/month. But I know their food and accomodation is paid for if they stay at the hotel. However this is only limited to those who live in the capital or somewhere far away from Punta Cana. However if you live in Higuey I think you will have to return home and not have the option of staying in the hotel. Apparently they verify this when you start working.