Moving to nyc. Need advice.

jflorentino

Jul 28, 2018
Hi everyone,

First I"ll talk a little about me, Im just under 30, with a master degree in Spain. Not very happy in DR because I really don't see a bright future and, at the moment, I really need a change in my life. Im US citizen but born and rise in DR. I love to travel, and been away from home and family is not really a problem to me.

I thinking very seriously in moving to NYC and I'll appreciate some advice and information about:

a) job market. I know first months are going to be hard, but are there jobs available. I mean, more or less in average, how many weeks (months..? :( ) I need to get a jobs. Again, I'm not specting work in a big bank earning a lot of money in the first 3 months, mentally I'm GETTING READY myself to do all sort of thing at the beginning.

b)for those that were in my position. here I have a job, a car. Don't have a family to support. Now you are in THE NYC, do you have/feel any regrets about leave your country?

Thank you!!!1

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Hi everyone,

First I"ll talk a little about me, Im just under 30, with a master degree in Spain. Not very happy in DR because I really don't see a bright future and, at the moment, I really need a change in my life. Im US citizen but born and rise in DR. I love to travel, and been away from home and family is not really a problem to me.

I thinking very seriously in moving to NYC and I'll appreciate some advice and information about:

a) job market. I know first months are going to be hard, but are there jobs available. I mean, more or less in average, how many weeks (months..? :( ) I need to get a jobs. Again, I'm not specting work in a big bank earning a lot of money in the first 3 months, mentally I'm GETTING READY myself to do all sort of thing at the beginning.

b)for those that were in my position. here I have a job, a car. Don't have a family to support. Now you are in THE NYC, do you have/feel any regrets about leave your country?

Thank you!!!1

Many of the people on this board, regular members and others are actually financially trapped in the DR. Unless connected or a wealthy family...young people should get out.

You did not say what your skillset or degree is but dont overlook the cost of rent in NY. Real high! Hopefully you have have a place to live prearranged.

The job market is great. You will find something. The city of new york (govt) gives away good paying jobs like candy. I knew people that became correction officers in what seemed like overnight. I think those exams are given daily on a walk in basis. Lots of other city jobs.

jflorentino

Jul 28, 2018
Thanks a lot for the answer.
Degree in Economics and master in Finances.

About the rent, at the moment im thinking renting a room. I understand is about 300 dollars in long island, is that correct ?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
..If you are serious about moving to USA, I have lived in several places in the USA, NYC is my least favorite....think west or southwest, or maybe southeast..........

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
What town? Long island is long. I am sure there are rooms everywhere. The commute to nyc will cost more than your proposed monthly rent and might take 90 minutes or longer each way. Getting a room in one of the five nyc counties would save you a lot in commuting costs and travel time.

Its a great degree, same as mine, where did you get your masters? With no connections in wall street finding the ideal job might take awhile.

You might be tempted to settle for a low paying job in the long island town where you settle. I would avoid that.

Is your plan to raise a family in the states?

About the rent, at the moment im thinking renting a room. I understand is about 300 dollars in long island, is that correct ?

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
..If you are serious about moving to USA, I have lived in several places in the USA, NYC is my least favorite....think west or southwest, or maybe southeast..........
I agree. Worked in nyc many years. Could not wait to leave. Have a nice place there and still only go for short visits.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Any reason NYC? The $300 is on the low end. You'll find some shared type rentals around that number but most are going to be much more, even for a shared arrangement.

If you want to eventually end up in NYC, maybe look for work (search before you go) along Route 95 from Newark to Boston". There are lots of towns along that stretch and lots of job opportunities. Then you could make an easier move later to NYC.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009

300.00 Gets you a dog kennel with no water. Try Florida for a bit and then graduate to New York. Plenty of jobs here.

Jay Smart

Jul 29, 2018
NYC is the largest concentration of wealth in the world and so the jobs and opportunities are many ... HOWEVER. The quality of life is in decline in my opinion.
- Cost of living is high
- Taxes are high
- getting around / commuting is extremely resource consuming

If you are coming from a Caribbean climate you will find the winter to be oppressive. Of course there are a lot of warm climate people in NY but depression and substance abuse is rampant.

I recommend any city major in Texas (Dallas) or Florida. Where the standard if living is in the increase due to far lower taxes and in many cases better urban development.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi everyone,

Thank you!!!1

There are plenty of jobs in NYC. I would not move there, however, without lining up a job FIRST. Also a MAJOR consideration is the cost of living. It is extremely expensive to live in City. The cost of a one bedroom apartment in a decent neighborhood is $2500-3500 usd per month!!!!!!!!! The taxes you will pay on your income is also hefty. There are federal, State and City taxes. Do you have any relatives in NYC? This would help to give you a chance to get established. I'm assuming you are bi-lingual. This a major plus. You can go online and see what jobs are available and the pay scale for NYC. Be careful what you wish for. Life is much more complicated and faster paced than what you have experienced. If you can get a job that will cover your expenses and still allow you live a decent lifestyle than you could certainly try to experience life in the US. If you decide to move to the NYC area you might want to consider sharing an apartment with others. There is a ton of information on-line check it out and see what others say about living and working in NYC. I was born and lived about 30 minutes from Manhattan. It's certainly a great place to live for a single person but you need to have eyes wide open. Good luck and good travels

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Plenty of co-ops available in Westchester County and The Bronx for under 100k.

NY not as bad as some seem to think so. IMOH...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi everyone,

Thank you!!!1

to NYC? don't do it....

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

@BB - OP is looking for a $300/month crib, sumting tells me he might not have the down payment yet
@OP - AVOID NYC unless you are earning $100K or have a savings account.

Try Miami first please.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004

Wonder what that hood is like. More so the parking and monthly co op fees.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Op. You must have someone in the Bronx or Washington heights crash with for awhile?

Seems most do

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I went through a smiliar dilemna. The longer you wait to move back the more you allow yourself to overthink things. Life, with our strong economy and sense of direction is getting better every day.

I would stay away from NYC and the Dominican community. They are for the most part unsuccessful. Immerse yourself in the American experience and pull the band aid off. With any background in finance and being bilingual you will be fine in Florida. The first year will have its challenges but 4-5 years out, you will regret not having made the move faster.

Florida has nice weather, a Latino population that is largely successful and from varied backgrounds and has affordable real estate.

Best of luck

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

yes you are right .....if you havent traveled most of the country, $300.. I couldnt find parking for my car for that.....lots of money to be made in Texas, and most places low cost of living........

Dov1984

Sep 18, 2016
Hi everyone,

Thank you!!!1
I live in the NYC area but in Northern New Jersey. The Dover/Morristown area. Like many stated anything in NYC will cost you an arm & a leg. Queens or the Bronx are better in as far as rental costs but there are some very dangerous areas. Both NJ & NY have ridiculous taxes. You will find employment in NJ, especially in banking being bi-lingual. You can find rooms in the Dover area for $300 or so, Morristown proably more around $400. Nothing is cheap here.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk