lazy bones restaurant

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
now that we have rocky,s torn up thru dr 1 does anybody know whats going on with lazy bones. have been down for much of july and I have seen very few customers there just as the case was at rocky,s . does anybody know if there are problems as it used to be busy but now it just seems to be a "nobody cares" kinda place. mojito,s right next door was booming all the time but nobody at bones? just wondering?

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
158 views and not one reply? I find that hard to believe on this forum where everybody has an opinionLOL

Feb 7, 2007
You get people reading through, even if they don't know. I am am another eyeball on your thread, yet I have no idea because I don't even know who/what is Lazy Bones. Don't assume everyone who reads has answers, same as not everyone who reads would not know what Lazy Bones is.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Lazy Dog is having problems. The main owner Brian left to go back home to Canada and left his Dominican wife behind. She has no interest in running the business, she just wants money. The other minority owners are scared to go to the restaurant because money is needed for supplies, etc. Supposedly there is a new owner taking over but it's a mess right now.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
It sounds like all of the restaurants along the beach are experiencing the same "downturn". Cabarete used to be a cool little surfing town with cheap beer and great waves. Now it's filled with euro yuppies, expats and trust fund kids who were late to the party. Add the ridiculous LifeStyles timeshare w associated constant traffic jam, the most expensive airport in the DR and ridiculous airbnb/short term housing rent (for the DR) and then wonder where all the kids went. But hey, happy hour on the beach is still fun if you can find parking.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
It sounds like all of the restaurants along the beach are experiencing the same "downturn". Cabarete used to be a cool little surfing town with cheap beer and great waves. Now it's filled with euro yuppies, expats and trust fund kids who were late to the party. Add the ridiculous LifeStyles timeshare w associated constant traffic jam, the most expensive airport in the DR and ridiculous airbnb/short term housing rent (for the DR) and then wonder where all the kids went. But hey, happy hour on the beach is still fun if you can find parking.

Awesome Post and Insight .... the whole post , but esp the highlighted ...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If Cabarete is filled with euro yuppies, expats and trust fund kids then it would be doing better than it is.

Cabarete is hardly filled at all. It has been rather un-filled for years now.

That is because of the lack of flights that are overpriced and have bad connections, lack of hotels, and Punta Cana having what is missing on the north coast for most tourists. So, they go elsewhere for the cheap flights and plentiful hotels.

The failure of the Lazy Dog has several reasons. Some are well beyond the normal reasons for a failure of a beach bar.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
If Cabarete is filled with euro yuppies, expats and trust fund kids then it would be doing better than it is.

That is because of the lack of flights that are overpriced and have bad connections, lack of hotels, and Punta Cana having what is missing on the north coast for most tourists. So, they go elsewhere for the cheap flights and plentiful hotels.

The failure of the Lazy Dog has several reasons. Some are well beyond the normal reasons for a failure of a beach bar.

I dont think that is what he meant ..

Cabarete , has become SNOOTY, and over priced .. in many ways .

No bar name mentioned ,, but a place where we used to go sit for happy hours , completely turned us off when a waitress deliberately made us miss the last chance for another round of drinks before happy hour ended , and YES we were going to stay for DINNER.. a Party of 6 people ..
She literally dragged her feet for 10 full minutes so we would miss it ...
... we got up and LEFT , and never ever went back there again ... They were so busy trying to use the Table for the Trust fund and Yuppie crowd, they forgot who their bread and butter was .. a TABLE full of expats and their guests , drinking, and having a nice time , Ready to order Dinner next . and who would bring a LOT more customers to them , in the long run
a cant Lose scenario
so .. Some of them deserve exactly what they are getting now.. They guessed WRONG.. and they lost .

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I certainly did misunderstand. That there are a quantity of euro yuppies, expats and trust fund kids exists cannot be denied. How could a place like Ultraviolet exist otherwise?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Whenever I have someone visiting the country, the first thing I say is PLEASE NOT PUNTA CANA!!! I have lived here long enough and know the country well enough to work for the DR Convention and Visitors Bureau however more often than not, I lose the battle and either make the sacrifice to spend a few days in Punta Cana or tell them, "maybe next time".
Pertaining to the thread, I think I had a few beers in that spot but have not been over there in some time. Customer service anywhere in the country/Caribbean is suspect at best. When/if you can find quality food with good service it is truly a place worth remembering.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

When did Euro trash become Euro Yuppies? More dispensable income?