Issue over a television

white light

Sep 25, 2006
I definitely need help. Last month I purchased a television on credit through my employee’s credit. Three days after it was installed it burnt up. Returned it to the company and they sent it to Santa Domingo where they determined it was a power surge and in the contract with the company it says it will not cover anything if it’s a power surge.

I was late making the payment the other day and they came to my apartment with the police and confiscated my employee’s scooter. I had to pay to get the scooter and make the payment on a dead TV.
I Have Been Told That They Can Come Back With The Police And Take Everything In My Apartment If I Don’t Make This Payment Again. Is This True?

I live on a pension and don’t have money for a huge lawyer bill. Any help is appreciated.
Really need help.

Thank you,
White Light

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It’s not fair in your eyes, but I’d say they expect you to pay for the tv. Not their fault there was a power surge.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I definitely need help. Last month I purchased a television on credit through my employee’s credit. Three days after it was installed it burnt up. Returned it to the company and they sent it to Santa Domingo where they determined it was a power surge and in the contract with the company it says it will not cover anything if it’s a power surge.

I was late making the payment the other day and they came to my apartment with the police and confiscated my employee’s scooter. I had to pay to get the scooter and make the payment on a dead TV.
I Have Been Told That They Can Come Back With The Police And Take Everything In My Apartment If I Don’t Make This Payment Again. Is This True?

I live on a pension and don’t have money for a huge lawyer bill. Any help is appreciated.
Really need help.

Thank you,
White Light

you will lose anyway pay for the TV!

SantiagueroRD

Bronze
Apr 20, 2011
Good Afternoon, No I am pretty sure that they cannot come with just the Police and take anything. The company would need a Judicial Order and be accompanied by a Bailiff. I cannot be sure since it is a long time since I have dealt with this kind of thing. I would call Guzman Ariza for a free consultation or maybe he will answer here.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
It’s not fair in your eyes, but I’d say they expect you to pay for the tv. Not their fault there was a power surge.

whitelight it is NOT the fault of the TV manufacturer you failed to use a surge protector and your TV blew up. No way can they be held accountable for that. Make the payments and try a different TV repair shop to see if it can be fixed. Other wise, pay the bill, buy a surge protector, shop for a replacement TV...……….

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I did have A surge proctector and voltage regulator

You didn't mention that in your original post thus the reason I made the comment I did. Well what did the repair place say when you informed them you had protection, assuming both are working correctly. Surge protectors do not last a lifetime and cheap ones are about the same as not having one at all.

white light

Sep 25, 2006
They just said that it isn’t covered or guaranteed for power surges. It didn’t seem to matter to them that I had both forms of protection. I was hoping they would repair the television or give me a new one. I only had it three days.

white light

Sep 25, 2006
I could probably get it back, but I was just so upset and only received the notice from them last week about their final conclusion.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
They just said that it isn’t covered or guaranteed for power surges. It didn’t seem to matter to them that I had both forms of protection. I was hoping they would repair the television or give me a new one. I only had it three days.

Not taking sides but just so you know. Surge protectors do fail. If you had a low end protector and it got hit quite often with spikes it becomes useless. You would really never know if it is working or not so keep in mind just because it was plugged it doesn't necessarily mean it was working.

On the other hand you have only the word of the repair shop.

A little bit of info from the internet...……….

How often do you need to replace surge protectors?
If it's really old—like you don't remember when you bought it—it's probably not protecting you and you should toss it. If you're aware of your surge protector taking a big hit, you should probably toss it too. Otherwise, a good rule of thumb is to replace them about every two years.Mar 24, 2015

Is the electrical system in your home properly grounded?

What does it mean when a surge protector is not grounded?

A: The grounded light indicates that your surge protector is connected to a properly grounded outlet. If the green light is out, it means the outlet is not properly grounded and the surge protector may not be able to properly protect your equipment, and our Connected Equipment Warranty is null and void.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Submit a claim to the electricity company, yes, plenty of Dominicans do this. Get a repair quote from the vendor, saying a surge has killed the TV.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
whitelight it is NOT the fault of the TV manufacturer you failed to use a surge protector and your TV blew up. No way can they be held accountable for that. Make the payments and try a different TV repair shop to see if it can be fixed. Other wise, pay the bill, buy a surge protector, shop for a replacement TV...……….

A contractor for Edenorte shorted wires and fried my MIL's TV and Microwave, and laptop. Edenorte said she was entitled for new stuff and to put in a claim. That was more than two years ago and they havent honoured the claim. Pay up.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I bought a monitor from Prodacomm and it failed withing the hour. I took it back and they told me that I had fried it but they replaced mine. They were not happy and told me about the city electricity. I bought a voltage regulator 2000 something to plug all my electronics into. I have surge protectors in other places. I found out that you have to be grounded so I bought a grounding tester from La Sirena. We got the building company to ground all the outlets in our apartment as the tester showed not all were. We bought a fridge protector after 2 friends fridges went up in flames. All my stuff has lasted years now. Prodacomm sold us a TV at a good price as we spent so much there. Oh - and the UPS with spare battery.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
A good house inverter should have you protected, with surge and low voltage protection. Your inverter would take over if high ot low voltage is detected, and would shut the street current until voltage is back to normal. Because the street circuit first passes through the inverter before reaching your equipment, inverter serves both spare power and voltage protection purpose. Most modern inverters have smart cards that do voltage protection well and work at UPS switchover speeds.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Good Afternoon, No I am pretty sure that they cannot come with just the Police and take anything. The company would need a Judicial Order and be accompanied by a Bailiff. I cannot be sure since it is a long time since I have dealt with this kind of thing. I would call Guzman Ariza for a free consultation or maybe he will answer here.

This is the Dominican Republic. They can do whatever they want.
If you have connections down here with the right people, this will
go away very quickly. If not, you need to prepare yourself for a fight.