What’s Not to Like??

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Arrived for my wife’s renewal tomorrow...

Long enough drive....2hrs+

Need Nacional for a few things...
WAZE does that with a minimum of left turns... and garage parking!!

Done

Aiming for the Zona but I need to recharge my cooler with ice for the night.
Beer and ice vitals.

Skinny streets, little room....

Down the window, beep the horn....
Tienes hielo?...... Si senor.

I pull over & the boy is behind the car with a bag.

In for the beers.... pay..... 25 pesos to my new friend.... I drive on

My wife is flabbergasted....way too easy.

Tomorrow, DMG
Where my car wash awaits while we cool our heels in line
And of course, the empanadas on the curb.... excellent...25 pesos

What’s not to like?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What's not to like? Traffic Monday to Friday all day. Other than that can't think of nothing else.

Heavy traffic days if i can't go underground I walk. Can't do either of these it gets postponed until the weekend.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bird
I used WAZE and it brought me from thr big Nacional to the ZC without traffic, unbelievable I know
But true

Yes, I hate the traffic and am about to enter ..... DGM waiting for the Mrs

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Bird
I used WAZE and it brought me from thr big Nacional to the ZC without traffic, unbelievable I know
But true

Yes, I hate the traffic and am about to enter ..... DGM waiting for the Mrs

yes WW, you were below 27 de febrero where traffic isn't the worse. You got lucky which does happen.

As far as that el Nacional, so far the best supermarket i have found in SD centro. Huge and has it all.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well , I spoke too soon

My cavalier attitude of leaving the car on the street overnight cost me the mirrors...oops
Just too lazy to go to the parqueo

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Well , I spoke too soon

My cavalier attitude of leaving the car on the street overnight cost me the mirrors...oops

broke or stolen? I remember way back overnight on the street in Gazcue cost me four hubcaps on a rental. The messed up part I was parked right in front of the small hotel.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well , I spoke too soon

That's why we use a cabana for overnights in Santo Domingo, one at Luperon & the Malecon. Simple, safe, inexpensive and we don't have to unpack the SUV.

We have a large duffle we call the Cabana Bag with nice sheets, pillows, a bedspread, good towels, coffee maker, charger bank (for electronics) and showerhead. Yes, showerhead, since they all seem to go missing. We move into the cabana, and in 5 minutes it's as comfy as any hotel without check-in hassles.

We negotiate an overnight deal: If we check in before 9 pm, $24. If after 9 pm, $18. The only downside is uncontrollable a/c, and it can get cold, so I block off over half of the a/c inlet.

I like driving the SUV into the garage for safekeeping overnight.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
That's why we use a cabana for overnights in Santo Domingo, one at Luperon & the Malecon. Simple, safe, inexpensive and we don't have to unpack the SUV...………...

couple that with deliveryrd.do and you can have anything from a Big Mac to a full course meal delivered to your cabana door.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
After driving to Santo Domingo about 40 times over the years, I now only take the bus. Thank you for reminding me why. I still hate going there, but when I have to at least I am not worried about my car.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
We have a large duffle we call the Cabana Bag with nice sheets, pillows, a bedspread, good towels, coffee maker, charger bank (for electronics) and showerhead.
I thought that I was the only person crazy (or smart) enough to travel with a good showerhead. Smart.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
only thing you and cobra need to add to the supplies is a toilet seat.
Our cabana does have toilet seats. Oh, and serves a Dominican breakfast if we want, an egg and mashed potatos with cheese on top.

Our Cabana Bag is like a Bug Out Bag: always packed and ready to go when we need it.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Our cabana does have toilet seats. Oh, and serves a Dominican breakfast if we want, an egg and mashed potatos with cheese on top.

Our Cabana Bag is like a Bug Out Bag: always packed and ready to go when we need it.

classy cabana wow.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isuzu M-UX.... same mirrors as the D-MAX..

Both sides gone.... protective chrome side and mirror glass... chofer & pasajero sides

Driving in SD w/o rr side view mirrors is a treat !!...Not

new ones arriving tomorrow..
I honestly thought that after b'fast...
i would meet 2 boys on the curb miraculously ready to sell me 2 replacements...
and was ready to pay !!

Nope..nada

Always go to the Parqueo..... stupid me !!

they tried a hub cap but mine are screwed on ... failed attempt

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Take the passenger sun visor off and duct tape it with the vanity mirror showing onto the outside mount on the driver's side. Problem solved, although you may have to hold on to it if driving over 45 kph on the autopista.

:classic: mob

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The Mirrors

@WW, did this take place in la zona?

My favorite, too. But arrange parking. We had parts stolen off our car when we stayed there. Asked around, and there is a lot nearby where you can pay a local to watch your vehicle at night.

Lindsey

above quote from that cobraboy thread where he was looking for a hotel in la zona, you should remember cuz you participated in that thread.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
BBird
Yes... Zona... in a nice well lit spot in front of my hotel....
albeit the only car all night - most likely

April was problem free.... less street activity this time of year