best hotel- Lomar, parafino or french quarter or others in costabar

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
best hotel- Lomar, parafino or latin quarter or others in costambar

hi - i have read many posts about small non-inclusive hotels in pop but now i have to make a decision.
How would you rate the following in order for cleanliness, friendless, room sizes etc?
also how far is costambar from downtown pop (malecon)? does anyone recommend any hotels in costambar. Has anyone any info on the Sandtrap Inn in Costambar? How much would a guagua be, moto or taxi from this area into pop.
thanks so much-
looking forward to replies
Matty

Last edited:

BigMama

Apr 1, 2002
Costambar is about 10 minutes from the Malecon. Costambar does not have many hotels as it is mostly residential. The Sand Trap is new and is a property which has been newly renovated.
I have a condominium in Costambar which I rent when not in use. It is a very large one bedroom, one block from the beach, swimming pool, mountain view, maid service, cable TV etc. If interesred let me know.
Mary

LUDUS

May 7, 2002
Sandtrap

I stayed at the sandtrap for 10 days in early March and was very pleased. If Chris Lane is still managing I'd recommend it highly. It is a new business and I don't kno if it will change so correspond with the management.

It's surprising what you get for the price. Rooms are large. very clean, lots of marble, air, cable tv, back-up plant, etc. Great pool, full american breakfast included.

The hotel is right across from the ocean but theat part of the beach is not well maintained. A 5 minute walk east takes you to th main beach which has bars and restaurants but is still very quiet .

Costambar is sleepy and pleasant. Gated. Very safe. Taxi is 100 pesos to Puerto plata . It's not like playa dorada. It's much less prosperous, less crowded, cheaper, more an out of the way discovery. There are LOTS of places : condos, apartments, houses to rent if you want to stay longer and it's easy to just stroll around and find what you like.

Another plus is lots of quiet little euro restarants set up by expats trying to make some money. German, Italian, in particular.

ms.mathilda

May 5, 2002
thanks so much for your help. decisions, decisions on where to stay........

any other recommendations?