cédula without residencia?

todoloco

Jul 25, 2018
16 years ago, i had a dominican cedula, with is expired since.
And the JCE and the police still got it in their register.
(Not the DGM, though. They said I never had a residencia - I can`t remember. I just know that I was legally here for more than 2 years)

Today I was asking at JCE office how can I get a new cedula, explaining all above mentioned facts.
They called for me at Extranjería Santo Domingo and were told following:

1) I have to go to Extranjería Santo Domingo
1) I have to pay 3,000 DOP
3) They take a foto of me there
4) I get my cédula

So, here now my questions:

1) Can this be true? Can I really get renewed my cédula without having a residencia?
2) In case it`s true: Could I leave this country just with my cédula - legally, without any problems and payments?

Advice is highly appreciated!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Your residencia was most likely faked, which is why DGM has no record but JCE does.

I would be shocked if JCE issues a cedula without citizenship or residency.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Every year when I renew my temporary residency, I first get a new residency card at DGM. When I go to JCE to get a new cedula, they have always asked to see my residency card.

When you leave the country, they will not accept your cedula if you wish to avoid paying the overstay fee - they want to see your residency card. Luckily I had both with me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know of NO legal way you can get a new and valid cedula without having some type of legal residence in the DR. In your case, It may very well be that your residency was either fake or missing information.

Your residency card is used to verify you are paid and up to date, or you will pay the exit "fee" appropriate for how long you overstayed 30 days. Getting a potentially fake cedula will not help you.

From what you posted, you would have to start the residency process again. A way might exist for you to do this all while staying in the DR, but beware that residency card might be fake. It is likely you will have to return home and start the residency process by getting the special residency visa in your passport at the closest Dominican Embassy to your home country and then immediately start the residency process. Be aware you will likely have to meet the requirements financially to be granted residency, among other things like Apostilled and Translated birth certificates and more.

After speaking with a number of immigration lawyers about a missing document in my original paperwork back in 2003, I have become aware of the Mafia that exists in DR Migracion where residency cards are issued and the JCE where cedulas are issues.

todoloco

Jul 25, 2018
Thank you all for your input.

Although I`m 100% sure, that my cédula is NOT fake - I did all the process on my own back then at DGM Santo Domingo.

Different times (and laws) though.

Two weeks ago i got my "papel de buena conducta" with my expired cédula number on it and with my foto from year 2001 on it!

I know I started the residency process back then all correctly.

So there are two possible reasons why the DGM can`t find me in their computer:

a) I never picked up the residency at DGM office (I really can`t remember)
b) they just lost it

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I recall that there was a "data loss" for some people several years ago. I have my own thread on a problem related to missing documents of mine from around 2002/2003. I have a special type of regularization I am in process of doing to recover from their error or fraud. They don't admit any wrong doing, so I have to fix a problem I did not cause.

If you made it to the point of a "permanent residency" card back then and the papers are still available to prove that, you might be able to get back in the system more easily than if you just had a "temporary residency" and never went forward from that. Those are the questions I would ask directly to Migracion closest to you.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Thank you all for your input.

Although I`m 100% sure, that my cédula is NOT fake - I did all the process on my own back then at DGM Santo Domingo.

Different times (and laws) though.

Two weeks ago i got my "papel de buena conducta" with my expired cédula number on it and with my foto from year 2001 on it!

I know I started the residency process back then all correctly.

So there are two possible reasons why the DGM can`t find me in their computer:

a) I never picked up the residency at DGM office (I really can`t remember)
b) they just lost it

things are different today than when you got your cedula. in those days, you could get a cedula without residency.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Back then too your cedula and residency didn't expire at the same time so even if your residency renewal was late, your cedula could still be good for a good while.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk