No water?

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
The other day Corasaan came round and cut the pipes of all the non-payers. Today we had no water. They had cut us off even though we pay every month. There is a gringo on the ground floor who hasn't been here for months so they thought that they had cut him off but the numbering is in reverse order of course. Luckily our security guy had some spares and got us fixed by the evening. What is the point in paying on time when you get cut off anyway? Crazy.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I was told that the DR had a law that water could not be cut off. If what I was told is correct (which I don't know either way) then is your water being cut off legal.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Like our old lady neighbour in la Vega always shouted when they cut her water .."el agua es de dios!!".

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I was told that the DR had a law that water could not be cut off. If what I was told is correct (which I don't know either way) then is your water being cut off legal.

you were told wrong.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
They never cut my pipe but last month they turned off the valve three days in a row because apparently I didn't pay on time. On the third day they finally left a bill and I payed in minutes. Idk how they have time to come turn off water valves all day, but we only get the paper bill 2/3 of the time...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
believe that at your own risk. COORAPLATA has trucks that are labelled cutting and reconnection. they travel around the city and cut off water, and reconnect when the bill is paid. the article can say anything, but i see them at work all the time. maybe it is illegal ''de jure'', but the de facto thing is they cut you off. i know for a fact

Plata o Plumo

Some places have to pay a small monthly fee (like 110 pesos) even though they get their water from their own wells - because water is a "resource" that belongs to Cooraplata. Figure that one out.

In my area of about 25 homes & a couple small condos there are a half dozen significant main leaks. The main is buried only about 10" - 12" - If they fixed the leaks just in my one area it would save them hundreds of thousands of gallons per month - and you see the leaks in every neighborhood.

I build a small French drain adjacent to the water main just to keep the water from ponding in front of the driveway.

These same leaks could draw in bacteria if pressure is lost but they also destroy the roads bit by bit...........

habi

Oct 17, 2015
believe that at your own risk. COORAPLATA has trucks that are labelled cutting and reconnection. they travel around the city and cut off water, and reconnect when the bill is paid. the article can say anything, but i see them at work all the time. maybe it is illegal ''de jure'', but the de facto thing is they cut you off. i know for a fact

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they are not doing it, I only did remember there was a a ruling from the Tribunal Constitucional regarding that issue...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying they are not doing it, I only did remember there was a a ruling from the Tribunal Constitucional regarding that issue...

i am sure that you are speaking from correct information, as far as the law goes. i just know that they are equipped to cut people off, and they do. that is why there are so many water delivery trucks all over the place.COORAPLATA cuts you off, you get a truck of water..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
i am sure that you are speaking from correct information, as far as the law goes. i just know that they are equipped to cut people off, and they do. that is why there are so many water delivery trucks all over the place.COORAPLATA cuts you off, you get a truck of water..

If you have a cistern, a water truck is a quick temp fix but it's a little harder if you just have a tinaco on the 2nd story.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Absolutely true. I also know this for a fact. If you don't pay you are cut off.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
If you have a cistern, a water truck is a quick temp fix but it's a little harder if you just have a tinaco on the 2nd story.

Based on what I've seen, this hasn't stopped the water trucks to deliver water (I believe there are cases where it does stop them, but just saying...). We once lived in a second story and shared the cisterna but had our own tinaco. I asked my wife, how on earth they can get up there with the hose. My wife just said that I don't know, but don't worry, they'll figure out. So they did... Nicely took the smaller hose up there and filled just our tinaco, so we did not end up paying for water for the neighbors from downstairs as well...

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

I believe the ruling is the administration of the property can not cut the water to the units under any circumstance. However, the company providing the water could still cut the service for non-payment.

Feb 7, 2007
That's my understanding as well. Now you guys that pay for the water (PP, ST, SD) how much do you pay? Do you pay a flat fee or is it usage-based (like in Europe)? How much does the bill come out every month on average (no pool usage). We get water here in Higuey but it's "free" (so far...)... the water is AFAIK non-potable though, only general usage (bathing, washing, cleaning, etc.). Everyone still buys the 5 gallon jugs of potable water at a filling factory, supermarket and colmados.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
That's my understanding as well. Now you guys that pay for the water (PP, ST, SD) how much do you pay? Do you pay a flat fee or is it usage-based (like in Europe)? How much does the bill come out every month on average (no pool usage). We get water here in Higuey but it's "free" (so far...)... the water is AFAIK non-potable though, only general usage (bathing, washing, cleaning, etc.). Everyone still buys the 5 gallon jugs of potable water at a filling factory, supermarket and colmados.

Were I am in Santiago, you pay the same no matter how much you use, fill your pool every day or not.... same bill...mine includes the garbage collection as well......