Using Dominican citizenship to obtain Spanish citizenship

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
For anyone looking to obtain citizenship of an EU country (in order to work at the EU for example), Spain is an interesting option.
Natural born citizens of former Spanish colonies are eligible to apply for Spanish citizenship after only two years of residency in Spain.
I met a Spanish government employee recently and mentioned this situation to him and that I have Dominican citizenship. He encouraged me to obtain Spanish citizenship.
He said the laws in Spain are rarely enforced as written. He doubts the enforcement of the "natural born" requirement and said it would be possible to continuing living elsewhere during the two-year residency period.
Does anyone have experience with this?

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Silly question. If true, i wonder if it would work for a dominican born who also already has US citizenship. Can you have three?
For anyone looking to obtain citizenship of an EU country (in order to work at the EU for example), Spain is an interesting option.
Natural born citizens of former Spanish colonies are eligible to apply for Spanish citizenship after only two years of residency in Spain.
I met a Spanish government employee recently and mentioned this situation to him and that I have Dominican citizenship. He encouraged me to obtain Spanish citizenship.
He said the laws in Spain are rarely enforced as written. He doubts the enforcement of the "natural born" requirement and said it would be possible to continuing living elsewhere during the two-year residency period.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Silly question. If true, i wonder if it would work for a dominican born who also already has US citizenship. Can you have three?

Not need for Spanish since American is more powerful citizenship.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Not need for Spanish since American is more powerful citizenship.
What if the US / Dominican citizen wanted to work in Spain?

Dont ask why as i already have.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
A US citizen cannot spend more than 3 months in Spain in any one year period.

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
A US citizen cannot spend more than 3 months in Spain in any one year period.
Wow. Never heard that. I wonder why. Can a US citizen stay longer if they get a work visa? Are they hard to get?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Wow. Never heard that. I wonder why. Can a US citizen stay longer if they get a work visa? Are they hard to get?

I assume if you get a work Visa it is different. I am talking about visiting as a tourist.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

https://www.libertaddigital.com/esp...-obtener-la-nacionalidad-espanola-1276591547/

He is right, two years of residency. Now how obtain your residency, that is one point. The second is it is only for born citizens of ex-colonies.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, but your response doesn't really address the core issue here, which is whether the natural born Dominican citizen requirement is actually enforced.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
6,606 cases of Dominicans obtaining Spanish citizenship.

There is no mention of whether the restriction of the reduced residency requirement offered to "natural born" citizens of former colonies is actually enforced.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Hmm... Where have I seen the bold and underlined before? Thinking, thinking... Doesn't La Española translate to the Spanish Island or Little Spain? Hmm... :cheeky:

I already knew of the privileges Spanish Americans have in Spain.

All foreigners are required I think 10 consecutive years of residence in Spain, plus demonstrate that they are fully integrated into Spanish culture, before they can even apply for Spanish citizenship. Spanish Americans? Just 2 years.

The Spanish government also give priority to Dominican visa applicants, which explains why the Dominican presence in Spain has grown so much in a relatively short period of time.

Last edited:

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Here are the 15 most powerful tiers of passports, based on the number of countries their holders can visit visa-free, according to Henley:

Germany 177.
Singapore 176.
Denmark, Finland, France, Italy, Japan, Norway, Sweden, UK 175.
Austria, Belgium, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Spain, Switzerland 174.

Citizens of the US can enter 172 countries without a visa.

RoodyRoots

Aug 14, 2018
you didnt know you cant stay in europe without a visa ? its not part of America so you would need to follow the rules ;-)