PriceSmart: Need General Information

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

I have just learned about PriceSmart from another thread. I searched it here but couldn't find references.
I know that it has a website: shop.pricesmart.com and that there are two locations in Sto. Dom.

I also know that it requires an annual membership, around USD 35.00. However, when I go to the website and look at Membersip FAQ's, the most important question that anyone would ask, namely, How do I become a member? The question is not there!! Duh! It kills me when the thing that should be most obvious is absent.

For example, I have no idea if I can walk into a store and pay for membership inside. Just like Costco in the U.S., they won't let you in without your membership card: catch 22!

And if I apply online there is a field only for Cedula, no passport. . .

Any advice from those in the know how I get a membership? And is this place a worthwhile venue for shopping?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Just go in and advise the greeter at the door you want to join.

They will direct you to the customer service desk.

As in all places here, some things sold are bargains, other are not.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Like the berry yogart drink at the food court.
Just go in and advise the greeter at the door you want to join.

They will direct you to the customer service desk.

As in all places here, some things sold are bargains, other are not.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As mentioned it is very easy to join inside.

As mentioned not all items are a better deal. So do some comparison shopping while there.

There are some items that are not available elsewhere on the island.

One of those items used to be the unique hot dogs sold only at Costco. Have not seen those in a while.
The people that started Price Smart had a history at Costco, so you will see a number of Members Only products still for sale there.

Jan 17, 2009
“ Just like Costco in the U.S., they won't let you in without your membership card: catch 22!”

Unless you’re going to the membership desk!! Same here.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
“ Just like Costco in the U.S., they won't let you in without your membership card: catch 22!”

Unless you’re going to the membership desk!! Same here.

Side Note:

Sam's Club is somewhat the same, but, no membership card needed to go to the Optical department.

Then you can look around, just can not purchase (Except Optical and perhaps the food court).

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is also one in Santiago. Lately they have had the 3.5 lb bags of Bob's Red Mill old fashion rolled oats for sale, which you cant get anywherre else.
Their almond milk is cheaper than anywhere else, but boxed juices are more expensive, so yes you need to know what the prices are locally.