Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 52

Thread: Chinese in the DR

  1. #1
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    26,586
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Chinese in the DR

    What Do Chinese Investments Mean for the Dominican Republic?

    History of Relations Between China and Dominican Republic

    As you have probably heard, China and the Dominican Republic signed the diplomatic relations on May 1, 2018. The Caribbean nation cut the diplomatic ties with Taiwan, a known rival of China, that has been enjoying the support and protection of the USA for several decades now. Thus, the Dominican government gave the official status to the longtime trade and cultural relations with the Asian giant.

    If we look at the trade volume between the two countries, it has been steadily growing since 2010. The main products that the Dominican Republic imports from China are motorcycles, vehicles, electronic devices, footwear, textiles, machinery, and equipment. While the main products that the Dominican Republic exports to China are minerals, waste paper and cardboard, and animal skin. So signing the diplomatic relations was a logical step formalizing the commercial processes that have been enriching the country’s economy.

    China and DR trade

    Moreover, the Dominican Republic has held 7 editions of Dominican Republic-People’s Republic of China Trade Exposition, during which Chinese companies signed contracts in automobile, electronic, construction, medical, and consumer goods. 6 Chinese companies participated in the government’s tendering for the construction of 2 carbon plants Punta Catalina. And one of them, Gezhouba Group, even got to the finals.

    Furthermore, the Chinese community in the Dominican Republic forms one of the largest Chinese communities in Latin America. Although no official census has been made, there are estimates of approximately 50,000 people of Chinese origin living in the country. Besides, Santo Domingo’s Chinatown is one of the city’s main tourist attractions. It includes around 500-700 Chinese restaurants and other small stores.

    Future Of the Relations Between China and Dominican Republic

    Chinese companies have big plans for the Dominican Republic. The expanded investment and loan-funded projects are likely to principally occur in mining, construction, electricity (wind and solar generation), manufacturing (assembly of Chinese goods for export to the US) and retail.

    Some of them include a waste incineration plant and a gas plant at a cost of US$270 million; a multifunctional water resource and hydraulic project in river of Yuna of US$350 million, and a project of 10,000 low-cost houses for US$200 million, which is in total US$820 million of investment. This new chapter could bring much-needed economic opportunities to the country, where one out of three Dominicans is still fighting poverty and where youth unemployment is about double the overall jobless rate.

    Additionally, the Engineering Construction Corporation (CCECC) announced its interest in the Puerto Plata and Samana ports where they would invest US$2 billion dollars to develop a free trade zone and a commercial terminal for trading goods directly with China. Then the good can be exported to the US market taking advantage of the Central American Free Trade accord.

    But most importantly, the Dominican Tourism Department aspires to attract 7% of 31 million Chinese travelling to the North America or around 3 million per year. The Dominican Republic is updating its tourism industry and contacting partners, investors and Chinese tour operators to get ready for receiving mass Chinese visitors. As part of this program, visa and other restrictions will be eliminated to attract more tourists and investors to the country.

    To conclude, the diplomatic decision to forge a new official partnership with China promises several billions of investment. It is expected to bring more tourists to the Dominican beautiful beaches, improve the infrastructure, increase the export volume and further develop mining, construction and energy.

    What do you personally think about the Chinese-Dominican relations? Do you follow the Dominican news and politics in general? Please let us know whether you would like to receive more similar updates about the Dominican Republic and its politics.

    http://dreamcityresort.com/chinese-i...ican-republic/

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    22
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    500-700 Restaurants?!?! I walked the SD Chinatown - its only about 3 x 3 blocks Probably 5 to 7 restaurants

  3. Likes pelaut liked this post
  4. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,481
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They have some at the north-coast as well, even in Nagua...well call them restaurants is a very positive point of view,

  5. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    1,569
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nekokatt View Post
    500-700 Restaurants?!?! I walked the SD Chinatown - its only about 3 x 3 blocks Probably 5 to 7 restaurants
    They are counting also the Pica Pollos, maybe are more than 1,000, By the way Culture Ministery announced there was agreement to start the 2nd fase of the restauration of the Colonial Zone, Plaza de la Cultura Juan Pablo Duarte and Columbus lighthouse, and mentioned as they are planning to catch part of the chinees turist and would be impossible to do it just showing beaches without Culture.

    http://infoturdominicano.com/rd/?p=43179

  6. #5
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nekokatt View Post
    500-700 Restaurants?!?! I walked the SD Chinatown - its only about 3 x 3 blocks Probably 5 to 7 restaurants
    100% Agreed. After reading this statement I just laughed to myself
    and didn't bother reading the rest of the article as one can only assume
    the rest of it is BS as well.

    What does it mean now that the DR politians are jumping into bed
    with the Chinese? Get ready to start seeing massive land consessions,
    more casinos, over development of shopping malls, hotels and new
    construction in and around the barrios in the national district. Explotation
    of what little natural resources this country has left to offer and a ton of bribes
    paid to the crooks who are running this country. The Chinese will make
    those Odebrecht bribes look like a drop in the bucket. Besides.. where in
    the hell did yall think Danilo was going to get money to fund his next
    presidential campaign now that most of the folks who helped finance his
    last one are sitting in prison?

  7. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    31,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    100% Agreed. After reading this statement I just laughed to myself
    and didn't bother reading the rest of the article as one can only assume
    the rest of it is BS as well.

    What does it mean now that the DR politians are jumping into bed
    with the Chinese? Get ready to start seeing massive land consessions,
    more casinos, over development of shopping malls, hotels and new
    construction in and around the barrios in the national district. Explotation
    of what little natural resources this country has left to offer and a ton of bribes
    paid to the crooks who are running this country. The Chinese will make
    those Odebrecht bribes look like a drop in the bucket. Besides.. where in
    the hell did yall think Danilo was going to get money to fund his next
    presidential campaign now that most of the folks who helped finance his
    last one are sitting in prison?
    Danilo can't run for president any more.

  8. #7
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,942
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    Danilo can't run for president any more.
    Yes, I know. He couldn't run back in 2012 either.

  9. Likes pelaut, cbmitch9, kg4jxt, ohmmmm, USA DOC and 1 others liked this post
  10. #8
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    31,186
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CristoRey View Post
    Yes, I know. He couldn't run back in 2012 either.
    very true. i think he is done this time...i think there will be a revolt if he tries to.

  11. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    very true. i think he is done this time...i think there will be a revolt if he tries to.
    A revolt which would be easily tamed by providing a gallon of gas to Motoconchos, a box with 5 pounds of rice, beans and sardines to the maids, and a week free ride tickets in the teleferico and metro to the Tigres.

    On August, Danilo is back on the seat.

    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

  12. Likes cbmitch9 liked this post
  13. #10
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    4,897
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    ]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    A revolt which would be easily tamed by providing a gallon of gas to Motoconchos, a box with 5 pounds of rice, beans and sardines to the maids, and a week free ride tickets in the teleferico and metro to the Tigres.

    On August, Danilo is back on the seat


    Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •