Lectura en español este verano

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Anyone reading an interesting book in Spanish this summer?

I have not been reading as much as I normally do. I managed to finish a book in June, El rostro de tu padre by Patricia Lara. It was a first time read by that author. It was quite good and intriguing enough. I would read more by the author given the opportunity.

I am in Miami this week and visited one bookstore so far. I saw a book and wondered if anyone has read or knows about the author, Pedro Cabiya. He is Puerto Rican residing in DR. Under the heading of Caribbean literature the book I was looking at is titled Reinbou. Instead of buying it right away I decided I would do some research first. The reviews on the web are quite good.

74C368A7-DAD3-43B5-B59E-030AEE416AF1.jpeg

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/34563770-reinbou

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I looked in a couple of other bookstores and none had Reinbou so today I will go back to bookstore where I saw it to purchase it.

Spanish Caribbean literature written in Spanish (original) is not always easy to find outside of the Caribbean. Therefore, I will take advantage of the opportunity while I can.

Yesterday I bought two books. One is Cinco esquinas by Mario Vargas Llosa and El mordisco de la guayaba by María Eugenia Mayobre. This author is Venezuelan and has resided in various Spanish-speaking countries. Her writing looks good so are the reviews.

149tt1l.jpg

The Vargas Llosa purchase was motivated by a book I read last year. That was my first time ever reading a book from this author and I thought it was quite good. I read one of his more recent novels El héroe discreto.

Although some people may think it is always the same authors in the top ten like Vargas Llosa, Isabel Allende, Octavio Paz, Julio Cortázar etc. there is a reason why. The fact is their literature is good. I was surprised that the Vargas Llosa book I read intrigued me from the get go because he has the reputation for being very elite and always writing about the Peruvian upper class. Cinco esquinas is his more recent novel. The synopsis seems intriguing. I am looking forward to reading it.

I am two books behind when it comes to reading Isabel Allende's recent novels. Más allá del invierno is doing quite well. It was released last year and is among the top ten most read Spanish novels today. I will get to it now that I am trying to get back on track with my reading.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I started reading this week and it is a great feeling. There is just something uplifting about summer reading. On my way home from Miami I found a good book at one of the airport bookstores to throw in with the others I bought on my trip. I am not that picky in the sense that I don’t have to know of an author(s) in order to sample their literature for the first time. However, there are certain factors that can make the possibility of reading a book more attractive.

0AEAF843-5661-4E12-9350-851F68B34EC0.jpeg

The book I started this week is Piel de lobo by Lara Moreno. She is Spanish from Sevilla. The book synopsis is what attracted me as well, I like to diversify and make sure I read books from authors from Spain 🇪🇸. The linguistic flavour is certainly different so is the grammatical style. So far so good. I will be reading this weekend.

Que viva la buena lectura.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
How many of you know the vosotros verb form conjugations in all tenses and moods?

This is one aspect that I always need to get used to when reading a book written by an author from Spain. Since vosotros forms are not used in Latin America one way to get exposure to usage is by reading since it is a part of the language.

I am enjoying the book but this is one aspect of grammar that really stands out. Vosotros estáis, hablad as opposed to ustedes son and hablen.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
If you are a fan of Paulo Coelho his latest book Hippie is now available in Spanish.

Coelho, a renowned author globally whose novels have been translated in many languages presents his most personal novel about his life in the 1970’s.

I have read a few of his books all in Spanish and in my experience it is hit or miss. The book is either really good (y no puedes dejar de leerlo) or you struggle to finish it.

My favourites by Coelho thus far are:

Veronika decide morir and Once minutos.

A la orilla del mar me senté y lloré is also a very nice read.

Article sobre Hippie his new release:

https://www.diariolasamericas.com/c...fico-paulo-coelho-se-publica-espanol-n4161295

-MP.