Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two part epoxy.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Two part epoxy.

Greetings! I am looking for a high quality two part epoxy that will be used to cover ceramic tile. I know there is epoxy available out there, however I need something that is CLEAR and specifically used for “counter tops”. I happen to be traveling through POP, and Sosua tomorrow and I understand I may have better luck in Santiago, but thought I would ask folks here on the North Coast first. Thanks!!!!

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Playero has blister packs of clear epoxy most days. Back of the hardware section hanging on the wall.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Playero has blister packs of clear epoxy most days. Back of the hardware section hanging on the wall.
    A few hundred of those might do.

Never heard of anyone selling it in bulk here for a counter top.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about a project a year ago and ran across it in some ferreterias (hardware stores) but I do not remember where. You have to ask them for it. I never ended up doing the project. They had epoxy in a few different colors, but I do not remember seeing clear. Also, I do not remember seeing anyone with a lot of it... It is a guess, but you might have to go all the way to Ochoa in Santiago to get a lot (bulk amount) of it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone turned me on to a place in Sosua that builds Concrete Counter tops and has the epoxy i'm looking for. I'll report back if anyone is interested. On a side note, a couple years ago I made a 800 lbs curved counter top for our "By the sea bar"! It has about 500 feet of fiber optic cable that I put in before the pour. I built it upside down and drilled small holes in the bottom (actually the top) and fed all the fiber through individual holes to match various constellations. It turned out pretty cool for night viewing on the bar top. All I could find was regular concrete for the pour and really needed "concrete counter top material" for the pour which I could not find here and was to expensive to ship in. After a couple months of curing, we tuned it over and removed the form. The fibers were long enough that I could cover the entire bar top with white cement colored black. So the top is black. Not perfect, but still looks great. If this epoxy works out for the Ceramic project, I am going to get more and cover the bar top. Anyway......staying out of trouble in the DR during retirement!!! Aaaarrrggghhh!!!! Thanks!!

6. Likes ctrob, windeguy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a new stuff being sold in the ferreterias called Pega Tanque. It comes in black and white. This stuff is amazing. It sets rock solid. Mix it up half and half, apply it to whatever needs to be glued and leave it out in the sun for half an hour. By far the best epoxy I have used.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    There is a new stuff being sold in the ferreterias called Pega Tanque. It comes in black and white. This stuff is amazing. It sets rock solid. Mix it up half and half, apply it to whatever needs to be glued and leave it out in the sun for half an hour. By far the best epoxy I have used.
    I used Pega Tanque to repair a surface that was damaged when a candle exploded and pock marked the surface. Also used it to plug holes in a plastic housing for a washing machine water pump. Worked well. I have not seen large bottles for sale here, but worth checking it out.

No fui yo!
    Post Thanks / Like

Clear Epoxy may yellow over time.
    Home Depot stateside sells an array of these products by the gallon and can be shipped in - but I suspect similar is already here

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring...s/N-5yc1vZcdtp

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by botemon View Post
    Greetings! I am looking for a high quality two part epoxy that will be used to cover ceramic tile. I know there is epoxy available out there, however I need something that is CLEAR and specifically used for “counter tops”. I happen to be traveling through POP, and Sosua tomorrow and I understand I may have better luck in Santiago, but thought I would ask folks here on the North Coast first. Thanks!!!!
    Why do you need this?

I am looking for a similar solution. We have a section of tiled flat roof that somehow allows water to penetrate into a wall in a staircase with the attendant paint peeling and ugliness issues, and I do not want to do a major rebuild of ripping out the tiles and proper retiling with a waterporoof base.

The tiles are never seen and I have no idea why the builder bothered to put them there in the first place.

I have considered two-three coats of white waterproof roof paint to solve the problem, but a clear waterproof/weatherproof sealer would be preferred.

I did find a company in Eastern Europe that makes what seems to be the exact product I want, but emails have gone unanswered.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

PegaTanque is not the correct product for the OP because it is not clear.

But a supply of what is needed seems to have been found if I read above correctly about finding it at a place that does such work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast