Resident Visa Process

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
I have applied for Resident Visa at Dominican Embassy over a month ago. I contact the embassy every few days and they tell me that they are waiting on response from Foreign Ministry in Santo Domingo. Is this normal wait period? please let me know if you had a similar experience.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I have applied for Resident Visa at Dominican Embassy over a month ago. I contact the embassy every few days and they tell me that they are waiting on response from Foreign Ministry in Santo Domingo. Is this normal wait period? please let me know if you had a similar experience.

I dealt with this last year, and the embassy was getting feedback from the ministry in Santo Domingo within 1-2 days max. Some stuff they were even able to confirm me within a few hours.

I have no idea if something has changed since of course, so I'd contact the embassy and ask what's going on...

EDIT: Sorry, you wrote indeed that you're in contact with them frequently... I'd perhaps try to be more firm, or if anyone else knows if things have changed...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Which country are you in? When I started the Residency process at the Dominican Embassy in the UK four years ago it didn't take that long, but things change all the time and each year seems to add more bureaucracy.

Last edited:

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Likewise is Canada, I got a list of what documents I needed, ordered what I didn't have and when the package was complete I sent them all to my lawyer in the DR to be checked and translated. The lawyer sent them to the DR Embassy in Ottawa, I went in and paid the fees and within two weeks the residency visa was approved.

I waited about a month before submitting the passports for the visa stamp so as to maximize the available validity period. I don't know if any "back & forth" went on between the lawyer and the embassy during the processing period but I wouldn't be surprised if the lawyer kept the visa clerk moving in the right direction with all due haste. Give a Dominican functionary a desk drawer and lots of processes can come to a grinding halt - out of sight, out of mind...