Need update on overstayers coming back to DR

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
Has anyone got problem to come back in DR after a period of overstay? Any issue at airport desk? Need update please. Thanks very much

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Two Canadian friends of mine who live here most of the time yet are not legally resident (I'm not saying whether they are right or wrong to do that) recently went back to Canada (separately). They both paid the normal "fine" on leaving and both returned to the DR a few weeks a few weeks later without any problem.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Has anyone got problem to come back in DR after a period of overstay? Any issue at airport desk? Need update please. Thanks very much

Not lately.
I did hear a story a few months ago about some snow people who met a guy in bar
who had drinks with a lady who overheard some women talking about some folks being
denied entry while she was getting her hair and nails done at the local salon.

Rumor has it, it was a elderly couple who were flying into Las Terrenas to meet with
LTSteve about how they were supposed to start their residency process back in their
home country prior to coming down here for a 3 month vacation.

Again, this is just what I heard but please do remember...
A rumor will make it halfway across the country
before the truth can make it halfway off the front porch.

Some people are trying to scare off tourists or snowbirds. Come as always and pay the exit fee when you leave. People are mentioning some Americans got sent back. I am sure it was for another reason than just staying over the 30 days a few times.

Out of my hundreds of friends who come and go not one person has had a problem.
Some immigration lawyers like to freak people out about this as well.
They are not looking to turn away North Americans, Europeans etc...yet.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Just came back to POP yesterday. Nobody was checking any list. They were taking finger prints and and thumb prints. Nobody bothered checking my luggage.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just came back to POP yesterday. Nobody was checking any list. They were taking finger prints and and thumb prints. Nobody bothered checking my luggage.

If they are taking finger and thumb prints, why would they need to check a list?

I agree that nothing has been changed to date from what I have heard.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
If they are taking finger and thumb prints, why would they need to check a list?

I agree that nothing has been changed to date from what I have heard.

No reason that I know of. I just mentioned it because previous posters have mentioned them checking a list.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I know three separate individuals who paid on exit for overstay and had no trouble returning.This is this month.

ejl293

May 29, 2012
Just returned a week ago--no problem. Also I paid 4,000p when I left for just short of 4 months.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I picked up my friend and his family from STI yesterday. Him, the wife and 3 kids have numerous overstays. Paid the late charge when leaving last time, entered this time no problems (except United lost their luggage).

I think we can conclude that the fear mongering about people being turned away for solely overstay was erroneous. That day may come at some time in the future but it is not now!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Just returned a week ago--no problem. Also I paid 4,000p when I left for just short of 4 months.

I do not have residency yet. I used to travel so much that I was never here for more than a week or two. Literally have overstayed maybe three times in ten years.

Two weeks ago I travelled and it had been more than 30 days so I paid 2500 pesos on exit. I returned a week later and entered without a problem. Immigration asked if I was resident and I said not yet but wife is dominican. Waved me through.

I leave again sunday and will be back in a week. I am not all that worried.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It seems me that someone probably in the goverrnment wants to discourage snowbirds.

Not at all. They just can't walk and chew gum at the same time in regards to dealing with Snowbirds and the Haitian illegals. It has been posted what people can potentially do to extend their legal stays, but it is too difficult for most people and it will be ignored.

For now, despite any notices and instructions that may have been given, people are not having issues just paying overstay fines upon departure and re-entering. Only if and when the over stay fines are removed should people be concerned.

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
For people in the Untied States,you can get a visa,160.00 Usd,also 7.95 fotos from Cvs store,mail it in ,good for 90 days at a clip,good for two years,my friend just got his,he will be staying with me for three months.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
For people in the Untied States,you can get a visa,160.00 Usd,also 7.95 fotos from Cvs store,mail it in ,good for 90 days at a clip,good for two years,my friend just got his,he will be staying with me for three months.

Or, you can download IDPhotoPrint from the Apple Store, put it on your iPhone, and print out all the passport fotos you want for free!