Police/FBI Report

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Where I can obtain a report for my wife for the immgration requirements and how much are they and where to get one?

Thanks

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
You can do it direct from the FBI website iirc, but an expediter might be more feasible. I used one (of many out there) a few years back. Can't remember the name at the moment. Google is our friend.

The real issue might be getting fingerprints if you are already in country. If not, it'll be a breeze and take no more than a week.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
People have reported that they have taken their own fingerprints and submitted them to successfully get FBI reports. Your luck may vary on that, but yes, the fingerprints are likely to be the key issue if you are in the DR and don't want to head to the US.

I have the issue to get an Apostilled birth certificate out of NY State. Not wanting to pay hundreds of dollars to a service that does this, I found a way which will hopefully have the correct document to me for about $20 US all in within a couple of weeks. It was not obvious how I could do this remotely and only because I have a friend in the area where the birth certificate was authenticated could I get it done my way.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Submitting fingerprints is not a problem. Getting someone certified by the FBI to take your fingerprints is the challenge.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I agree, unless you are ideally situated here in the DR getting a set of fingerprints taken by someone in authority is a challenge. With respect to the flight time in the air, it's faster for me to fly home than ride the bus to SD. The best way is probably to submit manual prints to a forwarder who then sends them to the FBI if such a process exists for Americans outside the country.

For me, walking into the office in Canada was painless and really quick. Doing it manually and sending the prints to another country and back again, too time consuming and expensive to warrant the effort. The plane ticket cost more, but I had my document in 4 days and I got to eat lots of good junk food while I waited.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Others have asked if there is an FBI qualified location to get finger prints taken in the DR. The answer was no.

Others have reported that they have taken their own finger prints, submitted them, and received the FBI report.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...I got my finger prints from my local police dept. they took about 10 minutes and for free.....then you mail the prints and completed form to the FBI, then you wait a few months and they send you the report the DR wants.........

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Be sure to request a 'hard copy' of the FBI report. The 'intermediaries' offer a quick response via email, but the office in SD rejected the printout, demanding an 'original' or the 'blue' copy. By the time that was discovered it was too late to request the 'original' so we had to reapply (and pay) again.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
...I got my finger prints from my local police dept. they took about 10 minutes and for free.....then you mail the prints and completed form to the FBI, then you wait a few months and they send you the report the DR wants.........

From your local police department in the DR?

Sep 4, 2012
From your local police department in the DR?

Step 2: Obtain a Set of Your Fingerprints

Your fingerprints should be placed on a standard fingerprint form (FD-258) commonly used for applicant or law enforcement purposes. The FBI will accept FD-258 fingerprint cards on standard white paper stock.
You must provide a current fingerprint card. Previously processed cards or copies will not be accepted.
Your name and date of birth must be provided on the fingerprint card.
You must include rolled impressions of all 10 fingerprints and impressions of all 10 fingerprints taken at the same time (these are sometimes referred to as plain or flat impressions).
If possible, have your fingerprints taken by a fingerprinting technician. This service may be available at a law enforcement agency.
Fingerprints taken with ink or via live scan are acceptable. If your fingerprints are taken via a live scan device, a hard copy must be generated so the fingerprint card can be mailed to the FBI.
To ensure the most legible prints possible, refer to the Recording Legible Fingerprints page. If fingerprints are not legible, the fingerprint card will be rejected. This could cause delays in processing and could also result in additional fees.
The name on your response letter will match the name indicated on the fingerprint card when your application, payment, and fingerprint card are submitted via the mail.
If the last four digits of your social security number are needed on your response letter, then please ensure the full nine-digits or last four digits of your Social Security number are on the fingerprint card when submitting your request.

12. Where can I get my fingerprints taken?

If submitting directly to the FBI, your local, county, or state law enforcement agencies may take your fingerprints for a fee. Also, some printing companies offer this service; check the yellow pages in your telephone book or search online.

https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/identity-history-summary-checks