LED Light Strips Banned From Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
DIGESETT will begin removing LED strips from vehicles tomorrow.

Google Translation:

SANTO DOMINGO. Agents of the Directorate General of Traffic Safety and Land Transportation (DIGESETT) will dismantle as of tomorrow Saturday the accessories for the emission of high-luminosity and light-emitting diode (LED) lights in motor vehicles that circulate on the tracks public.

The institution of the road order indicated that the actions will be implemented throughout the national territory and that at the time of the citizen being stopped using high-luminosity bars (LED) in their vehicles and other than those of factory, they will be inspected and they must proceed to disassemble it.

The spokesman of the DIGESETT, Colonel Rafael Tejeda Baldera, indicated that the clearing is essential once the citizen has been inspected, this includes multiple bars, lanterns, spherical headlights and other modalities of the same characteristics.
Also, Tejeda Baldera said, that are excepted from this prohibition high brightness lights that are used by the factory in the motor vehicle in case of fog or rain.

Regarding sports and recreational use, users must obtain authorization through a permit from the National Institute of Traffic and Land Transportation (INTRANT), bearing in mind that the aforementioned permit will not be valid to travel on public roads, roads, highways, avenues, streets in rural or urban areas where they must be covered by a protector that prevents the emission of said lights in said places.

The DIGESETT, encourages the entire population that makes use of these high-luminosity lights, to take the appropriate measures, thus avoiding being audited and dismantling during the process of institutional actions.

The actions are contained in resolution Num.009-2018, issued by the National Institute of Traffic and Land Transportation (INTRANT), which prohibits the use, installation, modification, addition or adaptation of LED lighting emission accessories.

Sep 4, 2012
I have never been able to bring myself to the LED phan bois ckub, nor have I ever partaken into buying rims, what a waste!

Rims, lights, give me a break. The poor isn't poor because of a lack of money, rather for a lack of logic thoughts!

Take them all down.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If they issued us hand guns to shoot them out, then I will believe they are seriuos. I would even buy my own bullets.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I'll believe when I see it.. I hope they have there guns out because a few guys i know they will need them...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I thought "AMET" was a daytime job!

I have NEVER seen AMET working at night.

The closet I've seen is them standing in the shade (Working?).

• Love
Reactions: Britboy

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I think there needs to be a better distinction between transport (personal/commercial) and recreational vehicles. The use of these light bars on the latter can be a necessity when travelling cross country to avoid holes, ditches and fences. I have one on my ATV but I am rarely out in the dark so it doesn't get much use at all. Without one, the factory lights are completely inadequate for anywhere without street lights.

I certainly agree that the use of these led bars on common roadways is problematic as no one directs the light towards the road in favor of illuminating Saturn. I would hope that some common sense prevails and only the people caught using these lights on the roadway end up losing them. I'm not sure how many Amet folks are prepared to work at night so suspect if enforcement happens it will be a daytime operation of see one take one. While they are at it, take the whole vehicle if the brake lights don't work...

If need be I have no problems putting a cover over my light bar while on public roads.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I admit that when our big van lost a headlight and the OEM was expensive, my mechanic installed a replacement module with 9 LEDS which are much bighter than OEM.

They will be removed today.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think there needs to be a better distinction between transport (personal/commercial) and recreational vehicles. The use of these light bars on the latter can be a necessity when travelling cross country to avoid holes, ditches and fences. I have one on my ATV but I am rarely out in the dark so it doesn't get much use at all. Without one, the factory lights are completely inadequate for anywhere without street lights.

I certainly agree that the use of these led bars on common roadways is problematic as no one directs the light towards the road in favor of illuminating Saturn. I would hope that some common sense prevails and only the people caught using these lights on the roadway end up losing them. I'm not sure how many Amet folks are prepared to work at night so suspect if enforcement happens it will be a daytime operation of see one take one. While they are at it, take the whole vehicle if the brake lights don't work...

If need be I have no problems putting a cover over my light bar while on public roads.
Bright lights should be banned from public roads. Off-road is a different issue, but many of vehicles rigged for off-road use have those lights.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The stipulation that these lights be covered while on the public roads seems to me to be a decent compromise. If this is the case, I'd have no problems with confiscation even during the daytime for those who don't cover up. We'll have to see what happens.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I'll remove mine because I don't want to be denied reentry because of it,

but it is going to absolutely kill me inside every time a car with one drives in my direction.

If they want to enforce the laws, and I think they should, then they need to enforce it on everyone, all the time, and fast.

This year the cost of multas went up a lot, as well. Like a **** ton. But have you seen any less camiones missing brake lights? Any less motos without helmets? Hell, the other day I saw some Amet driving without helmets.

Here is what is actually happening: The Amet realized that people were stopping to pay propinas to avoid multas, so they raised the price of multas and added more laws.
Now, when you get stopped, the police have more power to fine you a lot of money, as well as dismantle your car. Either you will pay them significantly more money to avoid the multa and keep their hands off your car (like $1000 pesos, maybe $2,000, still half the price of a $4,000 multa) or, you will get the expensive multa, and the Amet will have a nice light bar that he can sell in the campo where there aren't any Amet.

Like I said, I'll take off my light bar. But now, I'm finding reasons to avoid Santo Domingo like the plague, because we all know that's the place for Amet to harass tourists. Also the only place I couldn't talk or bribe my way out of a multa. And the most annoying thing is, I am 100% confident I didn't break any laws when I got that multa.

The other day I watched a commercial truck driver throwing styrofoam trash out the window of his truck, just weeks after the entire country was getting national news coverage for littering.

Don't get me wrong, I really love so much about this place, but some days, it can be frustrating. I hope it's still amazing in 40 years when I'm retired and just want to sit on the beach all day, but I'm worried it won't be.

Now I need some ideas for using this 10" super bright LED light bar! Decorative lighting under the sofa? Flood light for my parking space? Emergency light driven by batteries during a power outage? Paper weight? I'll take it to the US on my next flight, it cost about as much as an overstay fine and I used silicone to make sure it's waterproof for forever, it's a nice one...of course I can't use it on the road there either, but if I do, the police won't steal it from me on the side of the road, just get a fix it ticket, send it to ticket clinic, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.