TAXI DRIVER FROM AIRPORT

ishwri

Jul 7, 2011
DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD TAXI DRIVER THAT CAN PICK ME UP FROM SANTO DOMINGO AIRPORT? THAT SPEAKS ENGLISH?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Destination? Any specific reason you need an English speaking driver?

Cheapest would be using Uber and most convenient, without the hassle of haggling for a price, is just to reserve an airport taxi online.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD TAXI DRIVER THAT CAN PICK ME UP FROM SANTO DOMINGO AIRPORT? THAT SPEAKS ENGLISH?

Jesus, 809 432 0999, he drives for most of the hotels in the Zona and is super reliable and speaks good English. You can message him on Whatsapp on that number.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thank you for the reply. I need to get to my hotel

If your hotel is in Santo Domingo Centro the "reserved" airport taxi is $33. Make reservation online http://sichala.com/inicio/. Just before you exit the airport you will see the driver holding a sheet of paper with your name. Most likely won't speak English so just write down the name of the hotel. Give him the directions and if he is not sure he will check with another driver before leaving the airport.

The webpage for reservation is in English also.

Or go with post #3.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Use Uber or cabify and you won't spend any more than 14 bucks. A lot of the Uber drivers at the airport are running a scam so cabify probably will be the better option

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Use Uber or cabify and you won't spend any more than 14 bucks. A lot of the Uber drivers at the airport are running a scam so cabify probably will be the better option

Exactly why I switched over to reserve an airport taxi with Sichala. After my flight I am in no mood for the BS the Uber drivers are trying. I much rather pay the $33 for a A/C hassle free ride into town.

Once I am settled down I will use Uber exclusively in town.....................

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

What kind of scam?

I will wait for alexw to clarify especially since it wasn't that long ago he was giving me such a hard time about using Sichala as an alternative since he swore by Uber at the airport.

I'll stand behind Uber. At least I know my driver is there or will be there in a matter of mins. It was nice speaking with you.

Above quote from the Uber in Santo Domingo thread. The stage is yours alexw.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
I will wait for alexw to clarify especially since it wasn't that long ago he was giving me such a hard time about using Sichala as an alternative since he swore by Uber at the airport.

Above quote from the Uber in Santo Domingo thread. The stage is yours alexw.

This is kind of weird that you're this obsessive but $14 beats $33 any day of the week. Besides uber isnt the only game in town since cabify arrived last year. Continue your obsession I'll continue to pay no more than $14usd at the maximum.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
This is kind of weird that you're this obsessive but $14 beats $33 any day of the week. Besides uber isnt the only game in town since cabify arrived last year. Continue your obsession I'll continue to pay no more than $14usd at the maximum.

Why don't you two get a cabana?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Not obsessed at all, just nice to see you eat your own words.

Back to square one, Uber, or for you it is now cabify, is perfect for the frequent visitor or resident. You really can't compare the two because one offers a better service than the other. If all you want to do is arrive at the second set of sliding doors and let the driver take over from there it will cost the extra premium.

A lot of Uber drivers will not accept the airport pickups because they are losing money. You say you pay $14 to SD centro. That is easily an hour and a half round trip with a little traffic. At least $5 worth of gas, 60 pesos toll returning, wear and tear on the vehicle......... How much is this driver making? Close to nothing and if you are not giving him a decent tip it won't be long before cabify will start playing games also.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Not obsessed at all, just nice to see you eat your own words.

Back to square one, Uber, or for you it is now cabify, is perfect for the frequent visitor or resident. You really can't compare the two because one offers a better service than the other. If all you want to do is arrive at the second set of sliding doors and let the driver take over from there it will cost the extra premium.

A lot of Uber drivers will not accept the airport pickups because they are losing money. You say you pay $14 to SD centro. That is easily an hour and a half round trip with a little traffic. At least $5 worth of gas, 60 pesos toll returning, wear and tear on the vehicle......... How much is this driver making? Close to nothing and if you are not giving him a decent tip it won't be long before cabify will start playing games also.

I would only be eating my words if I paid that ridiculous rate you're paying. Listen if you like paying 60% more than I do sobeit but I'll just continue to report the bad drivers and ride for much less than you. I'll leave you with this famous quote," a fool and his money shall part."

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I would only be eating my words if I paid that ridiculous rate you're paying. Listen if you like paying 60% more than I do sobeit but I'll just continue to report the bad drivers and ride for much less than you. I'll leave you with this famous quote," a fool and his money shall part."

What you seem to keep missing is the convenience of the reserved taxi. I tried the Uber thing several times. I just got tired of banging around in the elevator to get to departure level. Standing in the heat trying to contact Uber. Uber trying to game me and say cancel and pay cash. Finally get Uber vehicle and it is a six minute wait. Uber arrives and because the license plate is on the rear of the vehicle if I am not watching closely the car drives by. Now I have to go running after the vehicle.

OK, now Uber is here but driver is too lazy to help me fit the luggage in the trunk. Finally off we go and arrive at my destination and once again driver too lazy to help with the luggage. Whereas with the airport taxi I am halfway up the highway before you get into Uber. I never touch my luggage and upon arrival the cabbie takes my luggage out of the trunk and places it at the elevator.

To me paying that extra premium is well worth it.............

Some like Caribe where others pay extra for Metro. Some like riding in a Volkswagon Bug others want an Escalade. I think that is very simple to understand. I certainly would not suggest to a person on vacation to go through the Uber hassle just to save a few bucks.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
What you seem to keep missing is the convenience of the reserved taxi. I tried the Uber thing several times. I just got tired of banging around in the elevator to get to departure level. Standing in the heat trying to contact Uber. Uber trying to game me and say cancel and pay cash. Finally get Uber vehicle and it is a six minute wait. Uber arrives and because the license plate is on the rear of the vehicle if I am not watching closely the car drives by. Now I have to go running after the vehicle.

OK, now Uber is here but driver is too lazy to help me fit the luggage in the trunk. Finally off we go and arrive at my destination and once again driver too lazy to help with the luggage. Whereas with the airport taxi I am halfway up the highway before you get into Uber. I never touch my luggage and upon arrival the cabbie takes my luggage out of the trunk and places it at the elevator.

To me paying that extra premium is well worth it.............

Some like Caribe where others pay extra for Metro. Some like riding in a Volkswagon Bug others want an Escalade. I think that is very simple to understand. I certainly would not suggest to a person on vacation to go through the Uber hassle just to save a few bucks.

Good night Big Bird we don't need to have this conversation every two months

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I still use uber and will continue to use it...... it's still the best game on town... send all my chica's home in it as well...

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I still use uber and will continue to use it...... it's still the best game on town... send all my chica's home in it as well...

Yes RD, Uber is the best game "in town" but may not be the best choice for transportation from the airport. Not everyone wants to fly coach all the time.