Colonial District, Santo Domingo

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
I'll be visiting Santo Domingo on my next trip to the DR, and once there I will be hiring a taxi driver to take us along the Colonial District for about 4-5 hours.

Does anyone know the approx. cost on what I can expect to pay for this type of service. Or can you recommend another alternative, I have no intention of trying to drive while I'm in S.D.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
What area of town are you going to be coming from?

You can get to the Zona Colonial from my area of town for about 60 pesos, get out, walk around and then get another taxi back for another 60 pesos. While in the zona colonial you can hire an English speaking guide for 10USD (or less) to take you around and explain things to you.

then there's the cheap way
If you are on major streets you could easily take a carro publico to the zona colonial for 5 pesos (or ten if you have to change cars) and then use your guide book to explain things.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
I'll be coming from Punta Cana, so I'll be taking the express bus, maybe from Bavaro or Higuey. I'm assuming I could have the taxi driver drop us off and later pick us up. I done my reading on this area and have a great map listing all the attractions, will be travelling with dominican friends so I don't think I'll need a guide. Don't want to be on a bus in S.D.

How far is the Col. District from the bus stop.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Both the Metro and Caribe bus lines are not too far from the Zona Colonial so just hop into a taxi, it should cost you about 60 pesos to get down there, let your taxi go and you can get another one at Parque Independencia or the Catedral at the end of the day very easily.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You will likely have to pay 70 pesos if coming from the Caribe Tour bus terminal. The drivers there tend to charge a little more than do drivers of cabs you get elsewhere. For example, I can get from the hotel where I stay to the terminal for 60 pesos, but to go to the hotel from the terminal costs me 70.

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
RBAZAN: I send your contact an email and unfortunately he is unable to accommodate my request. Thanks anyway:

Gracias por escribirme y por tu interes en mis servicios.
Desafortunadamente nosotros no hacemos servicios cortos en la ciudad de Santo Domingo, eso se lo dejamos a los Taxis locales, mi negocio esta enfocado a hacer transferencias mas largas. Un saludo.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Taxis

If you have any problem getting a taxi (which you won't)

Call Zona Taxi at 333-9999 or 681-9999
or Apolo Taxi at 537-0000
or my friend Elias at McGwire Taxi (yes, named after Mark McGuire) His Cell is 765-2816

All of these companies have served me well.

However, in the areas where you'll be you will be inundated with people asking you if you want a taxi so just get in one and go.

And I agree with Ken, you may have to pay 70 pesos for the trip..

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
gonzaga said:
I'll be coming from Punta Cana, so I'll be taking the express bus, maybe from Bavaro or Higuey. I'm assuming I could have the taxi driver drop us off and later pick us up. I done my reading on this area and have a great map listing all the attractions, will be travelling with dominican friends so I don't think I'll need a guide. Don't want to be on a bus in S.D.

How far is the Col. District from the bus stop.

Neither Metro nor Caribe Tours travel to Punta Cana nor Higuey. You are talking about the RD$120 per person Sitrabapu bus that will drop you off either in Parque Enriquillo or at their Maximo Gomez Avenue stop. Ask to be dropped off at Maximo Gomez Avenue. It will be a RD$60 taxi ride to the Colonial City, about 20 minutes away or maybe more depending on the time of the day. Without traffic it's but 10 minutes away.

Another taxi driver can then return you to the Sitrabapu bus stop, or you can arrange for the same guy to come back for you, but probably that complicates things. Taxis at RD$60 are easy to call, and will show up in three minutes almost anywhere. Any shop owner may do you the favor and call one for you.