CRUISE PROTOCOL

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good afternoon to all,

I am not certain if this question is correct for this forum.
I am a long term resident in the DR with an EU passport.
My wife finally convinced me to embark on a Luxury Cruise. This will be a first for us.
My question is, if one has an excursion in a foreign country.....any foreign country at all, are there regular immigration procedures......if so, is the Boat taking care of this in advance or is there no procedure, because you are leaving and returning in a group at a set time.......?

Thank you.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Not sure what you mean but the immigration rules for the country visited remain in place. For example a Dominican cannot go on a cruise to British/French/American islands without the relevant visas for those islands.

Matilda

tripp789

May 4, 2018
I have cruised several times from the USA to Caribbean and Latin American ports. All entry and departure requirements are handled by the cruise line.

Typically you walk off and walk on. Most ports do have guards watching but I don’t recall ever being stopped or asked for papers other than by the ships crew upon returning to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Does your wife have an EU passport as well?

If either of you needs a visa to travel to any country on your cruise itinerary, then you will need a visa to get off the ship in those countries. Some cruise lines won't let you board at all if you do not meet the entry requirements for all of their planned stops.

Immigration at the port usually receives a list of passengers and their passport info prior to the arrival of the ship. They know you are coming and if a visa is required for entry, they will want to see it.

tripp789

May 4, 2018
Again my experience is that the cruise line takes care of all visa paperwork as part of your package. Port authorities are given the information needed by the line.

No one wants it to take hours to off and on load 3000 passengers for a 10 hour stopover.

All of these answers are probably available on the cruise lines website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk