New Dominican Natural Plates (Replaces Plastic/Styrofoam Plates)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
At 23:35 Doña Consuelo presents a new Dominican made product of plates made from Yagua palms. Its suppose to be biodegradable and 100% natural, organic, perfect for anyone looking to be more environmentally friendly by replacing plastic/styrofoam plates. According to the inventor (interviewed in the video) the plates can be used for anything, including soups. The new products will be ready for mass sale in October.

Very interesting.

Even those that don't know Spanish can clearly see in the video how the plates look. If interested, can keep an eye open while shopping starting October 2018.

[video=youtube;tvkV-aFgIo8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvkV-aFgIo8[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Correction: The product is already on sale. They started to mass produce them in October 2017.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Video is in Spanish so being that I don't fully understand, I have a question, are they microwave safe ?

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Video is in Spanish so being that I don't fully understand, I have a question, are they microwave safe ?
He states at 29:03 that they can be in microwave or oven for up to two minutes without combustion.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
why would you even put them in the microwave in the first place? these are single-use type of plates meant to replace styrofoam/plastic plates, you don't microwave these - or do you?

so far the plates are only available in 2 stores in SD. seems like a nice hipster feel-good project. consuelo says they are "barato" but does not mention the price.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The creator said that the plates have been tested and they can be re-used and are microweavable up to 2 minutes. You can put cold and hot food, even a steaming sancocho, on the plates/bowls and they hold well. He didn't say how often can the plates be re-used before they begin to disintegrate.

The best part is that its biodegradable. If people dispose of them incorrectly (throw them anywhere along a road or in rivers or anywhere else where many Dominicans throw plastic/styrofoam materials without thinking twice), they will naturally degrade back to nature without causing any harm to the wildlife, plants, or the soil.

Hopefully they will create cups too. It would certainly be much more practical to use cups of this material than the plastic/styrofoam ones, especially during a kid's birthday party. Actually, these would be perfect to replace the little paper cups that are often used to serve coffee in many businesses and by many vendors throughout the DR.

Last edited:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The creator said that the plates have been tested and they can be re-used and are microweavable up to 2 minutes. You can put cold and hot food, even a steaming sancocho, on the plates/bowls and they hold well. He didn't say how often can the plates be re-used before they begin to disintegrate.

The best part is that its biodegradable. If people dispose of them incorrectly (throw them anywhere along a road or in rivers or anywhere else where many Dominicans throw plastic/styrofoam materials without thinking twice), they will naturally degrade back to nature without causing any harm to the wildlife, plants, or the soil.

Hopefully they will create cups too. It would certainly be much more practical to use cups of this material than the plastic/styrofoam ones, especially during a kid's birthday party. Actually, these would be perfect to replace the little paper cups that are often used to serve coffee in many businesses and by many vendors throughout the DR.

"Jeez, look at all the trash everywhere. Don't folks know what a garbage can is?"

"Don't worry my friend, it's biodegradable!"

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
"Jeez, look at all the trash everywhere. Don't folks know what a garbage can is?"

Oh I think they know but it's 4 steps away! or if I keep a trash sack in the car it will make it smell bad.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
The price will determine whether it will be a success but anything that helps bringing the pollution down deserves my support.
I agree 100% and I guarantee you that they are probably three or more times the cost and will be an almost complete failure in this country,I hope I am wrong but I would bet my life that I am not. Those styrofoam containers are very inexpensive and there is not a single pico pollo stand in all of the DR that will pay a tenth of a peso more in order to be "green". Yes,some of the establishments in Cabarete have gone to plastic straws etc. and I applaud their efforts but they are shoveling feces against the tide,it starts at the grade school level with proper education and enforcement,almost everything else is a waste of time and money.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003

According to the creator, once the plates are discarded they fully disintegrate at least within 30 days.

How long does it take for plastic or styrofoam to disintegrate? Is it in the thousands of years? Yagua plates it is!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
https://www.thoughtco.com/do-biodegradable-items-really-break-down-1204144
These new plates may break down but I have my doubts according to the above link on the time frame unless they are not put into a landfill.

Landfills Too Tightly Packed for Most Trash to Biodegrade
Most landfills are fundamentally anaerobic because they are compacted so tightly, and thus do not let much air in. As such, any biodegradation that does take place does so very slowly.

“Typically in landfills, there’s not much dirt, very little oxygen, and few if any microorganisms,” says green consumer advocate and author Debra Lynn Dadd. She cites a landfill study conducted by University of Arizona researchers that uncovered still-recognizable 25-year-old hot dogs, corncobs and grapes in landfills, as well as 50-year-old newspapers that were still readable.

Sep 4, 2012
I'm not sure the company could keep up the pace of making these plates at the rate that they are used up and furthermore; don't believe the prime material is there for this to be a sustainable item.

The ratio of use vs. the availability of prime material might just be too low on the latter.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
^^ Plantations can be developed to produce a stable supply. In the mean time they can import whatever is necessary to cover the demand. Yaguas doesn’t grow exclusively on Dominican soil.

For many years oil from the African palm nuts was imported because that’s an important ingredient for producing soaps, cooking oil, and many other things. Then in the 80’s Induspalma was created, they bought huge tracts of land in Monte Plata and Hato Mayor provinces, bought thousands of young African palms and created the African palms plantations that the Samaná - Santo Domingo cuts through. In the 90’s the trees were producing enough nuts to make the DR the only Caribbean country that is self sustainable in African palm oil, in essence replacing the imports. Some excedents are also exported to neighboring islands.

I don’t see why the same can’t happen with the Yaguas.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2012
^^ Plantations can be developed to produce a stable supply. In the mean time they can import whatever is necessary to cover the demand. Yaguas doesn’t grow exclusively on Dominican soil.

For many years oil from the African palm nuts was imported because that’s an important ingredient for producing soaps, cooking oil, and many other things. Then in the 80’s Induspalma was created, they bought huge tracts of land in Monte Plata and Hato Mayor provinces, bought thousands of young African palms and created the African palms plantations that the Samaná - Santo Domingo cuts through. In the 90’s the trees were producing enough nuts to make the DR the only Caribbean country that is self sustainable in African palm oil, in essence replacing the imports. Some excedents are also exported to neighboring islands.

I don’t see why the same can’t happen with the Yaguas.

No arguing that it can not be done - just stating the obvious, at the moment - the industry won't be able to sustain the demands placed upon it as is.

The palm trees plantations and farming must be developed/industrialized and that will take some time.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a bit of an update in regards to biodegradable plates. jose luis in PP has some available (not the ones discussed here previously). these ones are made of yuca, i believe? they look like paper/cardboard. there are plates, bowls and standard takeaway containers. i have not bought any yet since i still have a supply i got before xmas but the prices are just minimally higher than styrofoam.

next time i'm there i will take a picture.

heck, i think now i have to buy some to provide customer review.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The ones I have seen are made from Sugar Cane....
and are a by-product of the rum industry

Waste for waste basically....
my preference.....fully degradable in 6 months, tolerate some heat and water

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Just this week I saw an article about biodegradable places, cups, etc., make from avocado seeds.

Times they are a-changing