Any experience with Claro Internet Movil ?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I use a claro hot spot and it is very good.

That one?

awf3py.png
[/IMG]

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
That one?

awf3py.png
[/IMG]

I have that exact box on my desk (and whereever I ago) since more than a year as a back-up and for VoiP. Not a single bad word to say. Reliable/fast/covarege (I've been to pretty deep campo and yet to find a spot with bad coverage).

Goes to roughly 60 Mbps downward...

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I purchased a mobile hotspot from Claro almost two years ago. I add credit when I need to, and have had no problems with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Good connectivity with Claro. I always recharge when I return to DR. You can get a cheap phone for DR use in Ebay and buy Claro minutes in the airport.

Thanks, but i live here and have a cellphone contract with Claro. And what is to "recharge" with this modem?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I've had the Claro box for a couple years with no issues - mines white. Probably an older version. Now I have a dual sim phone and use a claro data sim card along with the Claro phone sim. Much more convenient.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I've had the Claro box for a couple years with no issues - mines white. Probably an older version. Now I have a dual sim phone and use a claro data sim card along with the Claro phone sim. Much more convenient.

I can use the hotspot from my iphone but I think data usage is cheaper with the mobil internet unit. (My cellphone plan covers 5 GB and if we use the computers with it we need more data volumen).

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Thanks, but i live here and have a cellphone contract with Claro. And what is to "recharge" with this modem?

I also have a contract with Claro and a monthly plan for this box, but in case I use all the GBs, I can put a recarga to this plan as if it was a prepaid device. I use the box on weekly basis, so that must be why, but kudos for Claro, I put a recarga of about 500 pesos to the box in the end of last year, used so that the rest balance was 380 pesos, and they have taken zero away from that (during 6+ months)...

Another good feature is the monthly roll-over. I have a 10 GB plan, but any GBs, that I don't use during the month, are passed on to the next month. Right now, with this 10 GB plan, my monthly allowance within the plan for next month is 19.03 GB (what is left). Bear in mind though, the roll-over only lasts for 2-3 months (I think), after that, you start losing your GBs if you're not using them. Max allowance is 20 GB I think.

See the recargas (or, actually paqueticos) here:

https://www.claro.com.do/personas/servicios/servicios-moviles/internet-movil/paquetes-adicionales/

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
That one?

awf3py.png
[/IMG]

That looks like an updated model but similar. I pay 1300RD / month. I have Claro in my house fiber optic 20 over 3. The hot spot actually test higher. I have had it going on 2 years and it performs well pretty much all over the Island.
I need for work so I can tell you if it didn't work I wouldn't have it.
good luck

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks for your input.

I have 100 mb claro fiber optic here in SD.

Moving to Santiago soon, I learned Claro does not offer fiber optic in La Zurza to where I will move. Tricom does. Having not that great of an experience with their 100 mb service here in the capital I will go with the 100 mb Tricom there and Claro (they can give me 20 mb there) as a back up.

Need the velocities for work too. I think I will get the movil too as a back up.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We don't have data plans on the three cell phones in our household, but do have a Claro "puck" for wifi on the go.

Ours is 3G (all Claro had at the time) and we plan to upgrade to LTE soon. The 3G circuits get busy in some areas and bandwidth can slow to a crawl.

But overall for mobile use, it's a fine bit of tech.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
That looks like an updated model but similar. I pay 1300RD / month. I have Claro in my house fiber optic 20 over 3. The hot spot actually test higher. I have had it going on 2 years and it performs well pretty much all over the Island.
I need for work so I can tell you if it didn't work I wouldn't have it.
good luck

I pay the exact same amount. We also have Claro fixed line (no fiber-optic in POP), and as said, I use this box for VoiP (for work), as max here is 20/3 with the fixed line. Claro, though, says that our line does not support 20, only 10, but I made them leave 20, and they did...

So if the box and the data for it would cost much less, I would probably consider ending fixed-line contract with Claro and just stay with the box. Had it for more than a year, never had any issues nor lost connection...

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
caribmike, how's your experience so far with Tricom 100mbs service in Santiago?

I am in the same situation as you were, might not have claro fibra optica where im moving in Santiago and thinking about doing the same, tricom 100mb + this hotspot as backup plan.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I live now 2 weeks here (moved the weekend before last weekend) Altice showed up my first Monday here to set everything up, works perfect.

Claro, on the other hand still did NOT show up to install. Both lines were transfers. I will cancel Claro next week (They only can offer here 20 mb vs 100 mb Altice).

As a backup I bought this

https://www.altice.com.do/personal/movil/internet-altice-4g-lte

(Ilimitado 4). Works perfect, I am surprised it does work that well, very pleased.

Btw, there were voices here on DR1 there will be more power outages and especially Santiago will be hit hard.

Errm, right, in the 2 weeks the power did not go for more than 1 time for 10 (!) seconds, thats it versus in Santo Domingo every day various times in an "A" sector in Los Restauradores. Glad I moved.

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Glad to hear that.

I remember when I first moved in SD 6 years ago, having to deal with Tricom was one of the worst experience I had to deal with a company, service was horrible and they stole a bunch of money from me.

Claro on the other hand, never had any issue. Hopefully my 2nd experience with tricom/altice is better.

I'm moving next month, cant wait to leave hell city.