A question for expats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hedonist

Aug 23, 2018
Hi everybody!
New here, just registered and have a question. I am planning to move to DR in a close future. Been there various times and liked it. I was searching info about which is the safest place to live in PC area, and all fingers point at Cocotal. Is that still a reality? My second concern is my love for sports cars. Would it be a trouble driving around in a 200k+ car and if so, what kind of troubles.
Thanks in advance!

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Sorry, I can't give advice on the PC area, but wouldn't advise driving such an expensive sports car. Firstly it marks you out as wealthy which can be dangerous, secondly the standard of driving and parking is not so great here so damage is more likely, thirdly a low sports car is not so good outside of town, where many roads have deep holes which can cause damage.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You'll stick out like a sore thumb. Might as well pin a sign on you back that says - I'm a rich gringo - rob me!

There are way too many roads here that a low to the ground sports cars can traverse and there are too many potholes in many areas just waiting to bust your expensive rims with those low profile tires and a lot of excessively high speed bumps that you will have a hard time passing over.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Completely agree that an expensive sport car will make you a mark here. And a potentially short lived mark.

And such a vehicle is totally impractical for so many other reasons from bad roads to lack of parts and knowledgeable mechanics. And just getting such a car onto this island if you already own it. A really bad idea from every perspective.

Can't help you will living arrangements there. I never considered that part of the island as a place to live.

Hedonist

Aug 23, 2018
I've rented a car while there and yes, there are roads that a low sports car cant traverse, but not all of them, I can deal with that, knowing where to drive. On the ''rob me'' thing, I've seen a huge number of very expensive cars in Santo Domingo. It is just because I'm a gringo? If that is so, it would be a deal breaker for me, I'm too much of an enthusiast. Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've rented a car while there and yes, there are roads that a low sports car cant traverse, but not all of them, I can deal with that, knowing where to drive. On the ''rob me'' thing, I've seen a huge number of very expensive cars in Santo Domingo. It is just because I'm a gringo? If that is so, it would be a deal breaker for me, I'm too much of an enthusiast. Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated!

those cars that you see in Santo Domingo are usually driven by guys with surnames like Ramos, Lama, and Bournigal. they get to pack serious heat.

i do not think you are one of those..

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
The Punta Cana / Bavaro area doesn't have that many potholes but it does have a lot of speed bumps and reductors (or coconuts as I call them). As for Cocotal, it remains one of the best residential areas, all depends on what you're looking for exactly.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a serious club in Sto Dom with all those slick vehicles...F's , anything you want.
They race and get killed sometimes.

I saw a Maserati on the north coast last week.... second or third one I've seen in a few years.
Big Bentley coupe blew by me on the Moca hill once...without a care in the world for the curve he passed on

They are here.... whether you'd have fun is the question

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

The rich Dominicans in SD with the expensive sports cars only take those out when they want to impress people with how rich they are and they know that they will only be on good roads. Otherwise, if they're going out and about travelling anywhere, they get in their almost as expensive luxury SUV's.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The rich Dominicans in SD with the expensive sports cars only take those out when they want to impress people with how rich they are and they know that they will only be on good roads. Otherwise, if they're going out and about travelling anywhere, they get in their almost as expensive luxury SUV's.

their kids use them to cruise the SD malecon on weekend nights. a guy in SD has an Enzo...

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
My cousin just bought a brand new Porsche Cayenne. I saw it yesterday. It's cool. It's fast. It sits high off the ground. I see the logic of it. He doesn't have to worry about Pot Holes and Speed Bumps. Seems to have a lot of suspension. I think the fast SUV's is the way to go on this island.

Hedonist

Aug 23, 2018
The Punta Cana / Bavaro area doesn't have that many potholes but it does have a lot of speed bumps and reductors (or coconuts as I call them). As for Cocotal, it remains one of the best residential areas, all depends on what you're looking for exactly.

Thanks Kate, I will be looking for a house or build one myself.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I would not be concerned about safety in the PC area, as long as you don't act the stupid gringo. Its been my experience that the roads in the PC/bavaro area are pretty well maintained.
They do, however, have numerous "speedbumps" which can catch you off guard if you are not paying attention.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Yeah, a lot of those speed bumps aren't painted and it seems just when you take your eyes off the road to look at something - bang! - you're flying over one. It would definitely rip off the spoilers on a sports car. Even in my Toyota Corolla, some of them are so high that I have to come to a complete stop and go over at a 30 degree angle, one wheel at a time, or I bottom out.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Hi everybody!
New here, just registered and have a question. I am planning to move to DR in a close future. Been there various times and liked it. I was searching info about which is the safest place to live in PC area, and all fingers point at Cocotal. Is that still a reality? My second concern is my love for sports cars. Would it be a trouble driving around in a 200k+ car and if so, what kind of troubles.
Thanks in advance!

You want to share what the brand and model is of that car?
btw Cocotal is a good choice for a safe place, but always look your doors and windows...everywhere

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
About three months ago Mercedes-Benz opened its third showroom in the DR. The first one is in Santo Domingo, the second one in Santiago, and the newest one in P-U-N-T-A C-A-N-A.

DR is the only country in the Caribbean and Central America with more than one showroom, let alone three.

[video=youtube;S5SgLkoREmo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5SgLkoREmo[/video]

Just saying... vroom, vroom!!!

If they do reasonably well out there in PC, expect the rest of the luxury gang to open shop too.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you have the money, you can drive whatever you want here. Obviously some vehicles are more practical than others.

If it ain't sold here, expect to have to import your own parts. You may have to buy your mechanic a Spanish version of the appropriate Chilton Repair Guide. If the OP isn't yet an expert at fixing his car, I suspect he soon will be. He'll be horrified at what the locals will do to his precious when he's not looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.