Thank you El Gorgon!

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
After reading several glowing reviews of El Gorgon assistance in buy a car, I decided to have him car shop for me. We went Monday and he had a beautiul 2013 Kia K5 with 58000 kilometers picked out. Everything went super smooth and we drove it off the lot!

Another satisfied customer!

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
After reading several glowing reviews of El Gorgon assistance in buy a car, I decided to have him car shop for me. We went Monday and he had a beautiul 2013 Kia K5 with 58000 kilometers picked out. Everything went super smooth and we drove it off the lot!

Another satisfied customer!

...Don, can you tell me if you ever looked at or considered a hyundai sonata Y20 Lpi...I was looking at the one you bought and the Hyunai.... bought the hyundai....you also had the right man find you the car .........Doc........

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
...Don, can you tell me if you ever looked at or considered a hyundai sonata Y20 Lpi...I was looking at the one you bought and the Hyunai.... bought the hyundai....you also had the right man find you the car .........Doc........

the K5 is a little nicer looking...both are wonderful cars. there is a guy in Santiago with a Y20 with almost half a million kilometers, and it still runs excellently. you cannot go wrong with these..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
N20 is the new "Corolla" of the publico drivers :D

The Y20 looks much better.

they are great cars, though. bigger inside than the corolla, and runs more like a Camry. if you have a low budget, that is your car. you just have to know how to buy one, because most of them were taxis in Korea.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
they are great cars, though. bigger inside than the corolla, and runs more like a Camry. if you have a low budget, that is your car. you just have to know how to buy one, because most of them were taxis in Korea.
...right..... on both Y 20 and N20, the way to check if it was a taxi is.....the taxi will have no airbags in front seat... the non taxi has 2 air bags, no matter what color the car is........Doc........

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
...right..... on both Y 20 and N20, the way to check if it was a taxi is.....the taxi will have no airbags in front seat... the non taxi has 2 air bags, no matter what color the car is........Doc........

actually, some of the k5 taxis have one airbag. then again, you also have to worry about the guys from Moca who have the hot stamp which they use to stamp airbag into the dash. as i said, getting skinned can be easy..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It's this kind of knowledge that makes our Gorgon the 'Go To Guy'

In a country like this where scams are invented, he can slide through the tricks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's this kind of knowledge that makes our Gorgon the 'Go To Guy'

In a country like this where scams are invented, he can slide through the tricks.

thanks, ww. some guys here are aware that the general knowledge about these ex taxis is the airbag, so they created a stamp which you heat up, and stamp airbag on the steering pad and the right side of the dash. also, there is a bootleg back up camera that they install, but the genuine version says K5 when it activates..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It need not be a dealer.... any red blooded Dominican can make trouble for you with a new car.

Mine , for example....

I wasn't happy with the radio - small 1/2 sized version.
I wanted a full screen, Sirius, Apple Play, Rear camera vision etc.

So --- I bought one

after taking the car apart for the install , we found some tricks
The previous owner must have had a special speaker system which he removed and replaced with inferior stuff.
No problem - I was upping the speakers.

There must have been a rear camera... but the removal was done in a hurry.... just cut wires - no reattaching them
Done by a butcher.

These weren't big problems but pointed out what can happen here that I doubt you'd see elsewhere.

Buyer Beware carries more weight in RD......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It need not be a dealer.... any red blooded Dominican can make trouble for you with a new car.

Mine , for example....

So --- I bought one

The previous owner must have had a special speaker system which he removed and replaced with inferior stuff.

There must have been a rear camera... but the removal was done in a hurry.... just cut wires - no reattaching them
Done by a butcher.
told

These weren't big problems but pointed out what can happen here that I doubt you'd see elsewhere.

the problem is that there are a few guys in the DR who actually know what they are doing, and the rest are amateurs.

some months ago, i bought a Chinese cellphone which had received stellar reviews on youtube. after using it for a few days, i decided to call an old friend , so i activated the contacts application. lo and behold, the device had expunged all my contacts! i was devastated. not one number left. so, i took it to a renowned repair guy in POP, and left it with him for an entire day. when i got back, he gave me bad news, and told me to take it to the POP guru, Amaury. he could do nothing, so he sent me to a guy whom he said has the latest tech and software. two days...nothing. three other shops...no hope.

then my buddy Nivar asks me...''have you ever tried giving it to a chica?''. what? why?

''because they know everything about cellphones. so, i took it to the famous chica den in Cangrejo, and handed it to a girl. i explained my concern, and, in 90 seconds , everything was on the screen. i bought her two grandes..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Hilarious.....!!!

Same thing installing my fancy radio....
Head mecanico pushed all the buttons to no avail....

Some chico in the 'heavy work' part of the body shop touched 2 buttons and we had action

The difference between 'mecanico' & 'tecnico'..... hahaha

kid was 16 or so....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Mine , for example....

So --- I bought one

Done by a butcher.

Plus any Dominican that works on your car will have bolts left over - not a good sign for long term use

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
the problem is that there are a few guys in the DR who actually know what they are doing, and the rest are amateurs.

some months ago, i bought a Chinese cellphone which had received stellar reviews on youtube. after using it for a few days, i decided to call an old friend , so i activated the contacts application. lo and behold, the device had expunged all my contacts! i was devastated. not one number left. so, i took it to a renowned repair guy in POP, and left it with him for an entire day. when i got back, he gave me bad news, and told me to take it to the POP guru, Amaury. he could do nothing, so he sent me to a guy whom he said has the latest tech and software. two days...nothing. three other shops...no hope.

then my buddy Nivar asks me...''have you ever tried giving it to a chica?''. what? why?

''because they know everything about cellphones. so, i took it to the famous chica den in Cangrejo, and handed it to a girl. i explained my concern, and, in 90 seconds , everything was on the screen. i bought her two grandes..

Where is this famous "chica den" for cell phones ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Plus any Dominican that works on your car will have bolts left over - not a good sign for long term use

i once had a guy install an ignition switch in my Skoda. when he was done, there was a bunch of washers on the floor. i asked him why he had not put them back in, and he said they were unnecessary. so i asked him if he thought the guy who designed the switch just put them in for giggles. he told me that he was right, because the thing worked.

so, i told him it worked today, but by next Monday, maybe not. he could not understand.