Going to Miami in October - recommend an optical store

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
depends on the severity of her issues.

for my last pair(s) - I went to WalMart.... fast and affordable.

For a more complicated sight issue... an optometrist - medical type ... not just an eye chart reading

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I second WW's recommendation. Unless it's some complicated vision problem - go to Walmart's. Good optometrists and cheapest prices on leses and frames.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Mr AE and I see an ophthalmologist a few times a year, but for glasses we go to America’s Best. Incredible prices and a free eye exam that’s surprisingly thorough. 2 pair glasses for me (single vision just for driving) are $69. Two pair for him (bifocal) are $109. Total including frames, lenses and exam. Mine are in car so I don’t remember brand but his are Panama Jack.

There are several locations in Miami

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
More expensive, but available much more quickly is Lenscrafters. When I was recuperating from the accident to my leg and was so weak that I could not stand for longer than fifteen minutes, my daughter took me there. They did my exam and I gave them a pair of frames I had purchased after the accident (in which my glasses were also destroyed) and they said, come back in an hour. It was a prescription for progressive lenses.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
More expensive, but available much more quickly is Lenscrafters. When I was recuperating from the accident to my leg and was so weak that I could not stand for longer than fifteen minutes, my daughter took me there. They did my exam and I gave them a pair of frames I had purchased after the accident (in which my glasses were also destroyed) and they said, come back in an hour. It was a prescription for progressive lenses.

thanks La Profe, price is always a consideration but not the prime one. Quality is number one.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Being that it seems to be that you have some time prior to your journey, it is my recommendation that you schedule an appointment with an ophthalmologist. Do a google search, and find the 1, 2 or 3 closest to the location you will be staying at, read their reviews, and choose one. Many eye clinics operated out of strip malls and storefronts may only have an optometrist on site. Although eye care professionals, they are not doctors. Opthamologists are. An optometrist will administer a basic eye exam, and if there are any questionable results will refer you to an opthamologist for a more thorough exam.
The basic eye exam an optometrist will administer will consist of the famous alpha and numeric charts, measuring of the pupil (both normal and dilated), and a diagnosis of your eye presciption (20/20 or so on.)
An opthamologist will perform the same exact exams as the optometrist, but will also perform the more thorough exams for signs of glaucoma, cataracts, allergies....and if needed will provide a medical path of remedy to correct the respective situation, ranging from prescribed droplets to surgery. Upon completion, you can purchase your frames or lenses through their office, or walk away with a copy of this prescription, which you could then take to your choice of lens or frames provider if on a restrictive budget.
My experience in relation to this topic is that I have several golf mates, who visit frequently, that are practicing opthamologists. With that said, my two pesos worth of advice say that if you are taking this journey to the US of A, you may as well seek out the more thorough of the two options, and visit an opthamologist. Eyecare is not something to take lightly, especially as we age.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Mr AE and I see an ophthalmologist a few times a year, but for glasses we go to America’s Best. Incredible prices and a free eye exam that’s surprisingly thorough. 2 pair glasses for me (single vision just for driving) are $69. Two pair for him (bifocal) are $109. Total including frames, lenses and exam. Mine are in car so I don’t remember brand but his are Panama Jack.

There are several locations in Miami

i wen to one of their stores in Ft Likkerdale, with the hook of the free exam. After the exam, salesman went hi pressure on me to buy more expensive glasses. When I refused, I was made to pay for the exam.
Don't take the bait.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i wen to one of their stores in Ft Likkerdale, with the hook of the free exam. After the exam, salesman went hi pressure on me to buy more expensive glasses. When I refused, I was made to pay for the exam.
Don't take the bait.

I guess it depends on the location. We’ve gone for several years and never any pressure. Zero. I got tired of $400 glasses.

The glasses take a week to 10 days to come in, that may be a dealbreaker for Bob.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
thanks La Profe, price is always a consideration but not the prime one. Quality is number one.

They are quite reliable and even offer a guarantee that allows the patient to obtain different glasses if the original ones are not effective.

The suggestion of an ophthalmologist is good, if you can get an appointment. I did not have that option because I was ten days out of the hospital after 17 inpatient days, blood transfusions and various IV meds through a PICC line. There was no way I could manage visits to 2 different places.

However, the optometrist who did my exam at Lenscrafters was quite thorough and used computerized equipment. He also informed me that I had cataracts beginning to form and that I would need to see an ophthalmologist on my next visit.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We are going to Miami in October and my wife wants to get an eye exam and new glasses. Any recommendations?

Don't know if she has other issues or concerns. Both my wife and I have been using this place for years and both had cataracts done 1 day apart and under our U.S. insurance deductible; $5K. We have also taken a worker that was misdiagnosed by another "Doc" and would have gone blind with the treatment he was taking by him.

Glasses place in same building and they sent via bus when done. We live on the north coast.

https://centrolaser.com.do/

Dr. Juan F. Batlle Pichardo is great but I'm sure that any of them would do a good job.

Just a suggestion.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Wow -- Sunny Solar

GREAT information.....
I may need it
I see little 'bugs' flying around in front of my face.... but there are no bugs !!

Kills me driving !!

muchas gracias !!

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Another thought. Hotel Turey, Santo Domingo is one block south from the clinic. Not fancy but after eye dilation and/or surgery, is nice and close. The rooms have a kitchen so that was a plus too. Major grocery store and pharmacy a block west and several restaurants within walking distance.

Easy to get to/from the highway. Stop at the store to shop before going to hotel; one way street. Park the car and walk or use a cab.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Lots of good suggestions but she has already seen two different ophthalmologists in Santiago and visited her her cousin's daughter, an ophthamologist in the Capital. Twice she had had lenses crafted in the DR and both times she has had problems with either the lenses being done incorrectly or poor quality. Right now she's trying to get them to redo her lenses since she already paid for them and she can't see out of the glasses. I wouldn't mind her seeing another ophthamologist. This guy has been recommended to me by one of my relatives in Florida. http://kalskivision.com/ For me money is not a huge concern, proper treatment is.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Lots of good suggestions but she has already seen two different ophthalmologists in Santiago and visited her her cousin's daughter, an ophthamologist in the Capital. Twice she had had lenses crafted in the DR and both times she has had problems with either the lenses being done incorrectly or poor quality. Right now she's trying to get them to redo her lenses since she already paid for them and she can't see out of the glasses. I wouldn't mind her seeing another ophthamologist. This guy has been recommended to me by one of my relatives in Florida. http://kalskivision.com/ For me money is not a huge concern, proper treatment is.

A US of A ophthalmologist is not the same as a Santiago or Santo Domingo ophthalmologist. Unfortunately, this is a sad reality. There are some things I prefer to have examined and treated outside of the RD, my eyes are two of them. You have more than enough time to schedule with a US of A based ophthalmologist. I specifically mentioned the US of A, because your opening statement specifically mentions you are visiting there come October. If you were headed to Europe or Asia, I would recommend doing it there as an alternative.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
A US of A ophthalmologist is not the same as a Santiago or Santo Domingo ophthalmologist. Unfortunately, this is a sad reality. There are some things I prefer to have examined and treated outside of the RD, my eyes are two of them. You have more than enough time to schedule with a US of A based ophthalmologist. I specifically mentioned the US of A, because your opening statement specifically mentions you are visiting there come October. If you were headed to Europe or Asia, I would recommend doing it there as an alternative.

Not to get into a peeing contest but we do have some fine Doctors here in the Dominican Republic and have the education, background and certs.

https://centrolaser.com.do/doctores/dr-juan-f-batlle-pichardo/