Casa Mobel anybody?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Great furniture etcetera. Really like what I have seen on pics so far.

Now the big question:

Does anybody have some price examples for me? Could not find prices anywhere which is NOT a good sign. Might be too pricey for me. Want to know before visiting.

Thank you!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have purchased there... years ago.... and remember prices being reasonable.

We were in , looking & asking.....never used on-line

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
If you are still in the capital, they have a store at the base of the white residential tower near Malecon Center.

I don't know if they are still open, but it doesn't hurt to check.

This is the spot (its Google Street View, so you can move the photo around with the cursor): https://goo.gl/maps/pGVh9f7mKis

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Yes, I will go there, but wanted to have an idea of pricing before risking waisting my time. :)

They are in Santiago too.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Mike,
In 2010 I bought at Casa Mobel:

Dining table
5 Dining chairs (leather cushions)
Coffee table
Tv stand

Cost: US$3200

All contemporary design, intricate mixed wood inlays on the table tops, as well as tv stand doors.

It wasn’t necessarily cheap, but in 2010 I found it difficult to find similar interesting designs and quality for the same price anywhere else. I haven’t been in the market for furniture lately so don’t know what’s out there now.

8 years later all still as good as new.

Just realized and found invoice for a unique/artistic wood casual chair with leather cushion that I also got from them. $640

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I actually live in the tower above where they had their store on the Malecon, so I went in there a number of times. They closed a couple of months ago and I think they are opening on Lincoln, just past the intersection of 27th February. I have seen a tower there with a Casa Mobel sign.

Regarding prices, I thought they were eye-wateringly expensive. A reasonably basic table that you could get made in Villa Consuelo for about RD$ 20,000 came in at RD$ 250,000 and the chairs which were also basic were about RD$ 30,000 each. I never once saw anyone in their store, I think the prices were crazy high. What I would suggest is to have a look at designs, take your photos and get it made. Villa Consuelo is full of furniture-makers and it's a real joy to choose your own wood, your own fabrics and pay a fraction of the price that stores like Casa Mobel are selling for.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Dang, thought they are still there. Good to know, thanks.

Since we are about to move to Santiago, not sure with Villa Consuelo, but good to know too.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
CaribMike.
When you get here, give me a ring and we can go over to their factory which is near my house.

I was invited to go there but have not gone, so we can do it together.

Regards,,

HB

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Go to the factory or the showroom. Take photos of anything you like, measure it all. Look like you're interested in buying it. Then get someone to make it for you and save a fortune. It's one of the joys of living in Dom Rep as opposed to a first-world country where getting anything made costs a fortune.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Go to the factory or the showroom. Take photos of anything you like, measure it all. Look like you're interested in buying it. Then get someone to make it for you and save a fortune. It's one of the joys of living in Dom Rep as opposed to a first-world country where getting anything made costs a fortune.

Not sure if they can do what these higher end shops sell.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Not sure if they can do what these higher end shops sell.

If you just want decent furniture, go to Muebleria Nacional.

You can also drive around the center of the city and check out some of the other furniture stores. Center of the city will be the more expensive stuff, Get out in the surrounding areas and there are furniture stores everywhere.

Just out of curiosity, what have you been using for furniture all of the time you've been here?