Dominican Empanadas de Yuca

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Visited Higuey and the empanadas de Yuca are to die for.

I've eating empanadas from Cuba, PR and Jamaica in the past but the empanadas de yuca in Higuey are second to none.

Although not baked, they are fried, this empanadas are so good and just the steps to make them are a journey. If you have not tried them yet, get to it; best things I've ever eating as far as empanadas, no competition from any other place for sure.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Visited Higuey and the empanadas de Yuca are to die for.

I've eating empanadas from Cuba, PR and Jamaica in the past but the empanadas de yuca in Higuey are second to none.

Although not baked, they are fried, this empanadas are so good and just the steps to make them are a journey. If you have not tried them yet, get to it; best things I've ever eating as far as empanadas, no competition from any other place for sure.

empanadas from Jamaica?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I agree with you, they are 1000 times better than regular dough. No comparison. A few years ago, I made myself a promise to find someone who sold the dough, and let me tell you, it wasn’t easy. I thought about trying to make them, but never did.

I finally heard about a woman who sells then only in the mornings outside the Mercado in San Cristobal. Never could find her. Maybe sold out before we got there. At long last, Mr AE’s brother got the contact info for a woman who makes them to order in her home. 100 pesos for a dozen. I ordered 5 dozen, then carefully layered then between parchment paper and froze them. Took them back to the USA.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree with you, they are 1000 times better than regular dough. No comparison. A few years ago, I made myself a promise to find someone who sold the dough, and let me tell you, it wasn’t easy. I thought about trying to make them, but never did.

I finally heard about a woman who sells then only in the mornings outside the Mercado in San Cristobal. Never could find her. Maybe sold out before we got there. At long last, Mr AE’s brother got the contact info for a woman who makes them to order in her home. 100 pesos for a dozen. I ordered 5 dozen, then carefully layered then between parchment paper and froze them. Took them back to the USA.

100 pesos for a dozen? is that just for dough? how can she make money at those prices?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, often just a morning item ... sold out thereafter.

We have a lady in RSJ who sells them -- 25 pesos each

Very hard to find the dough....

My place in the ZC uses yuca for theirs....

A different world of empanadas....

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
empanadas from Jamaica?

What excatly are you asking me?

The empanadas I ate from Higuey were Dominican made off of yuca and they are delicious without a peer. I contrasted their taste to those I've eating from PR, Cuba and Jamaica and none come close.

The way these are made takes a heck of a lot of hard work but the taste and the final product is amazing. Nothing compares to them.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
100 pesos for a dozen? is that just for dough? how can she make money at those prices?

Yes, just the dough. 500 pesos for 48.

There’s a bakery that sells the regular ones made with flour. 50 for 50 pesos, paper thin and very tasty, so the yuca is much higher. Worth every peso. Totally different taste and texture

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

Yes, just the dough. 500 pesos for 48.

There’s a bakery that sells the regular ones made with flour. 50 for 50 pesos, paper thin and very tasty, so the yuca is much higher. Worth every peso. Totally different taste and texture

More Dominican math - 12 for $100 or 48 for $500 -

:classic: mob

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Does anybody know where to get good pasteles like puerto ricans make, or better yet, yuka pasteles like puerto ricans make. Every pastele i have found in DR Sucks:/

I'll definitely be on the look for yuka empanadad now. Thanks:)

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
What excatly are you asking me?

The empanadas I ate from Higuey were Dominican made off of yuca and they are delicious without a peer. I contrasted their taste to those I've eating from PR, Cuba and Jamaica and none come close.

The way these are made takes a heck of a lot of hard work but the taste and the final product is amazing. Nothing compares to them.

I think what G was trying to convey, is that there is no thing such as Jamaican empanadas. The closest thing would the meat pattie, and I think, that typically they're larger than you average dominican empanada.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I think what G was trying to convey, is that there is no thing such as Jamaican empanadas. The closest thing would the meat pattie, and I think, that typically they're larger than you average dominican empanada.

But they look so much like an empanada:

[video=youtube;ypQjoiZiTac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypQjoiZiTac[/video]

A rose by any other name.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
That's a Jamaican empanada !!!

G has lost his beans... loco in the coco.....gone over the wall.

Too nationalistic to know a good empanada when he sees one !!!

hahaha

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yup, a lot of countries have similar filled dough. Calzone anyone?

But THIS thread is about Dominican yuca empanadas. Please stay on topic.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
But they look so much like an empanada:

[video=youtube;ypQjoiZiTac]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypQjoiZiTac[/video]

A rose by any other name.

actually, it is not a rose by another name. there is a world of difference between a baked Jamaican patty and an empanada in the DR, which is fried.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018

I tend to differ.

It might be called meat pattie for giggles in Jamaica (I've eating them in NY and Miami) but its the same thing; just another empanada as those made in PR, DR or Cuba.

Made with regular dough however, the Jamaican ones are baked, in the other three countries they are fried.

Now, the Dominican empnada de yuca I referred to in Higuey, its an entire different beast. So tasty, so much flavor, in short, there are no comparisons among either of the empanadas (or patties) from any of the countries above to the empanada de yuca from Higuey, DR.

From what I was told, the way to make this things its almost a lost art.