Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why to avoid American Airlines

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why to avoid American Airlines

I’ve had decent luck with JetBlue except for the delays in departures...minutes turn into 3 hours.

However, citizens of many countries are aware of a War on Cash, in which government agencies and businesses refuse to accept legal tender.

BTW legal tender is a noun. Legal is an adjective modifying tender. Tender is a verb, it is what you do when you present something for delivery. After your meal, your duty is fulfilled when you tender the payment. Otherwise, if they refuse to accept the cash, you have committed a crime by failing to pay. Lawmakers had to be careful about wording these things.

Now, when I checked in at American Airlines in USA, they charged me US$45.00 to check my suitcase, and
    ...they refused to accept cash! Paying in cash is one of the many rapidly disappearing freedoms, and this one can be protected by boycotting the airline named American Airlines. At JetBlue I’ve paid to check suitcases in Dominicana and they gladly accept pesos. En suelo dominicano, pago en pesos dominicanos. But the airline named American Airlines won’t even take USA dollar cash, in a USA airport. There is no excuse for that. Uncle Sam is in a hypocritical War on Cash whilst operating big factories that keep churning out more cash.

2. Likes ben jammin, Conchman liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps it has to do with the war on terrorism, security and safety. Paying cash means no records to be able to backtrack to anyone specifically as it otherwise would be the case by accepting payments with a credit card.

Honestly, the end is near and bills/cash as form of payment is pretty much abolished already. We the people wanted convenience, quickness, efficiency, and easy of records keeping, therefore all of these is provided by credit cards.

We got what we wanted in a sense.

4. Likes cavok liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

they have not been accepting cash once on board for quite a while, for things like Drinks and the boxes of snacks they sell.. So now they are doing it with checking of Luggage ?! .. Probably a cost saving thing, more than doing away with Cash.
    I dont see how its Legal though... Once in the air , yes. "we dont have a cash register" is Logical..
    But on the ground ?? who can refuse Cash ??.. if someone where to pursue it it , this could be a good legal case ..
    Cash is legal tender, period ..... IT SAYS SO RIGHT ON THE PAPER, Printed and ISSUED BY THE US GOVT.. .. and you can certainly not STOP someone from TRAVELING if they are offering you CASH for the ticket or Baggage . that is just ridiculous and seems like a gross Civil rights violation. but then they may get around this by saying that they are not refusing your Boarding, just refusing to take your BAG.. seems like the same thing though, imo.
    .. I just dont see it being more than a Policy , which if no one Challenges or Sues them ,they will continue ..

oh, and Jet Blue also does not accept cash for the CURB SIDE check in.. but that is a convenience thing ..

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Uh...Miami Airport has machines that sell you a debit card and puts your cash on the card. A lot of airlines don't take cash now even on the ground.

I'm a little shocked at your indignation, it doesn't seem like a big deal. I get more angry when places don't take a card...

But you will be pleased to know that in DR the police gladly accept payment for multas in cash right there at the street for your convenience!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I fail to see the humor in this .. Cash is legal tender for all debts , public and private... denying TRAVEL is a violation of your civil rights .. or are we now officially saying that ANY person who does not have a Debit Credit Card is NOT a HUMAN BEING any longer , and can rightfully be DENIED the right to visit their loved ones by plane. ?
    not really a laughing matter ...

8. Likes beachcomber, Harleysrock liked this post
    Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

The first step is probably to contact the airlines "Ombudsman Office" and file a complaint. A succinctly worded paragraph outlining the inconvenience of not accepting cash in the originating country at check-in and how such a refusal of payment seems to be in violation of <insert national monetary policy here>.

Second step is probably a complaint to to FAA in the US or whatever airline regulating body exists in the country of origin.

Don't underestimate the power of social media. A tweet to #Americanairlines could produce much public outcry and support.

Your local TV station probably has a consumer affairs reporter who may be interested in doing a segment.

After failing at all of these preliminary attempts, it shouldn't be difficult to find a lawyer looking to make a name for themselves and cash in on a David vs Goliath case on contingency or on principle with press coverage. :-)

10. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

C'mon, they got the best cookies.

12. Likes KateP, AlterEgo, RV429 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jahjahwarrior View Post
    But you will be pleased to know that in DR the police gladly accept payment for multas in cash right there at the street for your convenience!

Yes, that's a method I have used when shaken down by AMET. "Sorry, I don't have cash. Will you take a credit card?"
    Last edited by drstock; 08-27-2018 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    I fail to see the humor in this .. Cash is legal tender for all debts , public and private... denying TRAVEL is a violation of your civil rights .. or are we now officially saying that ANY person who does not have a Debit Credit Card is NOT a HUMAN BEING any longer , and can rightfully be DENIED the right to visit their loved ones by plane. ?
    not really a laughing matter ...
    That's total overkill.

First, a person's "right to travel" doesn't mean a private business is forced to take any currency the traveler deems fit. Chickens and gold shavings as payment would probably get denied, as well.

It's the same thing poor thinking one sees with "sovereign citizens" believing they're being denied their right to travel because they refuse to be searched. You can walk or take a private boat wherever you like, but if you're traveling on someone's service, you're subject to their rules. Period.

Second, the reason airlines and nearly all banks are refusing to accept cash at the counters is because of the rampant crime that's taking place these days. Much of it is fraud and terrorism/laundering based, and both businesses are highly vulnerable. Electronic transactions are trackable, and generally safer for all parties (including all the other folks getting on the plane with you).

And AA's Contract of Carriage (their rules) have nothing to do with some passenger's sense of "rights" that they just made up and/or constant need to be offended by something.

15. Likes Mauricio, IslandDreaming liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

So now USD , Currency which pretty much the world Runs on and is good anywhere on the planet

.. is now considered " any currency the traveler seems FIT" ??
    and equivalent to chickens and gold shavings ?

Overkill , you are of course joking , yes ??

lmfao

not sure if I should laugh or cry ..

Seems to me then , it is THEIR Responsibility , if its SAFETY being cited , to make a Safe Area, where a TRAVELER can then convert CASH money to some kind of DEBIT Card they can use at the counter and can be tracked ..

Carriage Contract has nothing to do with this ... they can enforce their rules once they allow you to purchase a TICKET ..

But DENYING service .. Plain flat out denying service,.,. to a Cash paying customer , IS most certainly ILLEGAL and Discriminatory .. and as an Attorney I am shocked you would Defend this ..

But I guess we can wait til a Minority is affected , until we get upset about it ..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast