Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone actually tried to use 911?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Has anyone actually tried to use 911?

Had a major electrical problem in my condo. Sparks shooting out of the box and electricity noises. Literally shat my pants. Called 911 3x and they kept answering and hanging up. I literally gave up. Condo shut of the power and gas and waited for help from the owner.

Then another night I saw an incident in the Zona and tried calling and it wouldn’t even connect on my cell phone.

Anyways just wondered if anyone else tried using 911 and what was the responsivity?

2. Likes Hlywud liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have called them on a few occasions and it has been excellent! I called and the fire truck was here within minutes (granted the station is only a few minutes away).
    Are you in the zona? a house two doors down from us caught fire last week due to the power from the street being 250volts! I was lucky i was in at the time to shut it off, lost half our lightbulbs and a few other things before I made it to the breaker box though...

4. Likes cjewell liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I seen a guy's truck catch fire down stairs one day. Neighbors called 911.
    Fire fighters arrived in about 5 minutes and took care of business. Good stuff.

6. Likes cjewell, beachcomber liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

No I'm in Gazcue. My girlfriend and her daughter were here and we started to smell rubber burning. We couldn't find the source so we evacuated. Then in the lobby once 911 kept hanging up on both us and the security I went back in with the security to find the source of the smell (probably stupid) and that's when we could hear sounds in the box and wall like I don't even know how to describe and sparking. But the sound was like like zzzzz, zzzzzz pop pop pop - I thought the thing was going to blow. That's when security shut the electricity and gas off. Whatever was going on ran straight across the wall and blew a microwave and an AC.

Power here is weird - when I had a restaurant in Sosua and electrician installed 220V plugs in the kitchen - several rice makers, coffee machines and 1 almost fire he decided to tell us that. The owner was telling me power surges all the time lead to damage and my girlfriend who was here said her TV exploded once because of a power surge.

I was excited about 911 being here but I think its good to also maybe have the direct emergency numbers for the fire department, police station etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisdr View Post
    I have called them on a few occasions and it has been excellent! I called and the fire truck was here within minutes (granted the station is only a few minutes away).
    Are you in the zona? a house two doors down from us caught fire last week due to the power from the street being 250volts! I was lucky i was in at the time to shut it off, lost half our lightbulbs and a few other things before I made it to the breaker box though...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I've visited DR....six times I recall, and we are retiring in DR in a couple years. Was curious about "911" service but never inquired. Good to know 1) it exists, and 2) it works well at least part of the time. I suspect though, as with everything, it depends on location...location...location.

I see electrical related calls seem to top the list, as expected. LOL

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my staff collapsed at work recently and the manager called 911 repeatedly and it just rang and rang. She couldn't get an answer so eventually they put him in the back of a truck and took him to hospital. I've heard this from others as well, it's not the most reliable service.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend who works there in Santiago. They are kept pretty busy but I get the impression that it's a real service that functions as best as they can. It'll get better.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Works great.... I called when I saw two nitwits breaking into a car ... they arrived with in minutes..... then beat the thiefs to a pulp ... its also helps knowing the colonel and telling 911 its his house.

Post Thanks / Like

Any idea about the Sosua/Cabarete 911 service?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RDKNIGHT View Post
    Works great.... I called when I saw two nitwits breaking into a car ... they arrived with in minutes..... then beat the thiefs to a pulp ... its also helps knowing the colonel and telling 911 its his house.
    Hah hah...guess it also depends on WHO you are

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast