Trip on Ferries del Caribe

I love Azua

Dec 3, 2011
Had to go to Puerto Rico for business. Got in San Juan on July 28. Got all the meetings finished and now had to go to Santo Domingo for the last 3 meetings. The 3 of us decided to take the ferry, so on August 3rd. we got on the ferry. Very smooth entry on to the ship. $395.00 USD for the 3 of us, including a deluxe cabin to sleep. I can definitely give 2 thumbs up for Ferries del Caribe. Came back to San Juan on Monday August 19th. Also a smooth trip. I can wholeheartedly recommend the ferry and it was $280 USD cheaper than Jet Blue. The entertainment was great and we stayed up til 12:00 dancing and having a ball. Try it sometime, you'll enjoy it!!!

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
Had to go to Puerto Rico for business. Got in San Juan on July 28. Got all the meetings finished and now had to go to Santo Domingo for the last 3 meetings. The 3 of us decided to take the ferry, so on August 3rd. we got on the ferry. Very smooth entry on to the ship. $395.00 USD for the 3 of us, including a deluxe cabin to sleep. I can definitely give 2 thumbs up for Ferries del Caribe. Came back to San Juan on Monday August 19th. Also a smooth trip. I can wholeheartedly recommend the ferry and it was $280 USD cheaper than Jet Blue. The entertainment was great and we stayed up til 12:00 dancing and having a ball. Try it sometime, you'll enjoy it!!!

Hey thanks for the post. I have often considered to take the trip just to see San Juan and return back to Santo Domingo. I think I will give it a shot now.

mpz

Jul 19, 2019

Did you experience any sea sickness/movement on the ship? I am considering taking this ferry to San Juan, and I will be booking an interior cabin. I've never been on a boat before. Can you feel any movement in the cabin or other areas of the ship?

I love Azua

Dec 3, 2011
Depends on the sea. going over was very smooth but coming back you moved up and down abit. Still a lot of fun and met some interesting folks

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Did you experience any sea sickness/movement on the ship? I am considering taking this ferry to San Juan, and I will be booking an interior cabin. I've never been on a boat before. Can you feel any movement in the cabin or other areas of the ship?

As far as feeling the ship that depends on the person. I was on a cruise with a wife and sitting eating or even talking she would gasp every once in a while andcommented on the ship's motion, whereas I felt it not.
Derfish

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

If you go just take a anti sea sick med. The patches that contain Scopolamine work great. Just follow the directions.
Alcohol intake leads directly to getting sea sick if you are the least bit prone.

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
interesting ideas on sea sickness. About one third get symptoms, about ten percent normally feel ill and many others get tired. Your body will adapt if you spend time at sea. If it does not don’t go there.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
interesting ideas on sea sickness. About one third get symptoms, about ten percent normally feel ill and many others get tired. Your body will adapt if you spend time at sea. If it does not don’t go there.

I once took a ferry to Block Island for a weekend. It was not a long trip. The water had virtually no wave action the entire trip. When I got off the boat, I felt like I had the worst hangover ever. I did not feel normal the rest of that day and into the next. I decided I would avoid such future journeys.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I suppose Dominicans still need full US visa for a visit to PR?

A US visitor's visa or some other class of US Visa (or US legal residency) is required for a Dominican to legally enter PR since the PR is a part of the US.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Dominicans need a visa to go to PR, but PR belong to the US but is not a part of the US. That explains many things that is simply not seen anywhere in the US, such as selling gasoline by the liter when in all US 50 states it’s sold by the gallon. Distances are measured in kilometers and speed limits are in miles per hour while everywhere in the US it’s done in miles. The list is long.

In the US Virgin Islands, another US territory near to PR, they drive on the left while everywhere in the US drives on the right.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Dominicans need a visa to go to PR, but PR belong to the US but is not a part of the US. That explains many things that is simply not seen anywhere in the US, such as selling gasoline by the liter when in all US 50 states it’s sold by the gallon. Distances are measured in kilometers and speed limits are in miles per hour while everywhere in the US it’s done in miles. The list is long.

In the US Virgin Islands, another US territory near to PR, they drive on the left while everywhere in the US drives on the right.

Is there anywhere close by that Dominicans can get a visa or go without?I know Colombia and several S American countries but thinking about islands in the Antilles?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Is there anywhere close by that Dominicans can get a visa or go without?I know Colombia and several S American countries but thinking about islands in the Antilles?

But cost wise if one doesn't have a boat or private plane it is cheaper to go to Colombia or Panama than to another island here.
Derfish