don't be a litterbug

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It’s a start! Better then no trucks?

Garbage trucks pick up what's out in the bin. Dominicans seem content to just throw their plastic and cans and bottles and what other refuse they have at the side of the road.
You even see them tossing it from taxis and buses
Such a pity to spoil the county

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It’s a start! Better then no trucks?

Garbage trucks pick up what's out in the bin. Dominicans seem content to just throw their plastic and cans and bottles and what other refuse they have at the side of the road.
You even see them tossing it from taxis and buses
Such a pity to spoil the county

Chico Bill points out the root cause. Trucks are great. Pride in the country by not throwing garbage in the streets? Even better.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Chico Bill points out the root cause. Trucks are great. Pride in the country by not throwing garbage in the streets? Even better.

Not everyone loves their Country, those who throw the garbage, hate their Country. Simple!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Not everyone loves their Country, those who throw the garbage, hate their Country. Simple!

It is not that simple, not all that toss garbage in the street have been taught that this is animal like behavior, and to take pride in your environment.

An untrained puppy that craps on the rug has not been trained to poop in the yard or the paper.
It does not mean he hates his master or the rug.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It is not that simple, not all that toss garbage in the street have been taught that this is animal like behavior, and to take pride in your environment.

An untrained puppy that craps on the rug has not been trained to poop in the yard or the paper.

it is so nice to wake up reading intelligent remarks. thank you, Tio.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Like I said before and others as well i believe.. It has to start at a young age, with the YOUNG people in School, The teachers naturally have to be shown how to deliver the message
and then the 2nd part is to to SHAME the Older ones by any means necessary into Recycling and disposing of trash properly.
The key is RECYCLING the Plastics & glass , Metal they already do, because they get PAID for it .
... food waste takes care of itself .. they need massive recycling centers & incinerate the rest , they already do that anyway, but do it properly. This is what Tourism Ministers should be focused on... Go out there for photo Ops , picking up TRASH and Telling the young people to keep the Country and especially their pristine Beaches Beautiful.. They lose the Beaches,, the DR is TOAST.... If massive Garbage starts floating up at the the expensive AI Resorts , its game over ..

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Littering is just one example that is symptomatic of a general "the world revolves around me" attitude of many(not all) Dominicans. It's reflected in their refusal to dim their brights, driving like maniacs, butting in line, blasting music in their houses in the barrios at all hours of the the night, and bellowing like bull mooses in restaurants and in public in general. An overall lack of courtesy and disregard for for anybody else but themselves. It's gotten so bad even many Dominicans are complaining about these behaviors.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Littering is just one example that is symptomatic of a general "the world revolves around me" attitude of many(not all) Dominicans. It's reflected in their refusal to dim their brights, driving like maniacs, butting in line, blasting music in their houses in the barrios at all hours of the the night, and bellowing like bull mooses in restaurants and in public in general. An overall lack of courtesy and disregard for for anybody else but themselves. It's gotten so bad even many Dominicans are complaining about these behaviors.

That is very hard for me to believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Friendly Locals

Whenever NEWBIES speak about how wonderful and friendly the people are, and those who dont agree should move back to their home Countries, I cannot help but think of the things you have mentioned above. Newbies should not give advice until the honeymoon period is over!

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

Your comments make sense if we were talking about dogs, I was giving these "garbage tossers" the credit of at least having a higher level of intelligence than a puppy. I still call foul on those who throw garbage, actual really care about their Country.

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
The thing is, it's not just in the ghetto here.

Great point. One thing I was very happy to see when house/apartment shopping was rules of conduct posted in many private communities addressing noise, garbage visitors, construction, deliveries ect. Hopefully some level of decorum will start to trickle down. It has to start somewhere.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
That is very hard for me to believe.

Just for examples, why do you think AMET is removing the LED lights and Medio Ambiente is confiscating sound equipment?
It's because Dominicans are fed up with this kind of stuff - not just because a few posters here on DR1 or other expats are unhappy about it. I have quite a few Dominicans tell me they they are disgusted by the behavior of their fellow citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
since i see that the subject of littering moved posters' hearts so much that they littered the thread about businesses in sosua with posts "how sad it is to see trash all over, oh my, but it's the part of the culture, dontchaknow" i created a new thread for your enjoyment. entirely dedicated to rubbish. aren't you glad? i bet you are.

carry on.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
since i see that the subject of littering moved posters' hearts so much that they littered the thread about businesses in sosua with posts "how sad it is to see trash all over, oh my, but it's the part of the culture, dontchaknow" i created a new thread for your enjoyment. entirely dedicated to rubbish. aren't you glad? i bet you are.

carry on.

I thought we already had a thread dedicated to rubbish? It was called "mondongo", or something like that(?).

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012

Pretty much sums it up.

arete92

Jul 5, 2018
Comes down to education really, Garbage trucks will not help if people continue to throw their trash on the ground. It's sad and makes me angry when I see people do this from 2 year olds to 75 year olds, but heres the thing 80% of Dominicans do not have proper education they sponsor the I dont care about you or my community additude they're out for themselves and immediate family and sometimes just their self when the circumstance is right, I dont want to come off negative here but if I said something otherwise I would just be ignoring the fact there is a issue. How do you fix this? quality education! If this offends any Dominicans I do apologize in advance but objectivly your education even in your best Universities doesnt compare mostly because your teachers do not care and accept bribes and pass people for 2k pesos but also because the enviroment in which you live is not logical. Those are my two cents and again i'm being objective here not rude.

You know the reason why Canada works? there is a huge ephasis on community; any country that places their bulk love and energy on a family unit and disregards the community is doomed why? because your house can be clean and lovley inside but if you step out into a warzone full of trash and crime because people do not care then the society will never function because cities and countries function as a community not a single house family.