Opinion: Lavadoras Baratas

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
After years of washing by hand, bingo! I need an opinion. You know the cheap (by U.S. standards) washing machines made out of plastic, not connected to plumbing, filled with a few buckets of water, and drained with an outlet and hose . . . cost around RD 9,000 - 13,000?

Any opinions on a preferred brand? (e.g. Samsung, LG does not manufacture any of these). I was thinking about Daewoo, assuming that it is made in Korea. Now that I have googled it, I see it is manufactured in Mexico. I am neutral on Mexico manufacture.

Any recommend on a particular brand based on your experience? All these prices are more or less the same depending on capacity. So is one brand preferable over another?

I'm going to check Plaza Llama, Garrido, and California Sederias for comparisons.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Daewoo 2520, the good news is that every single woman in this country knows how to operate it!!!! Cheap, small, and don't worry if it's a chinese knockout, it's still the same idea.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Some you can actually connect to plumbing, no biggie. I used to have one many, many years ago, Daewoo. PITA in my opinion (having to transfer the clothes back and forth to wash and spin dry, couldn't fit much at a time, etc) but some people don't mind it. After that one I got a slightly larger digital Samsung but had to leave it outdoors and 2 years later it died from the rain and sun. Then I bought a lightly used large ("normal") Whirlpool and still have it about 8 years later.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I've purchased two Daewoo Super Power 11Kg and both are still functioning well after a year of heavy use.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
OP Summation:
I went first to California Sederias on Duarte. In their second floor "Electrodomesticos" section, they had such a large selection of Daewoo washers, about six different sizes, that I didn't feel it necessary to comparison shop.

I figured that once you've decided to plunk down around RD 10,000, that you can get a larger washer for not too much more money. We chose a Super Power 12.5kg machine, quiet large. It sits inconspicuously on the side of a living room wall with a painting over it. It seems well designed and a real workhorse. Time will tell how it holds up.

It was interesting how my girlfriend integrated hand washing methods with newer ones (but lesser modernity compared to First World washers). Since the machine has no physical agitator, she would plunger her arms into the washer while it was running, to give special hand attention to specific clothes. Then, when she felt something was clean, while it was still running, she wrang out the item and through it into a ponchera of clean water to rinse by hand. I had to convince her to empty the machine's dirty water, fill it with clean water, then do the rinsing in the machine. Needless to say, after loads of dirty clothes wating for handwashing, that machine has been running all day!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you could just move that washer to a nice shady spot - beside a stream....

everything would be perfect
Best of both worlds

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Glad you found one. Samsung and LG do make them BTW. Not my cup of tea. I have an over/under washer/dryer.