Has anyone from the EU been deported for staying illegally in the DR?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Ok, once again NOT deported for overstay (staying illegally).

What did you read that leads you to that conclusion? He was deported for living illegally in DR. No further substantiation. He could have been there 6 years or 6 months. We’ve been told repeatedly that after 30 days we’re illegal. I doubt they searched him out, probably wrong place at the wrong time

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What did you read that leads you to that conclusion? He was deported for living illegally in DR. No further substantiation. He could have been there 6 years or 6 months. We’ve been told repeatedly that after 30 days we’re illegal. I doubt they searched him out, probably wrong place at the wrong time

Do you really think that this guy ONLY overstayed on a tourist Visa?

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005

It says "Interpol Dominicana" captured these guys - I don't know if immigration now uses Interpol to chase over-stayers.... !!!

You may be told you are illegal here after 30 days, but really you are not ... lol (chil)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If someone is wanted by Interpol or even convicted of a crime in the DR they will get rid of you promptly. Whatever reason given you can bet that it is not for solely overstaying a tourist Visa.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Do you really think that this guy ONLY overstayed on a tourist Visa?

All I know is what I read. Everyone else in that article was wanted by Interpol, and they state why. This guy, just says living illegally in DR. Why would they lie only for him? To me that says he was where they were looking for someone else and maybe mistook him for someone else initially. I’m certainly not saying Interpol is in DR hunting down illegals.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I doubt they searched him out, probably wrong place at the wrong time

Its been my experience when it comes to dealing with Dominicans no matter what
their job title may be, it all depends on the type of day they are having. Not to take
anything away from existing laws but if you live here full-time you know exactly
what I am talking about it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
All I know is what I read. Everyone else in that article was wanted by Interpol, and they state why. This guy, just says living illegally in DR. Why would they lie only for him? To me that says he was where they were looking for someone else and maybe mistook him for someone else initially. I’m certainly not saying Interpol is in DR hunting down illegals.
Would not surprise me if he was hanging out with one of the guys targeted, didn't have documents and so got the stage exit. I'd be surprised if Interpol sought him out. Probably was keeping bad company while an illegal alien in the country.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
So maybe being in the wrong place/wrong time/wrong company could be the down fall for someone who has been in the country "illegally". Makes sense.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I would hope that anyone who is in violation of immigration laws would be wise enough to avoid the wrong company and wouldn't be here committing crimes. But certainly the wrong place/wrong time is always a possibility.

Think roadside checkpoint, immigration sweep at places of employment such as restaurants, bars etc, at the scene of an accident or a crime. When you roll the dice, you have to be prepared to roll with the results. Play long enough and the house always wins...

Slowly, over time, we should see more of these reports. Until then we can logically discuss the difference between being in the country illegally and being an overstayer.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A while back I posted that rumors about being deported or denied entry for overstaying were on several other expat websites(as well as on Dominican Embassy websites, travel websites, and probably the biggest diseminator of rumors of all - FaceBook.

Someone requested links to these expat sites, but since I don't follow or belong to any of them, I wasn't able to. Here's one that I just happened to come across tonight:

http://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=764914

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
A while back I posted that rumors about being deported or denied entry for overstaying were on several other expat websites(as well as on Dominican Embassy websites, travel websites, and probably the biggest diseminator of rumors of all - FaceBook.

Someone requested links to these expat sites, but since I don't follow or belong to any of them, I wasn't able to. Here's one that I just happened to come across tonight:

http://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=764914

Indeed lots of people are regularly being denied entry... for lots of different
reasons. Did any of yall hear the rumor about the snow people who met a guy
at the bar?