Cash

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
If you’re in USA planning a trip, ask for your cash in $2 bills. Nobody told the Dominicans to be prejudiced against $2 bills. A large sum can be paid in small notes but a small sum cannot be paid in large notes, and the country takes in whatever the travelers bring.

Exchange your cash at an agencia to get generally a better rate than at a bank.

All Dominican pesos come from the factory, to the central bank and from there to financial institutions. Do not worry that the bank will run out of anything because the bank can always order more. Visit a bank and ask for 1000 in 25’s and a tidy sum in 200’s. As you spend the 200’s you will gradually build up change.

Show no mercy to the supermarkets, which ought to be prepared with enough change. Be merciful to the concho driver with exact change, and likewise to any small business. That is where your 100 and 50 notes will be useful. By packing up on small change and putting it into circulation you help the people running the small businesses.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
How many $2 bills are in circulation?
There are roughly 1.2 billion $2 bills in circulation right now, and they are still being printed. 75 million came off the press in the last 18 months, but in that same time, around 3 billion new "Georges" have come into the world.Jan 9, 2015

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Just for info I had a 20 pesos bill (found it from last year in the back of the draw) and gave it to La Sirena cashier in PP, she was totally baffled, said not sure if we accept these any more, so called the supervisor, the supervisor had a good look, like never seen one before. But eventually said that's okay and take it. Cashier put it under the till stack (the secret compartment). I think they just kept it for themselves as a souvenir... ! (I hadn't realized it went out of circulation so quickly!?)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There was also a 10 peso bill that disappeared a long time ago.

Jan 9, 2004
If you’re in USA planning a trip, ask for your cash in $2 bills. Nobody told the Dominicans to be prejudiced against $2 bills. A large sum can be paid in small notes but a small sum cannot be paid in large notes, and the country takes in whatever the travelers bring.

Exchange your cash at an agencia to get generally a better rate than at a bank.

All Dominican pesos come from the factory, to the central bank and from there to financial institutions. Do not worry that the bank will run out of anything because the bank can always order more. Visit a bank and ask for 1000 in 25’s and a tidy sum in 200’s. As you spend the 200’s you will gradually build up change.

Show no mercy to the supermarkets, which ought to be prepared with enough change. Be merciful to the concho driver with exact change, and likewise to any small business. That is where your 100 and 50 notes will be useful. By packing up on small change and putting it into circulation you help the people running the small businesses.

Are you addressing this post to AI travelers?

Because you are surely not addressing it to people who travel back and forth, whether they live there or do business there.

Those people know that a $2.00 bill is likely to be met with curiosity and perhaps rejection.........even in cambios or banks. At the very least you are looking at longer exchange wait times....as the clerk likely needs to get approval for a bill they may never have seen.

Additionally, people who do travel with a reasonable amount of cash are not going to lug 500 or 1,000 or more $2.00 bills with them.

$50's and $100's have always worked fine for me.........

$2.00 bills are a novel idea.........but I can see no benefit.....

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...wonder what they would think of the Susan B. Anthony 1$ coins I have in MPLS...If you have ever seen one they are gold colored, must still be in circulation as I got them from a change machine.......

Jan 9, 2004
...wonder what they would think of the Susan B. Anthony 1$ coins I have in MPLS...If you have ever seen one they are gold colored, must still be in circulation as I got them from a change machine.......

That might be just as confusing......as they are likely rarely encountered in the DR.

The only ones I have encountered in circulation in the US are silver in color. There was a private company dipping them in 24k plate and then selling them as souvenirs, but I have never seen a US mint created gold colored SBA in circulation.

Are you perhaps referring to the Sacajawea dollar coin? That one is gold colored.

There also was a Presidential series of dollar gold colored coins minted for circulation.

Either way, it is probably best to stick with 1,5,10,20,50,100 bills while in the DR. Never had any of those looked at skeptically.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
That might be just as confusing......as they are likely rarely encountered in the DR.

The only ones I have encountered in circulation in the US are silver in color. There was a private company dipping them in 24k plate and then selling them as souvenirs, but I have never seen a US mint created gold colored SBA in circulation.

Are you perhaps referring to the Sacajawea dollar coin? That one is gold colored.

There also was a Presidential series of dollar gold colored coins minted for circulation.

Either way, it is probably best to stick with 1,5,10,20,50,100 bills while in the DR. Never had any of those looked at skeptically.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

went through a period of my colmado not wanting to take the new bills when they added color and moved the picture off center. had to change a few for tourists staying at the nearby hotel.

Jan 9, 2004
went through a period of my colmado not wanting to take the new bills when they added color and moved the picture off center. had to change a few for tourists staying at the nearby hotel.

Yes, I forgot about that changeover when people in the DR were somewhat reluctant to accept the new designs as real.

Then perhaps you remember that after they gained acceptance, some refused to accept the old bills as they thought they had somehow expired and were no longer valid.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
If you’re in USA planning a trip, ask for your cash in $2 bills.
I tend to keep the few $2 bills that I get, and give them to young people as gifts. When traveling outside the U.S., I stay away from from $2 bills, half-dollar coins, and silver dollars. Ecuador seems to hold the market on U.S. dollar coins, as you get them in change at the Trole stops. You do not want to do anything to prolong your time at the cashier, and presenting a $2 bill will do that.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I tend to keep the few $2 bills that I get, and give them to young people as gifts. When traveling outside the U.S., I stay away from from $2 bills, half-dollar coins, and silver dollars. Ecuador seems to hold the market on U.S. dollar coins, as you get them in change at the Trole stops. You do not want to do anything to prolong your time at the cashier, and presenting a $2 bill will do that.

U.S. Banks will usually give you as many as you want.

When I used to do a lot of business and vacation travelling, I would go to the bank and get a bunch of 2 dollar bills and use them for tips.

Believe me, people NEVER forget you.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
The 1-peso coin is rapidly disappearing as it costs too much to make. If they officially discontinue the one-peso, then they have no excuse not to start the 5000-peso on the other end. Like, if the peso dropped so much in value, so did the 2000-peso. I doubt they’ll do it any time soon, though. What is happening is, when you are owed 37 pesos change, the cashier gives you 35 pesos and maybe an apology that there are no more 1-peso coins.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
U.S. Banks will usually give you as many as you want.

When I used to do a lot of business and vacation travelling, I would go to the bank and get a bunch of 2 dollar bills and use them for tips.

Believe me, people NEVER forget you.

A lot of USA banks are run by ignoramuses who cannot figure out that when the branch runs low on $2 notes, that means it is time to order more from the Federal Reserve. Nay, it is easier to lie to customers and claim the bank cannot order them, or to tell customers who want them “Customers don’t want them.” They do not like me at town hall because I pay the property tax with them.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
The 1-peso coin is rapidly disappearing as it costs too much to make. If they officially discontinue the one-peso, then they have no excuse not to start the 5000-peso on the other end. Like, if the peso dropped so much in value, so did the 2000-peso. I doubt they’ll do it any time soon, though. What is happening is, when you are owed 37 pesos change, the cashier gives you 35 pesos and maybe an apology that there are no more 1-peso coins.

What happened to the little mints? Aren't they legal tender anymore? :lick:

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
A lot of USA banks are run by ignoramuses who cannot figure out that when the branch runs low on $2 notes, that means it is time to order more from the Federal Reserve. Nay, it is easier to lie to customers and claim the bank cannot order them, or to tell customers who want them “Customers don’t want them.” They do not like me at town hall because I pay the property tax with them.
Why would you pay your taxes in 2 dollar bills,just to be an a-hole or what??

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016

Boy... I guess it depends on the bank.

I have bought them from banks probably 20-30 times in my life, and most times they either had them, or said it would take a day to get them delivered from another bank.

I've never run up against a wall.

I bet if I talked to my bank manager here in the DR, even she could get me some within a few days.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Once it happened at STI where the Dominican bureaucrat and his supervisor refused to take $2 notes for tourist cards, but luckily my son had other notes. Other than that, I exchange them at banks and agencias and spend pesos. En suelo dominicano, pago en pesos dominicanos. Also, I sent compaints to the Minister of Tourism and Prez Danny.

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015

Why don’t they have a spot for them in their cash drawer and hand them out in change? Just to be potholes, that’s why. BTW, it ain’t my taxes, it’s their taxes that they impose on me.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I haven't seen a $2 bill in a long time. I do have a $2 Silver Certificate issued by the US Treasury - not the Federal Reserve. JFK ordered the printing of those. Some conspiracy theorists say he did it to put an end to the FED and that's why he was assinated(?).