Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question DR Academic Education Assessment

I would like to find out what is the equivalent DR education level to the Canadian High School Diploma (Grade 12)? and ...

Where in the DR can some have their academic credentials assessed...

Please ... keep on topic ... post all superfluous information to that new category in the "Open Forum" ..... soon to be comming!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Here it is called the "Bachillerato"

The student is referred to as Bachiller So and So.

Theoretically, a bachelor's degree, but that is the biggest joke since God made Little Green Apples.

I estimate that fully 95% of all high school graduates (and I use that term very loosely) are incapable of reading an Op Ed page in any of the local daily papers. Is this harsh? Perhaps. Is it true? You betcha!

So, while the Canadian H.S. degree will look like a lesser academic achievement, it is in fact, far, far superior to what we get here.

The sad part is that the ruse is carried on at the university level, where the Autonomous University of Santo Domingo hands out degrees as Doctors when the educational level of the student is hardly at the B.A. level. This is why there are so many Doctors in the DR. The lawyers are all Doctors, as well as the M.D.s...

Before the onset of private higher education in 1962 there were only four degrees granted at the "University" of Santo Domingo: Law Doctors, Medical Doctors. Civil Engineers and Arquitects.

And the cruelest joke is that that "University" claims to be the oldest in the Western Hemisphere! Even when it didn't exist for centuries! Oh, but never say that out loud! Like Apple Pie and Momma....

HB, on a rant

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As HB indicated, the education level of someone who graduated from a Canadian high school would be considerably above the majority of high school graduates in the DR. Most comparable would be the graduates of the good private schools in Santo Domingo. They employ certified teachers and administrators from the US, use texts and teaching methods like those in the US and Canada and prepare their students to enter American/Canadian colleges and universities.

If you want to pursue the idea of an evaluation, I would suggest you contact one of those administrators and see how you compare with graduates of his school. He should also be able to tell you how you compare with the graduate of a Dominican public school since he will know how his curriculum/faculty compare.

Someone living in Santo Domingo should be able to point you toward the best school to contact. Or perhaps HB knows of a private school in Santiago that is equal to those in the US and Canada.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default clarification of the question ...

If a graduate of a DR high school wishes to attend college or university in Canada/USA they will have to have their grade reports and copies of course discriptions translated into English and them assessed by a COMPETENT body in the DR... my question is that I need to know who that body is...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Question HillBilly & Ken

Are you saying that a DR University Degree (Doctorate), is not equivalent to a Canadian/USA high school diploma ...

Hillbilly what is the "Op Ed" part of the paper ...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As I indicated in my post, I believe the best person for you to contact is the administrator of a good private school, an American school. These schools send students to the US and Canada to attend the universities. Very, very few graduates of the public high schools make it to universities other than Dominican.

I believe you will find that the good private schools have some sort of link to accreditation sources in the US and that they have met the requirements of these sources with respect to curriculum, faculty qualifications, etc. I do not think the accreditation comes from a Dominican body.

Additionally, the students from these schools that want to enter American institutions of higher learning take the SAT examination, which gives them a score that college admission people can use as a measure. Additionally, these schools have acquired a reputation over the years based on scores of students on SAT, percentage of students going on to higher education in the US and Canada, performance of these students in these colleges and universities, etc.

Again, I don't think there is a better person for you to contact than the administrator of one of these schools. I believe, as indicated above, that the accreditation of students will come from outside the DR.

I know of doctors that graduated from Dominican schools of medicine that went on to the US for further training. But they had to pass the appropriate examinations to be admitted.

I don't think a blanket statement can be made that a DR University Degree is not equivalent to a Canadian/US high school diploma. But it can be said that a degree from a DR university is not equivalent to a degree from a US/Canadian institution of higher learning.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wrong on a couple of pounts

NO MORE SNOW: The Op Ed page is the page next to the Editorial page where people express opinions...at least in US or DR papers

As for a DR high schooler applying to a US or Canadian College..

There is no assessment body here. what can be done is to certify that the grades and curriculum is what it says it is and that the signitures are valid. This can be done at the SEC ED, in Santo Domingo.. It is called "Certificación".

The student will have to take TOEFL exams at the Dominican-American Cultural Center as per each college's requirements.

Some colleges might even require the SATs...

HB, factotum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorry Ken that has to be qualified

I'll put up any of our grads against any of the grads in US universities( Okey, maybe not Cal Tech or MIT but some are damn close!)

I know that our Med school grads from my university are far better equipped to handle Residency than most med school grads in the US! Fact! Why? They have absolutely TONS of experience by the time they graduate, something no US MEd school grad can have because of liability claims...However, we are not producing doctors for the US but for the DR.....
    What we are comparing are Highschools here and there. My stand is that the US and Canadian High schools are far better-with obvious exceptions, than Dominican high schools.

gotta go

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default certification

My wife will soon be sending off her papers to the British Columbian Teachers Federation and I'll let everyone know if her UASD Degrees are worth anything here. She has a Education Degree with a speciality in Mathematics and Physics and a Degree in Statictics.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

HB,

We are agreement that the public high schools in the US and Canada are much better than those in the DR. It is also agreed that graduates of the Dominican med and vet schools have had considerably more hands-on experience than their counterparts to the north.

Ken

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast