The R to L pronounciation in Caribbean Spanish

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
If you are interested in reading a good article on the R to L change in Caribbean Spanish that explains some key aspects of this linguistic concept and where it is more prevalent in Latin America, I have attached an article that was posted earlier this year in BBC Mundo (it is in Spanish).

The common imitation of Puerto Rican speakers by other Spanish speakers is prevalent and even wrong in many cases meaning when imitating PR speech. People tend to change R to L in a word (position) where linguistically it would not be possible which is ironic and incorrect.

Dr. Orlando Alba, a Dominican linguistics professor and native of Santiago has researched this concept and some of his comments on this phenomenon are added in the article. His points are interesting and accurate. Many people think R to L is limited to Puerto Rico but it is not. It is prevalent in PR but not to say that it is not heard in DR and Cuba. The latter has the lowest usage of the three but it is still heard in a specific segment of the population.

The reverse phenomenon L to R is associated with the DR (and regional) and in my experience there is still not enough research and documentation on this particular linguistic phenomenon. I have never heard L to R by a Cuban.

https://www.bbc.com/mundo/noticias-42414814

The article gets you thinking in a different light especially if you are aware of the concept, hear it on a regular basis and can make the distinction then comparing it to other linguistic concepts that exist in Spanish spoken in the rest of Latin America. In my opinion, it is another example of how Spanish today is still a language with many varieties (regardless how it is viewed) but is still one language.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
The R to L pronounciation in Caribbean Spanish and its association with Puerto Rico first and foremost is a generalization and most likely based on what people hear since it is very prevalent in the Puerto Rican vernacular.

However, although many Puerto Ricans have this noted feature in their speech what about those who don’t? The question is what happened linguistically (other than education possibly) and historically that has caused the differentiation and furthermore is the tendency most likely that this R to L change is a trait of speakers on the island vs. those on the mainland? As well, what about Puerto Ricans born in NY, raised in the culture and speak Spanish but do they speak with all the features of Boricua Spanish?

Having stated the above here are two links. The first one is an absolute gem. It is in Spanish but the source is fantastic and the document addresses the many facets of Puerto Rican speech, history and culture since they are all intertwined. If you have time to read this it is totally educational.

http://www.corchado.org/pdf/el_espanol_de_pr_historia_y_presente.pdf

The second is an article or commentary that I came across and it is about stereotyping as it relates to language. ‘You don’t look xxx’ pero habla muy bien el español. The author sounds Puerto Rican but he does not look Puerto Rican so he gets the look of doubt and surprise all the time.

https://www.elnuevodia.com/opinion/columnas/ustednoparecepuertorriqueno-columna-2058126/

-MP.

Last edited: