Pro-DR March in NYC

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Apparently, today (assumption based on the fact the video was uploaded today by Manny Solano, the bald guy wearing a yellow cap and glasses in the video) a pro-DR march took place in NYC. Many Dominicans, including tv personalities, flew from the DR to NYC specifically to be part of this protest.

The message of the protest in one image:

NYC.jpg

Video of the march:

[video=youtube;3G7E0Q1mPyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G7E0Q1mPyM[/video]

If anyone have more details on this event or attended, feel free to chip in and/or correct anything.

Last edited:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
This took place on USA soil, am I not correct? What has always had me "scratching my head" is why so much pride talk comes from people who no longer live in their beloved native land. Not being critical, just wondering.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
hey, that is why every country has a parade in NY. color me guilty, because the West Indian Day Parade is the biggest in NY, and only beaten out in the USA by Mardi Gras and the Rose Bowl. so, i see where people are coming from. i want the green card, but i am still back home.

Gorgon I think this protest or march has to do with the Dominican Day parade in NYC a few weeks ago. Many Dominicans decided to take a stance and not participate because it was planned that Haitian representatives in NYC and Haitian culture per se were going to be part of the parade this year. I read about it the week building up to the parade. Fast forwarding, the Dominican response from a participant perspective was no vamos a participar basically, spread the word ‘we are not going to participate’.

I did not follow up on the outcome but I think this event is linked to the Dominican Day parade.

I don’t know Gorgon. Pride is a funny thing. It brings out the best and worst in people. It may seem strange that these few participants flew from DR for this rally but what does it matter at the end of the day? It shows interest and concern especially if they do not live in NYC at all full-time or part-time. You know it is the old adage all talk and no action. At least they did something. They have to start somewhere by raising the voice of concern.

-MP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Gorgon I think this protest or march has to do with the Dominican Day parade in NYC a few weeks ago. Many Dominicans decided to take a stance and not participate because it was planned that Haitian representatives in NYC and Haitian culture per se were going to be part of the parade this year. I read about it the week building up to the parade. Fast forwarding, the Dominican response from a participant perspective was no vamos a participar basically, spread the word ‘we are not going to participate’.

I did not follow up on the outcome but I think this event is linked to the Dominican Day parade.

I don’t know Gorgon. Pride is a funny thing. It brings out the best and worst in people. It may seem strange that these few participants flew from DR for this rally but what does it matter at the end of the day? It shows interest and concern especially if they do not live in NYC at all full-time or part-time. You know it is the old adage all talk and no action. At least they did something. They have to start somewhere by raising the voice of concern.

-MP.

i will be the last to get involved in any of these matters of passion. i keep a respectable distance, because only Dominicans and Haitians truly undertand the underlying passions. that is why i steer clear of Haitian vs Dominican threads.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
i will be the last to get involved in any of these matters of passion. i keep a respectable distance, because only Dominicans and Haitians truly undertand the underlying passions. that is why i steer clear of Haitian vs Dominican threads.

I agree but I was not sure if you knew that there is a motive. People did not just decide to protest for the sake of it. What you and bigbird were talking about did not have anything to do with the the OP’s post.

This issue will work itself out.

-MP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree but I was not sure if you knew that there is a motive. People did not just decide to protest for the sake of it. What you and bigbird were talking about did not have anything to do with the the OP’s post.

-MP.

thanks for the heads up. you are absolutely right. i was not up to speed vis a vis the motivations..

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

-MP.

A day late, a dollar short? Still confused. From the size of the protest and the cost of Delta main cabin seats was it worth it?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
A day late, a dollar short? Still confused. From the size of the protest and the cost of Delta main cabin seats was it worth it?

I don’t know. Ask those who participated.

Edited to add: see the post below mine. It was not about the Dominican Day parade which caused its own stir of the pot.

-MP.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Some more details I got concerning the protest:

- Took place across the street from the United Nations headquarters and they marched to some park.

- Ciego García, the young girl that had her arms chopped off by a young Haitian, was present in the march. Upon closer inspection of the video, I noticed she's standing next to Manny Solano (the guy with the yellow cap.)

For anyone that wants to identify her in the video of the protest, here is an old video where she's shown:

[video=youtube;T6Upx4HxIRs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Upx4HxIRs[/video]

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I don’t know. Ask those who participated.

Edited to add: see the post below mine. It was not about the Dominican Day parade which caused its own stir of the pot.

-MP.

This is really getting confusing. NALS please fill us in as you get more details........... thanks

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The 73rd session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA 73) will open on 18 September 2018.
This is the usual arena for all the "sympathy for Haiti, down with the RD" rhetoric from global SJW's.
I do not want to violate the terms of the US of A political talk rules within this forum, but I will say that what the mayor of New York City did with the Dominican Day parade was an absolute disgrace.....as viewed by Dominicans.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It is time to build a wall along the RD-Haiti border.

i will not get deeply into what is none of my business, as a foreigner, but i will maintain one thing in all of this...

the DR did a darn fine thing with the regularization process. thousands of illegal foreigners ended up with residency and cedula at very minimal financial outlay. i have not heard much gratitude directed at the DR, just more expectactions of yet more unearned largesse. somebody on that side of the border can at least give thanks for small mercies.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ Caonabo, thanks. For some strange reason I knew you would know what this is all about. At least I have somewhere to start my research to find out what happened. My apology for being in error.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The 73rd session of the UN General Assembly (UNGA 73) will open on 18 September 2018.
This is the usual arena for all the "sympathy for Haiti, down with the RD" rhetoric from global SJW's.
I do not want to violate the terms of the US of A political talk rules within this forum, but I will say that what the mayor of New York City did with the Dominican Day parade was an absolute disgrace.....as viewed by Dominicans.

Certainly don't want to cause you to get any "infractions" but maybe you can mention some highlights of the parade?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Certainly don't want to cause you to get any "infractions" but maybe you can mention some highlights of the parade?

The Dominican Day parade this year was very controversial, because NYC mayor DiBlasio took it upon himself to insist that Haitians be included in the parade. Many Dominicans protested that, and were angered at the mayor’s interference in an ethnic event. They argued that just as the Puerto RicanDay Parade is all about PR, the Dominican Day Parade should be all about Dominicans, and be run by its organizers, not the mayor. In the end, the mayor prevailed and the Haitians marched.

There were many very angry Dominicans.

Whether or not this event yesterday was connected to that is unclear. I have found nothing in the Dominican or US press. As far as Cielo Garcia, last we heard about her was she was going to Shriners Hospital in Boston for prosthesis.

https://dr1.com/forums/showthread.p...cked-Cielo-Garcia-Sena?highlight=Cielo+García

Superpana

Jul 2, 2015
This march took place across the street from the U.N. this past Sunday in Manhattan. They were basically denouncing the all the atrocities Haitians habe committed against Dominicans, but of course they did not present all the stuff they do to the Haitians in D.R. This guy Manny is very one sided in his opinions and presentations. He is the Dominican version of the typical white supremacists. He is also very narrow minded. That is all I'm going to say about this dude.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
This took place on USA soil, am I not correct? What has always had me "scratching my head" is why so much pride talk comes from people who no longer live in their beloved native land. Not being critical, just wondering.

You know that you statement applies to expats who live in the DR as well. Go figure.