Possible To Renew Residency In Santiago?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Getting ready to go to US on Wednesday for a visit I was shocked to see my residency must be renewed this month. Time certainly flies.

Any possibility that renewals are now possible in Santiago?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
You can start the process there, but you still have to go to DGM in SD for finger prints, fotos, get your residency card and then go to JCE in SD for your cedula.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
might not be done this month....

but you just pay the $10 on your way back in...

do not - repeat DO NOT - show them your expired card...
it will be confiscated & necessitate a police report - Lost Card

ridiculous because it gets sent to your file in SD
Happened to my wife....Pain in the Keyster

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
... and then there is the cash penalty for not renewing on time. I confused the expiry date of mine last time by a few weeks and had to scramble to get it done on time. It happens, must be something in the air that promotes forgetfulness.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Getting ready to go to US on Wednesday for a visit I was shocked to see my residency must be renewed this month. Time certainly flies.

Any possibility that renewals are now possible in Santiago?

might not be done this month....

but you just pay the $10 on your way back in...

do not - repeat DO NOT - show them your expired card...
it will be confiscated & necessitate a police report - Lost Card

ridiculous because it gets sent to your file in SD
Happened to my wife....Pain in the Keyster

If you don't show your residency card, then what might they charge you as an exit fee? From the time from your last entry to the DR on your passport?

And if you come back in, unless something has changed, the airlines are including the $10 tourist card in the price of the ticket so you don't have to stand in line and pay that separately. (Not sure of how this will change with all the protests by Dominicans returning home having to also pay it. )

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It would seem plausible that without presenting a residency card you'd get dinged for overstaying back to whatever date immigration determines to be your last entry date.

If you do show your residency card, and it is expired, as WW says it may be confiscated and you will likely have to pay anyways. Not having an old card to turn in with your renewal application kicks your application into the "special circumstances" pile and we all know how much functionaries here like special circumstances. It would be nice if the fees were calculated from the date of expiry but that's not likely.

Paying the $10 to come back I don't think would be a deal breaker for anyone and is much less painful than getting a police report to account for not having a residency card to turn it with the renewal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It WILL be confiscated .. I know it b/c it happened to ud.

Leave while still valid...
enter with the $10 already in your ticket

Not brain surgery here.

and yes Buster... no card to turn in slows the RD speed machine a bit

Last edited: