Rich Dominicans are so ignorant

BillyRichards49

Mar 13, 2002
I'm just back from a couple of weeks in a hotel in the Playa Dorada resort. The staff and the Dominicans we came across in general were very nice people. However at several times during our stay Domincan families arrived at the resort for a break, sometimes in very large numbers. They were dressed very well and looked like they were pretty well off by Dominican standards. But these guys were unbelievably ignorant. They were barging in in front of everyone at bars and resteraunts, snapping there fingers and talking down to the hotel staff. The kids were very cheeky, but it is no surprise if their parents set the example. If the parents acted the way the did there in the UK they would get decked every time they went to the bar.

Saying that there were plenty drunk Brits who weren't much better, and I felt sorry for the Americans, Canadians and Germans who all knew how to behave on holiday.

Just thought I'd get that off my chest.

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Just to let you know

One doesn't get in line in the DR..

Stick your elbows out and dive in to get any kind of service.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey billy

You certainly exposed one of the most annoying traits that will be seen in the DR

The solution is to speak out! " Excuse me Sir!, We have a line!"

I do it all the time, and actually like doing it...

HB's pet peeve these days, is the driver that knows that the left lane is for turning left on the green arrow, but insists on using it because it is so much shorter, and then cutting into the middle lane lane, causing all those good drivers to have to stop and let him in. God I love it when I have the chance to block him in!!

HB, in agreement

needs_a_shave.gif

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Rafael's pet peeve for the DR right now. . . . . drivers that stop exactly where they are when they get a cell phone call and just talk away ignoring the people stopped behind them etc.

Unfortunately when some Dominicans get a bit of money they get really snobby. I went to Trio Cafe once. Would never go again after experiencing the Dominican Elite. I'd rather hang at a little terraza or Disco with nice people.

BTW, Hillbilly, can you post the number for Camp David Ranch again. I think I lost it and might head to Santiago again this coming Friday. I like staying there when possible. Thanks in advance. I definitely owe ya a beer or two!

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Returning after a long absence...

As a Dominican that was raised abroad, I've come to face the reality of living here. Like HB, I love telling people off when they want to jump the line, I insult drivers that have not respect nor consideration for others, and even store clerks that treat you like they're doing you a favor when you shop in their store. My friends tell me to take it easy and I tell them that I enjoy it, I feel like I"m doing my bit in helping change the idiosincrasy (did I spell that right?) of the Dominican people... I love it especially when I'm stopped at a red light in a light traffic street and they honk the horn telling me to take the light because there's no traffic coming from the other street!!! One of the greatest joys of my life is just sitting there and waiting patiently for the light to change and then, v e r y s l o w l y, proceed...it drives them nuts!!!!

About the so called "high class", to me they always prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they have "no class" (some exceptions apply)

Thanks

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Me First

Billy, It is one of the short-comings of Dominican behavior is what I label as the "me first syndrome". It could be in any line or on the road driving behavior.

The on the road "me first" behavior is the most annoying to me. It is the constant cutting in and out of lanes, left turns from a far right lane and right turns from a far left lane, and the speeding by some motorist's to be first in line, besides being ignorant is downright dangerous. These people do not reailize or just don't care that it is their behavior that causes the slowdowns in traffic in which they are trying to overcome by being "me first". I cannot do much about this behavior other than be an observer and write out my frustrations about it.

Hillbilly offers the best advice for "me first" line cutters, let them know you are annoyed and most often when you speak out the others in line will also take up the cause. In most cases the interloper will back off.

Regards, PJT :)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Holy mackerel Marilyn!

Where in the name of God have you been?! Welcome back girl, you've been missed. How are you doing? You have to tell us, down to the icky details :D

As to the OP, yes, most people seem to have the urge to cut others in lines and everything else. Like Marilyn I take pleasure on giving them stomach ulcers. And I also have a sharp tongue to help me...

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The word to describe the behaviour of the drivers in Sto Domingo (and Boston, fot that matter) is self-centered. I think people in general go through a personality transplant once inside a car.

While dining in a "nice" restaurant in Samana, I had to give a bit of a tongue lashing to a Dominican waiter..he apparently decided that only the rich Dominican families and my white friends were worth serving...he never brought me my order....I literally had to eat from my friend's plates....maybe I insulted them when I placed a side order of tostones...hmmm...that must have given away my status in High Society!!

jessica__78

Apr 3, 2002
RE: me first

Now I am totally understanding how my husbands mind works! He drives like a freakin maniac, speeds past people just to be the first at a red light,beeps at people the very second that the light turns green, he pretty much thinks that the road belongs to him!

rrwells

Mar 19, 2002
Jessica,

You've just described the driving of many many dominicans. When I first got here, everytime I walked down the street I jumped every couple of seconds from the beep beep beep. Now I hardly notice it or laugh at it because it is just part of the culture I guess. Also, pedestrians have no rights so I've learned to bow to the almightly internal combustion engine.
Rachel

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Just because a Dominican appears to have money that does not mean they are of the elite. The DR is full of Chopos with money and they are no different than other low class people from any other country who come into wealth.
Frankly, a member of the Dominican Upper Class wouldn't be caught dead in a tourist trap like Playa Dorada. They don't want to put up with no class, uneducated, cheap tourists.

Tony C.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
TonyC is right, you have witnessed the newly rich chopo (low life) in action. elite class dominicans don't really take vacations in playa dorada, sosua or other blue class hotel chains. Just because they seem to have more money than the waiter who is serving you doesn't make them dominicans of the higher class. Most dominicans who stay in Playa Dorada hotels are 100% chopos (lower middle to upper poor dominicans). You will hardly see any educated dominican acting in this manner in a classy hotel where people like Billy richard49 wouldn't be able to afford to stay even a single night.

Oh Mondongo, do you know what happens to your food when you insult the waiter? Yes, they spit in it.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
To Tony and AZB..Don't be so fast as to judge

When Playa Dorada first opened, all those that could afford to purchase one or two or more of the units did so. It was a good investment, they had taken away our friend's beach houses, and it was a nice place to stay. And it was marginally profitable. For some it was quite profitable. Villa Doradas paid handsomely every few months and Dorado Naco was a steady check. Heavens was so-so since they came in a bit later.

I think that the major change came with the switch-over to All Inclusive, and the search for the lower-income clientel from Europe. Whereas before I would be saying "G'day!" to all of my friends from Santiago, and where the same people would meet up year after year, nowadays, we feel quite in the minority, see few people from 'before' , with lots of exceptions, of course.

For us, we still like a couple of weeks with no cleaning or washing and having all the kids run around....read good books and smoke good cigars, eat or not, visit other places on the North Coast, and generally just 'hang' , and play some golf...

Finally, places like the Ibero-Star and the Gran Ventana get a very good type of clientel, as well as Club Dorado. While the character of Playa Dorada has changed over the years, it is still a nice place to spend a few days of R&R...

As for "class" well you all know that money isn't equal to class, and even at RD$1300 a day A/I you can't cut out the riff raff..agreed..

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I have a friend who works in one of our country's top hotels, catering to athletes, musicians, and the like. He is Dominican and works in Room Service, has worked there for about 11 years. Over these 11 years, he has befriended quite a few famous people, mostly ballplayers from the Dominican. He said he has never come across anyone so rude as Sammy Sosa...and yes, he, like most Dominicans is (was) a die-hard Sammy fan. It has happened repeatedly with Sammy...as soon as my friend talked Spanish to Sammy, he turned the other cheek (and was a crappy tipper, too)...other ballplayers have commented to him that Sammy is ashamed of his roots...makes you wonder about all that "Proud to be Dominican" stuff he preaches.

However, being rude doesn't necessarily have anything to do with being rich, I have seen many a poor Dominican cut right in front of me in a bank machine line or CODETEL line without even thinking twice. Not only would he do his own transaction at the bank, but two of his buddies, as well. I don't know if they even think about it...its' a way of life for a lot of them. I'm just happy that my hubby was raised with manners.

BillyRichards49

Mar 13, 2002
Why so defensive Tony and AZB ?

Obviously touched a nerve by staying in a resort. I think you'll find there isn't a great deal of choice from the UK other than these type of resorts. I wouldn't stay there again now I have experienced it. I have to admit there were quite a few no class, uneducated, cheap tourists. As for my education, well I'm educated enough not to judge someone for expressing an opinion on manners, but class is something I'll never have and I am indeed cheap.

I'm sure you two are the experts on all things ever to happen in the DR so I thank you for taking the time to educate us lowlife tourists.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
BillyRichards49, don't let AZB get to you, he just hinted in another thread that women are genetically inferior. He's done his sharing of attacking, let's see: Jews, Americans, Dominicans, poor, uneducated, etc. At least you can't feel left out. :)