Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vaccinations for DR?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vaccinations for DR?

Do I need specific vaccination to visit Dominican Republic?

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes Hlywud liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Get dog rabies for sure.

Too many wild dogs out there.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

When I went as a tourist for a week, only Hep A/B and Malaria were recommended besides the routine vaccinations. When I went as a volunteer for a month, Typhoid and Rabies were recommended. I got Typhoid, but not Rabies. And finally, when I went to work in the DR for a year, Rabies was again recommended, but I declined. I believe the cost to me would have been around $600CDN. I believe my risk would be higher where I live in Canada, and unless you’re involved in maybe a dog rescue (as I was in the DR), I would still decline the vaccine.

No one I spoke to has anything good to say about the Malaria pills. I have never taken them and would rather take general mosquito precautions and avoid Dengue, Zika, Chik-V as well.

In the end, I would not go without the updated routines and Hep A/B. Typhoid- bonus, but the others- nah. Everyone decides what they feel comfortable with, however.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auryn View Post
    When I went as a tourist for a week, only Hep A/B and Malaria were recommended besides the routine vaccinations. When I went as a volunteer for a month, Typhoid and Rabies were recommended. I got Typhoid, but not Rabies. And finally, when I went to work in the DR for a year, Rabies was again recommended, but I declined. I believe the cost to me would have been around $600CDN. I believe my risk would be higher where I live in Canada, and unless you’re involved in maybe a dog rescue (as I was in the DR), I would still decline the vaccine.

No one I spoke to has anything good to say about the Malaria pills. I have never taken them and would rather take general mosquito precautions and avoid Dengue, Zika, Chik-V as well.

In the end, I would not go without the updated routines and Hep A/B. Typhoid- bonus, but the others- nah. Everyone decides what they feel comfortable with, however.
    I would be interested in hearing of your experience with dog rescue. When we get settled in DR I want to get involved with a rescue. One of my passions and something I do here in the States. There are obviously many strays, but wondering what the specific needs are in DR.

I think I would get the rabies vaccine, but that's me.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When I first came here to the DR on vacation, I had all the jabs etc. recommended by the UK government. When I was coming to live here, I asked my doctor's office what I should do for long term and they had no idea. So, I now just take my chances, without vaccinations, like everyone else who lives here, I assume.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Vaccinations? For what, 16 years here without one and feeling better than ever.

9. Likes TontonRob liked this post
    Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Vaccinations are a preventative measure to avoid getting an illness. These same vaccinations also help curtail or contain the spread of illness within a given population rather than allowing it to run rampant from person to person resulting in an epidemic.

Individuals should be allowed to choose for themselves except when their choices have the potential to have a detrimental affect on others. In that case, you take the jab not for your own benefit primarily, but to help protect other people. Consideration for others is declining fast these days. You want to enjoy a bout of Typhoid Fever, have at it, but please don't give it to me.

Individual rights end at the point that exercising them harms others - the cost of living in a society rather than in isolation in the Antarctic.

11. Likes Auryn, JDFriend, JayinRD liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, World Mercury Project stands behind their site. Fake News/Science welcome:

Legal Information and Disclaimer
    The information provided on the World Mercury Project website is not intended as medical or dental advice applicable to the treatment of a specific patient. The intention is to provide a forum for the exchange of scientific ideas, research and other information on mercury in all its forms, the injuries it causes through dental amalgams, vaccines, medicines and the environment, and to present helpful information to those who have been personally affected by mercury exposure.

The information contained herein is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease. Parents, caregivers, consumers, patients, individuals and health practitioners must use their own judgment concerning specific treatment options. The World Mercury Project authors, editors, and principals disclaim any liability or responsibility to any person or organization for any loss, damage, expense, fine, injury, or penalty that may arise or result from the use of any information, recommendations, opinions and/or errors on this website or in our articles. Any use of, or reliance on, information reflected on this website or in our articles is solely the responsibility of the viewer.

Fear not, I respect your right to choose for yourself and I don't care what information you rely on to make those decisions. Some choices have consequences and in the event that you contract a communicable disease that is preventable with a vaccine, such as the Flu, Chicken Pox, Mumps etc, and pass that on to someone else who suffers permanent disability or even death, that you are prepared to accept your part in that scenario regardless of your personal stance.

The medical science is clear and we have over 200 years of documented evidence that the practice is effective. The internet naysayer community not withstanding. Even the doctor who started all this BS by suggesting that the MMR vaccine was linked to autism has been proven to be a paid shill and has lost his medical license. Unfortunately the Jenny McCarthy's of this world are a bit more difficult to sanction.

The DR routinely offers vaccines to young children and these are the same as available around the world. Additional vaccines are made available in the DR as disease outbreaks warrant. Vaccines, save lives, just like insurance pays if your house burns down. No guarantees that you will get sick if you don't vaccinate or that your house will burn down, but you pay for the insurance all the same. Alas, we are all much better off for every vaccine received, but I get that some do not care about anyone but themselves - we see that attitude in people everyday...

Kudos for the effort put forward by the medical establishment in this country to drag the population into the 21st century even when they can't see that it is being done for their own good.

14. Likes Auryn, JayinRD liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast