Vaccinations for DR?

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012

When I went as a tourist for a week, only Hep A/B and Malaria were recommended besides the routine vaccinations. When I went as a volunteer for a month, Typhoid and Rabies were recommended. I got Typhoid, but not Rabies. And finally, when I went to work in the DR for a year, Rabies was again recommended, but I declined. I believe the cost to me would have been around $600CDN. I believe my risk would be higher where I live in Canada, and unless you’re involved in maybe a dog rescue (as I was in the DR), I would still decline the vaccine.

No one I spoke to has anything good to say about the Malaria pills. I have never taken them and would rather take general mosquito precautions and avoid Dengue, Zika, Chik-V as well.

In the end, I would not go without the updated routines and Hep A/B. Typhoid- bonus, but the others- nah. Everyone decides what they feel comfortable with, however.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
When I went as a tourist for a week, only Hep A/B and Malaria were recommended besides the routine vaccinations. When I went as a volunteer for a month, Typhoid and Rabies were recommended. I got Typhoid, but not Rabies. And finally, when I went to work in the DR for a year, Rabies was again recommended, but I declined. I believe the cost to me would have been around $600CDN. I believe my risk would be higher where I live in Canada, and unless you’re involved in maybe a dog rescue (as I was in the DR), I would still decline the vaccine.

No one I spoke to has anything good to say about the Malaria pills. I have never taken them and would rather take general mosquito precautions and avoid Dengue, Zika, Chik-V as well.

In the end, I would not go without the updated routines and Hep A/B. Typhoid- bonus, but the others- nah. Everyone decides what they feel comfortable with, however.

I would be interested in hearing of your experience with dog rescue. When we get settled in DR I want to get involved with a rescue. One of my passions and something I do here in the States. There are obviously many strays, but wondering what the specific needs are in DR.

I think I would get the rabies vaccine, but that's me.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
When I first came here to the DR on vacation, I had all the jabs etc. recommended by the UK government. When I was coming to live here, I asked my doctor's office what I should do for long term and they had no idea. So, I now just take my chances, without vaccinations, like everyone else who lives here, I assume.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Vaccinations? For what, 16 years here without one and feeling better than ever.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Vaccinations are a preventative measure to avoid getting an illness. These same vaccinations also help curtail or contain the spread of illness within a given population rather than allowing it to run rampant from person to person resulting in an epidemic.

Individuals should be allowed to choose for themselves except when their choices have the potential to have a detrimental affect on others. In that case, you take the jab not for your own benefit primarily, but to help protect other people. Consideration for others is declining fast these days. You want to enjoy a bout of Typhoid Fever, have at it, but please don't give it to me.

Individual rights end at the point that exercising them harms others - the cost of living in a society rather than in isolation in the Antarctic.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Yep, World Mercury Project stands behind their site. Fake News/Science welcome:

Legal Information and Disclaimer
The information provided on the World Mercury Project website is not intended as medical or dental advice applicable to the treatment of a specific patient. The intention is to provide a forum for the exchange of scientific ideas, research and other information on mercury in all its forms, the injuries it causes through dental amalgams, vaccines, medicines and the environment, and to present helpful information to those who have been personally affected by mercury exposure.

The information contained herein is not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent, or cure any disease. Parents, caregivers, consumers, patients, individuals and health practitioners must use their own judgment concerning specific treatment options. The World Mercury Project authors, editors, and principals [COLOR="#FF00000"]disclaim any liability or responsibility to any person or organization for any loss, damage, expense, fine, injury, or penalty that may arise or result from the use of any information, recommendations, opinions[/COLOR] and/or errors on this website or in our articles. Any use of, or reliance on, information reflected on this website or in our articles is solely the responsibility of the viewer.

Fear not, I respect your right to choose for yourself and I don't care what information you rely on to make those decisions. Some choices have consequences and in the event that you contract a communicable disease that is preventable with a vaccine, such as the Flu, Chicken Pox, Mumps etc, and pass that on to someone else who suffers permanent disability or even death, that you are prepared to accept your part in that scenario regardless of your personal stance.

The medical science is clear and we have over 200 years of documented evidence that the practice is effective. The internet naysayer community not withstanding. Even the doctor who started all this BS by suggesting that the MMR vaccine was linked to autism has been proven to be a paid shill and has lost his medical license. Unfortunately the Jenny McCarthy's of this world are a bit more difficult to sanction.

The DR routinely offers vaccines to young children and these are the same as available around the world. Additional vaccines are made available in the DR as disease outbreaks warrant. Vaccines, save lives, just like insurance pays if your house burns down. No guarantees that you will get sick if you don't vaccinate or that your house will burn down, but you pay for the insurance all the same. Alas, we are all much better off for every vaccine received, but I get that some do not care about anyone but themselves - we see that attitude in people everyday...

Kudos for the effort put forward by the medical establishment in this country to drag the population into the 21st century even when they can't see that it is being done for their own good.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Do I need specific vaccination to visit Dominican Republic?

most important shot you need is street smarts and anyone who says my friend avoid like the plague...beside that's what a great country to live in...

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
The WHO and government sites provide this information. As for me, I do fine with tetanus, Hep A/B/C, and the standard childhood immunizations, e.g., MMR and chickenpox. I declined the rabies, since I do not interact with animals.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
The WHO and government sites provide this information. As for me, I do fine with tetanus, Hep A/B/C, and the standard childhood immunizations, e.g., MMR and chickenpox. I declined the rabies, since I do not interact with animals.

There is treatment available for Hepatitis C if you are unfortunate enough to get it, but to the best of my knowledge there is no vaccine available to prevent Hepatitis C. The only thing you can do for prevention is to avoid things like needle sharing, unsafe sex, and unsanitary tattoo parlors.

You DO.NOT NEED the rabies vaccination, there is hardly any cases in the DR.

I work with rescuing dogs, parasites clinics and spay and neuter clinics for over 5 years, have been bitten countless times by the wild street dogs or cats and never have come across Rabies on the NC.

Hep A and B for sure but you should have that for anywhere.

Vaccinations are the last thing to worry about here.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012

There is currently no vaccine for Hepatitis C, but it is easily preventable and treatable. In the DR, or anywhere in the world for that matter, a contaminated ice cube could give you Hep A. So again, Twin Rix or any other Hep A/B vaccine would be my number one choice after the routines. Although in some places, Hep A/B vaccines are now routine.

Hillbilly had posted a fantastic link to the DR childhood vaccination schedule, which I found extremely helpful. I had asked about it as a mother of young children, and it is reassuring to know that the schedule in the Dominican Republic is basically the same as many other countries making efforts to eradicate debilatating, life threatening, and preventable diseases.

As far as the anti-vaxer movement goes...this thread is not the place for that.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We’ve never gotten any vaccinations for DR. Years ago, our kids did, each year. The only ones that concern me are malaria (making a comeback in parts of DR) and dengue (I know there was talk about a vaccine, but don’t think there is one yet). I saw what dengue did to my husband, and it was scary. Pesky mosquitoes.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016

you are right about the Dengue vaccination...not proven to work....I got Dengue here a few years ago, and you get very sick very fast, you need a clinic or hospital fast...problem is even if you have Dengue 1 time, you can get it up to 4 times again...there are 4 or 5 strains...getting one strain doesnt make you immune to the others..........Doc..............

Does Dengue leave any lasting effects? People who have poor inmunes or really young or old I can see being worried about it but for the average person does it really matter??
I just assume I will get it here at some point. I’ve had chicky and Zika. Lots of people have lasting effects from chicky I know that for sure!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dengue is a bit of a specialty of mine.... 3x

The first time it felt like a protracted 'gripe'.... low energy, slight fever....
I am told the first case is the weakest

Yes, there are 4 types
No, the jury is still out as whether immunity for that strain exists after one instance.

The hemorrhagic cannot be the first - they say- only subsequent Dengue attack - second and on
I had that one my second time - Clinica Abreu gave me that advice
My doctor had had all four

The hospital is not necessary if you know what to do

My third case started (usually starts 10 days after the bite) on the airplane to the USA.

Slow start to the day - by midday feeling a bit slower.
Then the fever starts - 104-104.5F.... high!
After a day or so - cools down to 101-102 for 8-9-10 days

Headache is so bad you can't comb your hair
hurts behind the eyes

I had this both for #2 & #3...
one time was in a clinic....IV drip, no appetite
bloodwork went to the basement...serious deterioration
there is no treatment - just trying to make you comfortable as possible

My USA incident I just stayed home
Philadelphia wouldn't know about tropical diseases

Bed rest - Ensure & Pedialyte....keep your blood strong... it's your only defense & cure

I returned to RD after my own regime... perfect bloodwork
After the RD hospital stay (w/#2) I had recovered but they kept me 2 days longer to get my blood count up
No need for that... they just gave me saline.... no minerals/vitamins
I learned from that

Soooo
not much to be done....bed, and hydration with the Ensure & Pedialyte worked for me better than anything

As I said, the old thinking was after 4 trips you're done
That is being rethought !!

Same mosquito for Chicky, ...big one with white feet