What to use to fill cracks in concrete walls

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am just beginning my search for a product to fill cracks in concrete walls. These are interior walls. I would like to identify a product (local name) that can be used to fill these, when dry, retains some elasticity to resist future cracking, then can be sanded smooth and painted over.

A drywall hole filler such as Polyfilla that is available back home dries too hard and something similar here is probably not the best choice. Regular calking has the right texture when dry but doesn't sand or hold onto paint very well.

Any suggestions?

tia.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have seen small plastic cans of spackle, like used for seems or holes in dry wall in the US, for sale in local hardware stores.

Also I have seen what I think is latex caulk which should be paintable and flexible.

Alas, I have no direct experience with either to recommend either as being a great solution.

Locals would probably just enlarge the crack and patch them over with the same mixture of fine sand and cement used when the wall was originally done.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I always use spackle. (Masilla)

I just filled a bunch of holes in my new bathroom when I moved all of the accessories from kids height to adult height.

I also had to seal sinks, tubs and all kinds of other things that were never finished properly.

Locals love white cement because it doesn't shrink when it dries so they use it where they should be using Masilla.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I always use spackle. (Masilla)

I just filled a bunch of holes in my new bathroom when I moved all of the accessories from kids height to adult height.

I also had to seal sinks, tubs and all kinds of other things that were never finished properly.

Locals love white cement because it doesn't shrink when it dries so they use it where they should be using Masilla.

Is the white cement actually plaster of Paris?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Ideally I'm looking for something that when dry, still has a little bit of flex left so that the repair doesn't open up again with the next little shift. I expect to be doing this type of repair again, I would just like it to be in six months and not next week. :)

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The lanco product is working well. Now if I can just get the person applying the stuff to put forward more of an effort. :)

Thx all.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The paint store across the street from Super Pola on the hwy. The gallon container says interior/exterior in English right on the tub. Usage instructions are also in English.

My needs are primarily interior but will try it on a crack or two outside and see how it fares.