A Question For US Citizens That Live In DR

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
And have had their property vandalized where they live.....

Is there anything that can be done to report such incidents to the US Embassy in Santo Domingo?

When I go on their website, they have an emergency contact number, but it appears that they can only help in certain matters pertaining to arrest, death, hospitalization or missing inidividuals.

Does anyone know if they might assist in matters of vandalism?

I have heard that they might make a call on your behalf to the Procuraduria to which they would then call the Fiscalia investigating the matter? Not sure if that is even the case.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Common misconception about US Embassies.. They are not here to "help you"
they will however offer some assistance with some life or death issues and US
government related services.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
So I guess if I get arrested or deceased in the process of trying to protect my property from vandalism and/or personal safety, then maybe they will do something.

Funny you may ask this. I did kill someone in self defense 13 years ago. Bill Kirkman was the Consulate representative in Sosua at the time. My lawyer specifically told me to get rid of him when he arrived at the Police station. Nothing against Bill, but the only thing the Embassy can do is try to charge you with a US crime. I ended up with the just verdict of self defense, and never saw the inside of a cell.

Maybe they can help send your body back if you die, but other than that I would not count on anything.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
So I guess if I get arrested or deceased in the process of trying to protect my property from vandalism and/or personal safety, then maybe they will do something.

Deceased yes. Arrested no. From what I've read the Dominican government has been
known to drag their feet when it comes to repatriating the deceased.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What are your expectations? An arrest, payment for the damages, a shoulder to cry on? None of those are likely with the police and are not something the Embassy will get involved with, except perhaps the shoulder option.

If your property is being damaged, it may or may not continue. Plant a security guard on your property and reduce the likelihood of further occurrences...assuming the security guard stays awake.

Consider installing motion sensor lights, video cameras or allowing a couple of vicious poodles license to roam and attack freely. Post a sign "Propiedad protegida por la Sra. Glock y el Sr. Remington".

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
Deceased yes. Arrested no.

Well it does state arrest as a reason under the emergency contact number for US Embassy SD, but again from what I have read there isn't a whole lot they can do other than just some basic support to contact family members, etc.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you get arrested for anything in the DR have a good Dominican lawyer to call. And there are some good ones out there.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Well it does state arrest as a reason under the emergency contact number for US Embassy SD, but again from what I have read there isn't a whole lot they can do other than just some basic support to contact family members, etc.

I would never depend on the US government to help me back home and
I don't depend on the US government to help me while abroad.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It is my understanding that foreign embassies may visit prisoners to ensure decent general treatment, food and healthcare. The embassy may facilitate contacting a lawyer but will not usually recommend one. Most of the impetus for an embassy to become involved originates from pressure applied by relatives at home.

Brent was the recipient of such involvement but only to ensure that justice was pursued to a conclusion with some added technical support. Not all cases receive that same level of involvement.

Legal matters are a host country internal matter and foreign interference is not usually welcomed or appreciated.

You didn't state the nature of the damage being done so I guess your best option is to make the area brighter and less inviting.

Good luck. Unless you are prepared to permanently end the problem by terminating the perp, carefully consider direct confrontation. Things can go badly very quickly against someone determined to get away.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Last thing anyone would want is the US Embassy involved in any of your business.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012

Do you think Dominican citizens living in the U.S. go to the Dominican Embassy when crimes are committed? Anything serious as discussed, might be a reason to contact the Embassy but I don't see them getting involved in a local crime.
Having said that, "good luck".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Funny you may ask this. I did kill someone in self defense 13 years ago. Bill Kirkman was the Consulate representative in Sosua at the time. My lawyer specifically told me to get rid of him when he arrived at the Police station. Nothing against Bill, but the only thing the Embassy can do is try to charge you with a US crime. I ended up with the just verdict of self defense, and never saw the inside of a cell.

Maybe they can help send your body back if you die, but other than that I would not count on anything.

Exactly. Do not go crying to the US Embassy for help for problems in the DR. There is little to nothing they will do or can do.

What you can do is be proactive to protect yourself. Sorry to hear you had an issue like you did, jimmythegreek.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Have a dog-unfortunately, half chihuahua-half Dachshund-so other than barking a lot and growling at the door-there isn't much there in security thereafter.

Little dogs are the early warning system. Big dogs are the defenders.

Legal weapons are the next line of defense against someone who gets in your home.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Little dogs are the early warning system. Big dogs are the defenders.

Legal weapons are the next line of defense against someone who gets in your home.

Which prompts a question...what weapons are really legal? I would first need to get the weapon into the country. Samurai swords, tactical knives, bo staff, taser,...? Guns are out of question.