recharge cell phone at banca, supermarket

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
And all this time I thought I had to find a Viva kiosk open at that hour, to recharge my cell phone. A cab driver informed me.
So I strolled into the joint, unsure because I never heard of this, and said,

El taxista me dijo que una banca pueda recargar mi celular.

Sí, por claro.

I just could not resist the pun: No Claro, Viva.

Sure enough, when I handed over the money, she keyed it in, and my balance reflected it.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And all this time I thought I had to find a Viva kiosk open at that hour, to recharge my cell phone. A cab driver informed me.
So I strolled into the joint, unsure because I never heard of this, and said,

El taxista me dijo que una banca pueda recargar mi celular.

Sí, por claro.

I just could not resist the pun: No Claro, Viva.

Sure enough, when I handed over the money, she keyed it in, and my balance reflected it.

jeez....you can recharge your cellphone in the colmado these days...

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
There are lots of places where you can recharge your cellphone - gas stations, farmacias, supermarcados - even colmados as just mentioned. Many places.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Frankly, the best way to put money in your phone is by using the app "Mi Claro".

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
Frankly, the best way to put money in your phone is by using the app "Mi Claro".

The girl in the Claro kiosk showed me the Mi Claro app on her Iphone 6. I went to the App store with my Iphone 5 - and the only Mi Claro app that I see is Mi Claro Columbia. I even showed her this on my phone - and she went to the App store from her Iphone 6 and the Dominican Republic version is there. Any idea why this would be ?

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The girl in the Claro kiosk showed me the Mi Claro app on her Iphone 6. I went to the App store with my Iphone 5 - and the only Mi Claro app that I see is Mi Claro Columbia. I even showed her this on my phone - and she went to the App store from her Iphone 6 and the Dominican Republic version is there. Any idea why this would be ?

I just checked the App store with my 5S and there is a "Mi Claro" for the DR, PR, Colombia, and Peru. I got the phone in the US unlocked and brought it down here.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002