Residency Lawyer Cost

Cabarete2014

Mar 30, 2014
I just got my resident visa from the Dominican Embassy. I had filled my application request as a pensioner because I'm receiving more than $1500 a month pension as an ex-government employee.
Now I want to start the residency process in DR and the lawyer that I contacted quoted me $2500 American Dollars and it will include everything. Does $2500 sounds reasonable to you? The lawyer is a good and diligent individual. Thanks.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The figure you quote is not out of line with what I have experienced. Yes, it is at the high end of the scale. The initial residency application is usually the most challenging. If you found this lawyer by way of recommendation from someone else who used them and was satisfied, then sometimes you do get what you pay for.

For an all-inclusive price, you might be able to find someone a bit cheaper but the savings wouldn't be worth the effort. Everything gets more expensive over time.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Suggestion: No matter who you decide to go with in the end, request copies of all documents (both yours and anything received from Migracion) for your personal files.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
$2500 is about what we were thinking, for good legal representation. We're not going it alone :cross-eye

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It sounds on the high side to me, too. Average range is $1500 - $2000 USD. A friend of mine just started his residency and the local lawyer here that he's using who has a very good track record is charging $1500.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
It sounds on the high side to me, too. Average range is $1500 - $2000 USD. A friend of mine just started his residency and the local lawyer here that he's using who has a very good track record is charging $1500.

Good to know. As long as they take care of everything we need (e.g. translation to Spanish, etc). There will be plenty of hoops I will need to jump through myself.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Good to know. As long as they take care of everything we need (e.g. translation to Spanish, etc). There will be plenty of hoops I will need to jump through myself.

Just make sure that the lawyer is highly recommended to you and don't focus on price alone.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I have been quoted prices from three lawyers. Guzman-Ariza quoted me $1900.,the lawyer across from Terra Linda (forget her name)$2000. and Abreu $3600.. What you need to keep in mind is what the lawyers fee covers in costs,there are a few government fees that can affect the lawyer's fees if they are or are not included when comparing.

AAIS

Feb 24, 2016
www.abreuimmigration.com
I have been quoted prices from three lawyers. Guzman-Ariza quoted me $1900.,the lawyer across from Terra Linda (forget her name)$2000. and Abreu $3600.. What you need to keep in mind is what the lawyers fee covers in costs,there are a few government fees that can affect the lawyer's fees if they are or are not included when comparing.

Abreu & Associates fees include the following:
1. visa
2. guarantor
3. translations
4. Dominican legalizations
5. Immigration fees
6. medical exam in the Dominican Republic
7. required repatriation insurance
8. transportation to immigration office in Santo Domingo and
9. legal fees.

In the event that the client has the visa our cost is half of the amount quoted.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
$1500-$2000, $2500 is too much in my opinion.
You don’t need a lawyer for the first part starting back home. I did it by myself and it is not that difficult.

A friend of mine is doing that part in Florida right now. I'm curious. How much did that part cost?

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

Rocky it's sound high... who ever recommended this lawyer is getting a cut of the fee.... sorry pal to break this news to you

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Where are you? You can certainly get your initial residency for less but getting it done correctly in the amount of time you have before your visa expires is very important. You can save money next time :)

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I just got my resident visa from the Dominican Embassy. I had filled my application request as a pensioner because I'm receiving more than $1500 a month pension as an ex-government employee.
Now I want to start the residency process in DR and the lawyer that I contacted quoted me $2500 American Dollars and it will include everything. Does $2500 sounds reasonable to you? The lawyer is a good and diligent individual. Thanks.

That sounds high, but you can negotiate it down. Talk to a couple of other lawyers and then go back to this guy and tell him what you are willing to pay. Unless he has a line of people waiting for his services, he will come down quite a bit. The lawyer for my mothers estate settlement wanted 30% of the estate, I said "nice talking to you, bye." We settled at US$5,000 from about $40,000

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
$1500-$2000, $2500 is too much in my opinion.
You don’t need a lawyer for the first part starting back home. I did it by myself and it is not that difficult.

When I did my first Residency, my DR lawyer gave me some documents I needed to take back to the UK to start the process. Sorry, but I can't remember which. I would suggest you at least have a discussion with a DR lawyer before going back to your country to start the process.

When I did my first Residency, my DR lawyer gave me some documents I needed to take back to the UK to start the process. Sorry, but I can't remember which. I would suggest you at least have a discussion with a DR lawyer before going back to your country to start the process.

The more important talk you have is with the Dr consulate in your home country not a lawyer here but yes you do need a guarantor and copies of their id etc, that does not need to be a lawyer but many use a lawyer for that.